Is It Gurmat To Wear A Black Dummala

akal sahai

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to wear one to college in the hell burning heat of the Middle East in summer (47 C, 125 F...round about). One day a Muslim bibi asked me if I felt "suffocated in my head" (not sure what kind of English is that). I smiled, and with a proud expression on my face, I said "You get used to it :1singh1: ". But you can get to a point of going mad with a black dumalla in that kind of heat :6 .

i don't think its wrong

its considered the color of protest and agiaantaa

it became the color of protest (not 100%sure correct me if im wrong) when singhs wore black in protest of the indian government, stating they were being kept in darkness, b.c black is the color of hanera and agiantaa

lol, u heard baba nihal singhs katha on this, huh

its b.c it is the color agiaantaa

it's just a colour. why be weird about it?

some people say black is a colour of humility, which is why raagis usually wear black dastaars.

blue is the colour of warriors (or muslim pirs in the old days).

white represents death (of ego?)

keseri means you're ready for shaheed, but is also associated with sadhus.

but i don't think this is "maryada", it's just notes people have assigned to colours.

i have a pink dumalla. i think it suits me. :)

BLUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Greetings and Salutations,

Akal Sahai Ji,

To my limited knowledge, I know of no reason why a black pugh should not be tied, however I can understand why certain people may say this, I believe there is a line in the "zafarnamah" where Satguru Gobind Singh Ji states to the mughal king how his(mughal) army clad in black rushed on the Gurus army like flies. Maybe this could be the reason why you may believe its maryada to wear/not wear black.

ਬਰੰਗੇ ਮਗਸ ਸਯਾਹਪੋਸ਼ ਆਮਦੰਦ ॥ ਬ ਯਕਬਾਰਗੀ ਦਰ ਖ਼ਰੋਸ਼ ਆਮਦੰਦ ॥੨੬॥।

बरंगे मगस सयाहपोश आमदंद ॥ ब यकबारगी दर ख़रोश आमदंद ॥२६॥।

The soldiers of your army, clad in black uniforms, rushed like flies on my men.26.

ਹਰ ਆਂ ਕਸ ਜ਼ਿ ਦੀਵਾਰ ਆਮਦ ਬਿਰੂੰ ॥ ਬਖ਼ੁਰਦਨ ਯਕੇ ਤੀਰ ਸ਼ੁਦ ਗ਼ਰਕਿ ਖ਼ੂੰ ॥੨੭॥

हर आं कस ज़ि दीवार आमद बिरूं ॥ बख़ुरदन यके तीर शुद ग़रकि ख़ूं ॥२७॥

Whosoever from them came near the wall of the fort, with one arrow he wos drenched in his won blood.27.

- excerpt from Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji, http://www.sridasam.org/dasam?Action=Page&p=2266

My view, just wear what you are comfortable with, but i recommend not wearing a black pugh in searing heat lol might become uncomfortable as some aunty said "arent you suffocating in your head" lol :)

Regards

Dilrubarb