Kaju Barfi

priyap

.was in india few weeks back and it was my bdy so me n my mum bought some kaju barfi (the one with the silver foil thing) and cause my massi ji and massar ji are strict veg's whereas i just dont eat meat and i eat egg (step by step) and we offerd them some and they said noo because kaju barfi 's covering the silver foil like thing is made of fish's skinnn... always thought this was made of foil LOL.could some shed some light on thisss???? cause kaju barfi is the only barfi i eat and like.

Hey....well I found thisL

http://www.jainworld.com/society/jainfood/silverfl.htm

will need to do some digging around...I think if you buy it in the 'West' it would not involve intestines but I cannot vouch for India...may be worth speaking to your local indian restaurant chef or sweet centre..

Found this aswell...

http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2006/09/silver-fo...ets-health.html

Hey....well I found thisL

http://www.jainworld.com/society/jainfood/silverfl.htm

will need to do some digging around...I think if you buy it in the 'West' it would not involve intestines but I cannot vouch for India...may be worth speaking to your local indian restaurant chef or sweet centre..

Found this aswell...

http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2006/09/silver-fo...ets-health.html

Thanks for that rather intresting

u actually dont need any silver 'vrk' on kaju barfi as its just decoration to make it look special and appetising .kaju barfi is dead easy to make at home and tastier too than that of shops .all you need is to make some khoa which again is dead easy ,and grind up someunsalted raw cashew nuts into a powder in a little spice blender ,then mix up the two gently in a warm karai/karai with a sprinkling of cardamon powder(optional).then u prepare a thick about ''2 string syrup ''and pour it in the mixture and stir till it forms a loose round ball in your kwok/karai.then u quickly slap it down into a big square on a tray greased with some oil or butter .you culd gently press in some whole cashews on the surface for decoration .as it hardens u cut it up into individual pieces .

an alternative method involves substituting khoa with dry milk powder .another alternative method is to use sweetened condensed milk in which case you dont even need the syrup becos as u very gently mix the milk ,and kaju powder over a very low fire ,it will gradually form a nice sticky ball that does not stick to the sides of your karai .

u use the same procedure for almond or pistachio barfi

coconut barfi on the other hand involves warming and mixing and stirring for some time ,a mixture of condensed milk ,desicated coconut and some sugar ,and a drop of rose essence and a drop of red colouring till it forms a loose sticky ball that leaves the side of your kwok /karai .

besan barfi involves frying some besan/gramflour with unsalted butter/olive oil or ghee very gently till its light golden brown with oil bubbles on the surface ,then adding in a 2string syrup together with khoa or milk powder/crushed almonds and pistachios and mixing together till it forms a loose sticky ball then spreading it out on a tray to harden .

sorry i got a bit carried away!!!!! i have a sweet tooth hahaaaa and i love cooking and i relli luv to make sweets and i had mi mom ,sisters ,internet ,books etc etc all to teach mi how to cook them .you can buy books specific on cooking 'mithai '' in birmingham or southhall in indian book shops or just google for recipes -then go thru them systematically ,do ardas and cook wot u want wiv out treating it as a no go zone hahaha!!!!!

i so luv making different kinds of barfis !thats one of my lit 'kinky ' hobbies hahaaa .it gives tremendous pleasure when u get it right and it looks tastier and better than shop stuff without all the silver paper on it .im a guy but all the sikh ladies i know(all my bhenjis) luv my barfis!!!

also if u are sarab-lohi then u will have t learn to make barfis so u can keep enjoying them as there is no sarab lohi mithai shop i know in uk .

im all barfied up now hahaaaa

.was in india few weeks back and it was my bdy so me n my mum bought some kaju barfi (the one with the silver foil thing) and cause my massi ji and massar ji are strict veg's whereas i just dont eat meat and i eat egg (step by step) and we offerd them some and they said noo because kaju barfi 's covering the silver foil like thing is made of fish's skinnn... always thought this was made of foil LOL.could some shed some light on thisss???? cause kaju barfi is the only barfi i eat and like.

Saad Sangath Ji,

The Barfi is covered with Varak or silver foil. And quite often they use duplicate silver foil which is harmful.

I think when it comes to Barfi one should be more worried about the Khoya that they use to make Barfi. The commercial Khoya can contain all kind of insects as it is prepared and stored in this most unhygenic conditions.

At least in India you should be careful about the Barfi you eat. Also remember Barfi actually has a very limited shelf life.

Guur Rakha

Saad Sangath Ji,

The Barfi is covered with Varak or silver foil. And quite often they use duplicate silver foil which is harmful.

I think when it comes to Barfi one should be more worried about the Khoya that they use to make Barfi. The commercial Khoya can contain all kind of insects as it is prepared and stored in this most unhygenic conditions.

At least in India you should be careful about the Barfi you eat. Also remember Barfi actually has a very limited shelf life.

Guur Rakha

well one of the best khoa recipes i have found was in yamuna devi's ''art of indian vegeterian cooking ''.i have made khoa for years using that recipe and its dead easy