Need Help: Gursikh Sweet/ Samosay Shop In Wolverhampton?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot understand why the family insist it has to be an Amritdhari cook - did they covert from Brahmins in the past? It just smacks of casteism to me.

Its called doing pakand. Do they insist their Basmati rice is from a Sikh supplier ? their electricity, gas, water etc etc. I hope they know how water is recycled in the UK, so they maybe drinking water once excreted by non Sikhs.

Its called doing pakand. Do they insist their Basmati rice is from a Sikh supplier ? their electricity, gas, water etc etc. I hope they know how water is recycled in the UK, so they maybe drinking water once excreted by non Sikhs.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to eat from the hands of an amritdahri only, its called Rehit, calling it pakhand is insulting.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to eat from the hands of an amritdahri only its called Rehit, calling it pakhand is insulting.

It is pakand if you happily shop at Sainsburys and do not source anything else from a Sikh supplier. So I guess sharab from an amritdhari owned store is ok.

Whats going to be difference in buying a samosa from a Singh's shop ? People mention Desi Sweet Centre but sometimes a non amritdhari lady serves in the shop who does not even cover her head with a chunni.

If people are so concerned they can always make samosa at home, its hardly rocket science and at least you know what has gone into them.

ROFL funny guys, first you ask questions but then immediately move on to uninformed insults (while going heavily off topic). Anway you should know that its actually called bibek or sarbloh bibek, and we should give our respect to the khalsa ji's who can remain firm in it. btw you also insulted countless shaheeds who kept it

read http://naam-jor.blogspot.com/2007/01/sarbloh-bibek.html and please stop going off topic :)

I think we should respect people's lifestyle. As people may or may not know there are group of Gursikhs who only eat food cooked by Gursikh people. This is actually part of their rehat. Shopping for raw things like potatoes, vegetables from shops such as Sainsburys is okay as its not cooked food. As is being served by people at Sainsburys for these raw goods....but you see the actual cooking has to done by fellow Gursikhs.

Since it is part of their Amritdhari Rehat then I think we should stop trying to force them to break it. :)

Anyways to bring the thread back to topic: sher_punjabi did u find a shop?

EDIT: Sorry it seems Singhstah said it before me. lol

I think we should respect people's lifestyle. As people may or may not know there are group of Gursikhs who only eat food cooked by Gursikh people. This is actually part of their rehat. Shopping for raw things like potatoes, vegetables from shops such as Sainsburys is okay as its not cooked food. As is being served by people at Sainsburys for these raw goods....but you see the actual cooking has to done by fellow Gursikhs....as it is part of their Amritdhari Rehat then lets not force them to break it. :)

Anyways to bring the thread back to topic: sher_punjabi did u find a shop?

I am going to be very sort of naive here, but I can't see what the difference it has on cooked or non-cooked food, surely both foods including raw vegetables are prepared and cleaned by non-amritdhari or even non sikhs and what about the chapati flour, thats also milled by non-sikhs and non-amritdhari.

Bibek I am personally thinking...only food that is handled by amritdhari, if this is correct (please correct me if I am wrong) is fine by a Gursikh, if they go to supermarket, shop, you can also find cooked meals and food stuff then that really makes that particular Gursikh a hypocrite....but as per singstahs post...the link he has given says that this rehit is not a necessity and that a person who recites the lords name can accept food from anyone (not sure if it says exactly like this tho)...then there is the argument, why drink Milk, surely that comes from an animal and you can't have an amritdhari animal, and is say prepared by the animal and of course cheese...most of us eat it and is prepared and cooked by non-sikhs...I am pretty confused about this bibek thing...but surely someone has a definite answer to this.

But in all cases, we must respect the persons decision even if we think its incorrect or correct, all the best to everyone who makes their own decisions especially in modern age like this.

I am going to be very sort of naive here, but I can't see what the difference it has on cooked or non-cooked food,

I don't mind questions and no question is ever naive. I think you people are confused. From what I can gather your thinking its cos non gursikhs are untouchable and so anything nongursikhs touch becomes impure. This is absolutely not the reason. It's not about looking down upon anyone; the people concerned only want their food made a certain way.

I have about 8 mins to explain this before I have to go and catch my train home so please excuse me if my explanation is short.

So let me begin explaining - This rehat involves the belief that you are what you eat. The society we live in already believes this so many of you will already agree. eg eat chips you get fatty deposits in your artery. However this rehat does not stop there - it actually goes further. It believes in sucham. A lot of Indians already have that belief so you will all understand that. However it does not even stop there – it goes one step further by also believing that the people who prepare the food ie cooking, the environment it is cooked ie whether japping naam or not also has an influence on you. So in this case: you are what you eat is not only the food you eat but also who and where it was made.

The best example I can give of this is when we take amrit. Amrit is simply water and pitassa. But it has to be prepared by Panj Pyare Gursikhs and you have to jap naam. I could literally get tap water and throw some pitassa in and say voila amrit but none of u would say its amrit. This rehat is basically the same, the preparation of food is just as important as the food itself.

Also in the rehat you are not fussed about the raw materials ie the water, the milk, the apple....just like in the amrit ceremony you don't fuss about the water: its actually the making process or cooking which has to be in a gursikh environment.

if they go to supermarket, shop, you can also find cooked meals and food stuff then that really makes that particular Gursikh a hypocrite....

Your right - those who keep the rehat don't buy ready made meals at the supermarket. Also they don't eat at restaurants unless they are sure of how the food is made. Nearly 100% of the time they always make their own food and take roti and sabji to work.

but as per singstahs post...the link he has given says that this rehit is not a necessity and that a person who recites the lords name can accept food from anyone (not sure if it says exactly like this tho)...

I looked at Singhstah's link. Its a blog so its not an informational site...but the info on there is good..Also nothing is wrong with the quote you wrote out but you missed the context in which it was written. The person is saying something similar to - there is no point in japping naam if you do evil deeds. It doesn't mean there is no point in japping naam cos naam japping is important. Likewise if you can - you should try to keep this rehat but not at the expense of other things ie naam jap.

then there is the argument, why drink Milk, surely that comes from an animal and you can't have an amritdhari animal,

I think I have answered this above. Its the actual cooking as opposed to the raw goods.

and is say prepared by the animal and of course cheese...most of us eat it and is prepared and cooked by non-sikhs...I am pretty confused about this bibek thing...but surely someone has a definite answer to this.

People who keep the rehat don't eat shop cheese, just like they don’t eat ready meals. I hope thats made it clear. :)

Gonna catch my train now Ji.

I am going to be very sort of naive here, but I can't see what the difference it has on cooked or non-cooked food,

I don't mind questions and no question is ever naive. I think you people are confused. From what I can gather your thinking its cos non gursikhs are untouchable and so anything nongursikhs touch becomes impure. This is absolutely not the reason. It's not about looking down upon anyone; the people concerned only want their food made a certain way.

I have about 8 mins to explain this before I have to go and catch my train home so please excuse me if my explanation is short.

So let me begin explaining - This rehat involves the belief that you are what you eat. The society we live in already believes this so many of you will already agree. eg eat chips you get fatty deposits in your artery. However this rehat does not stop there - it actually goes further. It believes in sucham. A lot of Indians already have that belief so you will all understand that. However it does not even stop there – it goes one step further by also believing that the people who prepare the food ie cooking, the environment it is cooked ie whether japping naam or not also has an influence on you. So in this case: you are what you eat is not only the food you eat but also who and where it was made.

The best example I can give of this is when we take amrit. Amrit is simply water and pitassa. But it has to be prepared by Panj Pyare Gursikhs and you have to jap naam. I could literally get tap water and throw some pitassa in and say voila amrit but none of u would say its amrit. This rehat is basically the same, the preparation of food is just as important as the food itself.

Also in the rehat you are not fussed about the raw materials ie the water, the milk, the apple....just like in the amrit ceremony you don't fuss about the water: its actually the making process or cooking which has to be in a gursikh environment.

if they go to supermarket, shop, you can also find cooked meals and food stuff then that really makes that particular Gursikh a hypocrite....

Your right - those who keep the rehat don't buy ready made meals at the supermarket. Also they don't eat at restaurants unless they are sure of how the food is made. Nearly 100% of the time they always make their own food and take roti and sabji to work.

but as per singstahs post...the link he has given says that this rehit is not a necessity and that a person who recites the lords name can accept food from anyone (not sure if it says exactly like this tho)...

I looked at Singhstah's link. Its a blog so its not an informational site...but the info on there is good..Also nothing is wrong with the quote you wrote out but you missed the context in which it was written. The person is saying something similar to - there is no point in japping naam if you do evil deeds. It doesn't mean there is no point in japping naam cos naam japping is important. Likewise if you can - you should try to keep this rehat but not at the expense of other things ie naam jap.

then there is the argument, why drink Milk, surely that comes from an animal and you can't have an amritdhari animal,

I think I have answered this above. Its the actual cooking as opposed to the raw goods.

and is say prepared by the animal and of course cheese...most of us eat it and is prepared and cooked by non-sikhs...I am pretty confused about this bibek thing...but surely someone has a definite answer to this.

People who keep the rehat don't eat shop cheese, just like they don’t eat ready meals. I hope thats made it clear. :)

Gonna catch my train now Ji.

Ok, very well explained...now I know....so now the question is why are not all amritdhari's following these rules? For example, I know a vey few Gursikhs who do eat out....but are also chardikalla.

ROFL funny guys, first you ask questions but then immediately move on to uninformed insults (while going heavily off topic). Anway you should know that its actually called bibek or sarbloh bibek, and we should give our respect to the khalsa ji's who can remain firm in it. btw you also insulted countless shaheeds who kept it

read http://naam-jor.blogspot.com/2007/01/sarbloh-bibek.html and please stop going off topic :)

Yes I do know about Tapoban Sahib type sarbloh bibek, but Mr Barfi Singh is hardly going to be boiling his aloo in a sarbloh cooking pot.

There is a family function in Walsall and they want to get Barfi and samosay from an Amritdhari shop (or if none at all, at least Keshdhari Rehat wale).

The original post wanted barfi and samosay from an Amritdhari shop, no mention of bibek etc. Buying from an amritdhari shop is no guarantee of suchum. Have you ever seen the kitchen areas for barfi shops ? Most the aunties filling the samosa have chunee around their neck rather than covering their heads.

I even had a samosa from one of the so called amritdhari shops mentioned on this thread and it had a hair in it so there goes the theory that amritdhari shops will have better suchum.