Group For Gurdwara Comittees

I'm writing this in connection to my other thread called "Sick Of It" which was about the Gurdwara comittees and Gurdware with caste names in them. A lot of people have been saying to me that wen the time comes everything will get sorted out. When is the time going to come? Well i cant just sit here and watch this beadbi being done for much longer!! It is up 2 us to do something and i know that even 1 person can change things!! e.g Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale!! If he didnt say anything at all, what would have become of our Religon? Which is why i want to start up a group of Sikh youths who go around Gurdware in england and challenge these Gurdware and attempt to correct their mistakes. I am really serious about this and i have my heart set on this happening. If you would like to join or help in any way please let me know!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire your enthusiasm, but it’s going to take a major influence to combat generations of cultural thinking. Even if you change the sign board, you still have to address the prejudices and hypocrisy that exists in people’s lives.

Challenging people face to face usually leads to conflict and “tu tu main main”. There are people who currently take that route and although I don’t agree with their approach I suggest you speak to youth from Edward Street Gurdwara, West Brom or the Sikh academy, Ilford who are keen to travel around the UK challenging committees

If you are serious about this, then you need to change tactics.

From what l heard, the last main revolution in terms of Gurdwaras, was after 1984, if this had not happened, then the Gurdwaras would be worse off know. That was achieved through the momentum of the after effects of June 84, the ISYF were instrumental in getting rid off the Old Akalis, Congressi, commi's and pro- Ghandi supporters from our Gurdwaras, mostly through physical means. I do not think that the youth off today are united enough, or brave enough to do that know.

It was unfortunate that what the ISYF had achieved was undone in certain circumstances due to the youngsters not taking over or getting involved.

Today we have the same scenario, youngsters do not want to get involved within Gurdwara committees. If you want to suceed, then you need to ensure that you target a number of Gurdwaras (not those already doing Sikhi parchar, or managed according to Gurmat) and that the local younsters with like minded elders, get involved in that Gurdwara activities, i.e. start with Sewa. get the Sanagt on your side, through PYARE AND SEWA. Then you can make a sustainable long lasting change.

Otherwise like post 84, you can go in and force the change, but once you are gone it will not be sustained.

im in!!!!!1

and i know who you are singh LOl email me ur msn addy ill chat 2 you on there fateh

mke sure u email me ur add parjiiiiii!

my fellow brothers and sisters in canada are doing something similar

==========================================

THE SIKH ACTIVIST CODE

==========================================

All Power To The People

Recognize Vaheguru's (universal energy) light within all, and do not consider social class or status; there are no classes or castes in the world hereafter.

--Sri Guru Granth Sahib

INTRODUCTION

The Sikh Activist Network will work to reignite the culture of social activism in the Sikh path. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) represents our manifesto and inspiration for social change. It advocates a message of love for all and the equality of all people regardless of their caste, color, creed, gender or sex. The SGGS promotes the pursuit of a society which embodies these principles.

We call upon all people to stand united against social injustice and oppression. We urge all people to join in the resistance against the forces of imperialism, capitalism, and neo colonialism, which subject our people to exploitation and degradation. In our struggle we recognize that racism and sexism are products of capitalism, classism and casteism.

Inspired by Sikh spirituality we hold equality as our cornerstone. We will develop and work through non hierarchal grassroots initiatives with all communities to achieve our goals.

OUR PLATFORM

1. We want freedom for all people, and the ability to pursue this freedom.

2. We demand food clothes shelter for all people and an end to the exploitation of the working class.

3. We demand an end to the racist war on immigrants and refugees. We demand an end to the deportations and status for all. No human is illegal.

4. We support the people's right to self determination and community based decision making. We stand in solidarity, fist clenched, from Palestine to Punjab and support all struggles for freedom.

5. We stand with our Indigenous sisters and brothers in their ongoing struggle against the theft of their land.

6. We demand an end to state terrorism, an end to police brutality and racial profiling.

7. We oppose the forces of patriarchy and the exploitation of our sisters and mothers. We oppose all forms of sexism and gender inequity.

8. We struggle for a return to our original spiritual roots of "Sikh dharma" as a meditative, spiritual way of life as opposed to an institutionalized religion.

9. We stand against the corruption, classism and monopoly that afflicts the vast majority of committees that govern our spiritual centres (Gurdwaras). We want the community to have the power in our social and spiritual spaces, and not the select few.

they are willing to lend a hand i have been told by one of its comrades