Is It Gurmat To Wear A Black Dummala

akal sahai

Like one of the Singhs said "panthic maryada" is set by SGPC who are politicians and they have control of what goes on under Akaal Takht Sahib. Until Akaal Takht Sahib is back under control of Mahapurakhs i doubt anyone will pay attention to "panthic maryada"..

Its a sad state of affairs but thats politics for ya penj..

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

i'm going to assume you live in the UK or some other place where every sect/samparda/jatha are all segregated (it's almost like a caste system!), so the only people you know are people who are just like you. :)

in india, the panthic rehet maryada is the most common and the vast majority of sikhs follow it.

btw, it's not "set" by sgpc, it's published by them, they did not write it and they can not alter it.

but i know, your sant/baba told you something and that's what you'll believe. :) it's ok, it's just all you've been exposed to.

wow how many assumptions did u make in that single post penji? and none of them are right apart from that I reside in UK..Im not tied down to any one jatha or "sect" as u like to call them, I do sangat with all jatheh from Nihang Singhs, Taksali Singhs, AKJ Singhs and Nirmeleh Singhs.

I think you need to look into SGPC and who they are and how they came about etc..

This is my last post in this topic, ive said what i have had to say..If your not gonna take it from a mahapurakh like Mahaakaal Baba Nihal Singh Ji than theres no point in continuing the debate.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your not gonna take it from a mahapurakh like Mahaakaal Baba Nihal Singh Ji than theres no point in continuing the debate.

i would like to add that i have the highest respect for Baba Nihal Singh ji. and to my knowledge, he has never criticized or gone against SRM.

however, if i'm wrong, please feel free to let me know.

in fact, to my knowledge, none of the great mahapurakh have gone against SRM. even Sant Jarnail Singh ji Bhindranwale said in his speeches to take amrit from anyone, don't worry about these divisions in the panth. the most important thin is Amrivela, at least panj bania nitnem, don't eat meat and don't do bujjar kurehets.

this is common across the majority of sampardae, and it's the same as SRM. so i don't see why you guys have to keep trashing the panthic rehat maryada.

lol

lets put it THIS way

i'm sure you learned why the Anglican Church was created?

Henry8th needed a legal divorce with Catherine of Aragon, but the Catholic Church didn't allow it

so he created his own church, the Anglican church, aka Church of England, to suit his own needs

basically he simplified and made easier the catholic faith to suit his needs

thats what happened here with the panthic rehit maryada

it has been simplified and made easier from its initial form

gur fateh jio !

It is not the color that should matter but your actions and the occasion that u wear it to....

personally I think black looks great on guys! (dnt get me wrong or something! my bro does!) but it all depends on u and no it s not against any rehat maryada

as someone said in the replies posted above.... black is a color of protest bt then if u start analysing every color wouldnt leave any fun in tying the dumalla would it? after all colors are supposed to bring joy and color into our mundane lives even if it is black!

and who care s abt getting too much "heat in your head" when u r cool frm the inside?

if u r tough........ the sun and the heat wont bother u much..... :)

I hav a white dastaar which i love and i d wear that than any other color plus in the end who cares ! no one other than that sache paatshah sitting up there :)

as long as we honor the dumalla/dastaar/turban along with the color u r wearing with your righteous actions, u r good to go !

bhul chuk di khima........ im still learning so please dnt get me wrong.... these ar my humble views so dnt feel bad if i offend someone

:)

If your not gonna take it from a mahapurakh like Mahaakaal Baba Nihal Singh Ji than theres no point in continuing the debate.

oh waheguru! i'm sorry baba ji, i thought you were someone else. :WW:

i would like to add that i have the highest respect for Baba Nihal Singh ji. and to my knowledge, he has never criticized or gone against SRM.

in fact, to my knowledge, none of the great mahapurakh have gone against SRM. even Sant Jarnail Singh ji Bhindranwale said in his speeches to take amrit from anyone, don't worry about these divisions in the panth. the most important thin is Amrivela, at least panj bania nitnem, don't eat meat and don't do bujjar kurehets.

this is common across the majority of sampardae, and it's the same as SRM. so i don't see why you guys have to keep trashing the panthic rehat maryada.

"Officialy my last post in this topic"

I know I said I wouldnt post on here again but I feel your post is in need of a reply.

1) What is with the cheek and sarcasm? "oh waheguru! i'm sorry baba ji, i thought you were someone else. :WW:" That remark wasnt funny at all, your my sister so i have refered to you as penji out of respect, please dont use sarcasm in Panthic debates, humble benthi.

2) Like I have said a number of times in my posts, wear what you want it doesnt bother me but Nihang Singhs dont wear black dumaala but if panj pyare told you that you can wear black then that is SAT BACHAN and IS PARVAAN.

3) If panj pyare dont mention what colours you can or cannot wear then that is kool, wear what you want BUT majority of the Panth i.e Nihang Singhs, Taksali Singhs, Nirmaleh Singhs, AKJ Singhs dont wear green or red dastaars.

I think i've made my views clear on this issue and I ask you humbly that you respect them and not quote me again prevoking me to reply. I respect your views, I just ask you to look further into who the SGPC are and how they operate.

and by the way Baba Ji has gone against SGPC maryada when he defended the bibia doing kirtan in the Darbar Sahib complex.

Story-2

1980 With the protection of Baba Nihal Singh, Krishan Kaur Khalsa was the first woman to perform kirtan, in recent time, within the confines of Sri Harimandir Sahib. Vikram Singh Khalsa was performing kirtan on the Gurupurab for the birthday for Guru Ram Das Ji. This kirtan was for a Bhog on the roof of the Harimandir Sahib -- not in the main hall. When he finished, he motioned for Krishna Kaur Khalsa to play. As she began some SGPC sevadars moved to stop her but Baba Nihal Singh and some other Nihungs stood in their

way and protected her right to perform kirtan within the confines of the Harimandir Sahib. Still no Sikh woman has performed kirtan in the main darbar.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=31286&st=0

Laadli Fauj nice example in your post.

Bhull Chukk Maarf Karna Jio

If panj pyare dont mention what colours you can or cannot wear then that is kool, wear what you want BUT majority of the Panth i.e Nihang Singhs, Taksali Singhs, Nirmaleh Singhs, AKJ Singhs dont wear green or red dastaars.

I think i've made my views clear on this issue and I ask you humbly that you respect them and not quote me again prevoking me to reply. I respect your views, I just ask you to look further into who the SGPC are and how they operate.

and by the way Baba Ji has gone against SGPC maryada when he defended the bibia doing kirtan in the Darbar Sahib complex.

Story-2

1980 With the protection of Baba Nihal Singh, Krishan Kaur Khalsa was the first woman to perform kirtan, in recent time, within the confines of Sri Harimandir Sahib. Vikram Singh Khalsa was performing kirtan on the Gurupurab for the birthday for Guru Ram Das Ji. This kirtan was for a Bhog on the roof of the Harimandir Sahib -- not in the main hall. When he finished, he motioned for Krishna Kaur Khalsa to play. As she began some SGPC sevadars moved to stop her but Baba Nihal Singh and some other Nihungs stood in their

way and protected her right to perform kirtan within the confines of the Harimandir Sahib. Still no Sikh woman has performed kirtan in the main darbar.

i apologize veerji for the sarcasm. it was unnecessary.

and i apoligize in advance for disagreeing with you.

however, first, AKJ, Taksal, and nihungs do not make up the majority of Sikhs! i'm sorry, but i simply don't know where you're getting this idea. i'm very sorry to disagree, but respectfully, i believe that you may not be aware of Sikhi in the rest of the world. again, i'm very sorry to say that and i mean no disrespect.

second, Baba ji did NOT go against the panthic rehat maryada when he held back the crowd for krishna kaur.

the SRM says NOTHING about women being disallowed from kirtan. it says "only a SIKH may perform kirtan in congregation".

THE CODE OF SIKH CONDUCT AND CONVENTIONS

CHAPTER V

Kirtan (Devotional Hymns Singing by a Group or an Indvidual)

Article VI <a name="article6">

a) Only a Sikh may perform Kirtan in a congregation.

b) Kirtan means singing the scriptural compositions in traditional musical measures.

c) In the congragation, Kirtan only of Gurbani (Guru Granth's or Guru Gobind Singh's hymns) and, for its elaboration, of the compositions of Bhai Gurdas and Bhai Nand Lal, may be performed.

d) It is improper, while singing hymns to rhythmic folk tunes or to traditional musical measures, or in team singing, to induct into them improvised and extraneous refrains. Only a line from the hymn should be made a refrain.

in 2005, SGPC has even specifically said that women may do kirtan in any gurdwara, INCLUDING DARBAR SAHIB, pending (then) jathedar vedanti's approval. unfortunately, he was unwilling to go against the traditional banning of women that was started by the mahants and continues today. this also applies to palki sahib seva and amrit sanchar seva, both of which are ALLOWED by the rehat maryada, but banned at akal takht and darbar sahib.

this is my biggest gripe with akal takht today. i'm still trying to find a suitible form of protest of these stupid gender-biased rules.

oh waheguru! i'm sorry baba ji, i thought you were someone else. :WW:

"Officialy my last post in this topic"

I know I said I wouldnt post on here again but I feel your post is in need of a reply.

1) What is with the cheek and sarcasm? "oh waheguru! i'm sorry baba ji, i thought you were someone else. :WW:" That remark wasnt funny at all, your my sister so i have refered to you as penji out of respect, please dont use sarcasm in Panthic debates, humble benthi.

2) Like I have said a number of times in my posts, wear what you want it doesnt bother me but Nihang Singhs dont wear black dumaala but if panj pyare told you that you can wear black then that is SAT BACHAN and IS PARVAAN.

3) If panj pyare dont mention what colours you can or cannot wear then that is kool, wear what you want BUT majority of the Panth i.e Nihang Singhs, Taksali Singhs, Nirmaleh Singhs, AKJ Singhs dont wear green or red dastaars.

Story-2

Laadli Fauj nice example in your post.

Bhull Chukk Maarf Karna Jio

She won't stop mate, she will apologise, hence thats why I dont post more often on here now. Having said this there is no where in Sri Guru Granth Sahib that forbids us from wearing any colour at all. Just because you wear a different colour does not make you a better person, Waheguru has many colours, this is just a "Vhem". I wear a black turban, now am I bad? Am I against Sikhi? My Guru is Guru Granth Sahib and no other, Guru does not mention anything about specific colou is good or bad, its sikhs after who make their own rules up. This is fine, but they shouldnt impose this rule on everyone, if you want to wear black, blue, green, red, orange, purple, lime green, pink all up to you, nothing wrong with it. Better still do Naam Simran, which is the only thing you going take with you, NOT colours.

WJKK WJKF

Pyari Sangat Ji,

With respect no Maryada or more importantly the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says in any form a Sikh must wear a particular colour Damalla or Distaar!

It is purely down to the individual what colour they wish to wear.

There of course traditional colours for weddings/ death and certain Sikhs wear a specific colour to show 'affilation' to their Sikh grouping. But remember no one colour is exclusive to that Sikh grouping.

I ask any learned person to show me in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or Maryada (appreciate the various forms) where it specifically says a Sikh cannot wear a specific colour ?

Just because the Sri Guru Granth Sahib mentions a colour does not mean we cannot wear it -keep it in perspective. As a Panth we have more urgent issues to be dealing with !

Gurmat is not based on the colour of your Dummala ! Gurmat is based on the tenents of the 10 Guru Ji's and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. FULL STOP. There is no suggestion/ interpretation/ specific order that states a specific colour must be worn to symbolise Gurmat. Yes, colour is mentioned but as 'context' to a specific tenent.

Please, we should be posting more intelligent questions !

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF

Pyari Sangat Ji,

With respect no Maryada or more importantly the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says in any form a Sikh must wear a particular colour Damalla or Distaar!

It is purely down to the individual what colour they wish to wear.

There of course traditional colours for weddings/ death and certain Sikhs wear a specific colour to show 'affilation' to their Sikh grouping. But remember no one colour is exclusive to that Sikh grouping.

I ask any learned person to show me in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or Maryada (appreciate the various forms) where it specifically says a Sikh cannot wear a specific colour ?

Just because the Sri Guru Granth Sahib mentions a colour does not mean we cannot wear it -keep it in perspective. As a Panth we have more urgent issues to be dealing with !

Gurmat is not based on the colour of your Dummala ! Gurmat is based on the tenents of the 10 Guru Ji's and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. FULL STOP. There is no suggestion/ interpretation/ specific order that states a specific colour must be worn to symbolise Gurmat. Yes, colour is mentioned but as 'context' to a specific tenent.

Please, we should be posting more intelligent questions !

WJKK WJKF

Agreed with 100%, its all Brahmanic thinking, a "Vehm", you are Guru ji's Khalsa, you don't fear from anything including COLOURS! :TH: