Jo sikh sir topi....

There is a tuk "beleived" to be said by Guru Sahib about Topi or Cap.It goes something like this:

"Jo sikh sir topi thhare,

Sat janam Kushtee hoyee maree"

In the quote it basically says if you wear this this will happen but "WHY"? Why would God make your soul suffer for this long? Sorry but in my opinion Waheguru isn't hateful in this way.

I always thought that back in the day they used to come up with stuff like this to deter people from wearing hats/topi's (topiya) because Hindu's wear these little hats for some religious stuff and Muslims do too. So people used to use wrath of God as propaganda.

I might sound a bit stupid here, but it makes sense to me that people could make up stuff saying this and that will happen to you for 7 lifetimes, for wearing this symbolic item that people from other religions (which we're competing with) are renowned for, to stop our people associating with theirs no? Or to make a statement that we are different from them and to act in a similar fashion you will suffer for 7 lifetimes etc etc?

I read something on this forum last year with similar tuk, might even be the same, but there was also something in there about wearing Green color and basically it was saying this and that will happen to anyone who wears a hat or green color(Muslim color?), but that wasn't said by any Guru Ji.