Planting Trees In Punjab But Which Is The Best?

S1ngh

My family is planning to plant lots of trees on our land back in gurdaspur. Can anyone suggest me special type of trees that are long lasting, gives shade and can survive mostly on their own (weekly watering etc) ?? We are thinking about roughly 20 to 30 trees...

wjkk wjkf!

pippal and bohar

best bet is punjab's agriculture university to find out what type of trees and plants to grow in certain areas =) or best for the land cuz of globle warming. i would contact them...there is a website u can go and kinda e-mail or even call the chair person to get u information=)

let me know if i can be of any help...maybe get someone to go and find out :)

thats an awesome!! awesome idea!!!

My family is planning to plant lots of trees on our land back in gurdaspur. Can anyone suggest me special type of trees that are long lasting, gives shade and can survive mostly on their own (weekly watering etc) ?? We are thinking about roughly 20 to 30 trees...

at least one neem tree, it will help keep the pests and insects off other trees and the neem leaves and oil can be used as pesticide. A few hard wood trees like teak. A few fruit ones like mango, kinu etc.

wjkk wjkf!

pippal and bohar

best bet is punjab's agriculture university to find out what type of trees and plants to grow in certain areas =) or best for the land cuz of globle warming. i would contact them...there is a website u can go and kinda e-mail or even call the chair person to get u information=)

let me know if i can be of any help...maybe get someone to go and find out :)

thats an awesome!! awesome idea!!!

there is no global warming .. it is a global fraud.

Good and interesting question. Honestly - after working my night shift, I got home and opened this page thinking, what dribble will be lurking on the forums this morning, as lately there has been little to wet the appetite.

Firstly congratulations on this eco-project. So much of Punjab is now agricultural fields that our forests and the wonderful wildlife that they once supported have gone (here I go talking as if I live over there!.....I reckon that the Punjab's mitthi can never be washed off - even if one was a 100th generation colonist of the planet Pluto!). Besides being a nice place for boars like me to roam in, trees help suck up pollution.

Acacias (jand) are the common trees found throughout Punjab, but maybe consider something like a walnut, apricot or olive orchard? Initially young saplings will need a lot of tender loving care, but thereon, grow independantly into beutiful trees in the Punjab climate as they are native species there too, and besides you will have bumper harvests.

p.s. As I understand, the mods are anti-meat, so I guess (being a boar) that I'll be safe there in your forest! :D

Good luck with whatever eventually gets planted there.

Cool replies :D

I am not sure but i am guessing that bohar and pipal takes loooooong time to grow up? Pipal trees got roots hanging on their branches and sometime touching the ground.. (Very huge and wide one) ?? I remember we used to have neem tree in our pind. (http://www.organeem.com/neemtreepicture.jpg)

Gurpreet.. i just remember that couple of months ago.. me and my friend asked bibi inderjeet kaur (pinglewara) regarding their tree planting projects in punjab and she did recommended some trees and told us that we can come to their nursery anytime and plant trees anywhere we like to... I think she mentioned "jand" variety couple of times..

I am gonna mix everything up and see how it goes (not gonna take any chance by just putting down one variety of tree)..

p.s. As I understand, the mods are anti-meat, so I guess (being a boar) that I'll be safe there in your forest!

LOL.. only if you behave properly in the jungle.. :cool: