Mother

Blissful Sikh

just read a post something about shouldnt wear a kirpan before amrith.

sorry but i to disagree with that, wearing 5K's before taking amrith gives you better preperation for the path ahead of you.

guru kirpa.

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh jee khalsa jee

if one is keeping rehet already, then maybe i can see where you're coming from. but if one is committing a bujjar kurehet, i don't think they should be wearing our Guru ji's kirpan.

how do you feel about someone on a powerful mind-altering drug wandering around with Guru ji's kirpan? that's fine with you?

how would you feel if you saw some incident on TV where they said a sikh used a kirpan for something wrong. and NO, i'm NOT SAYING the original poster will do something wrong. i'm saying, if we say that anyone can wear the kirpan, then these incidents will start to happen. an then where will we stand when we try to explain why we have to carry it at school or work or in a court room...

just a thought. do with it what you will.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just read a post something about shouldnt wear a kirpan before amrith.

sorry but i to disagree with that, wearing 5K's before taking amrith gives you better preperation for the path ahead of you.

guru kirpa.

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh jee khalsa jee

if one is keeping rehet already, then maybe i can see where you're coming from. but if one is committing a bujjar kurehet, i don't think they should be wearing our Guru ji's kirpan.

how do you feel about someone on a powerful mind-altering drug wandering around with Guru ji's kirpan? that's fine with you?

how would you feel if you saw some incident on TV where they said a sikh used a kirpan for something wrong. and NO, i'm NOT SAYING the original poster will do something wrong. i'm saying, if we say that anyone can wear the kirpan, then these incidents will start to happen. an then where will we stand when we try to explain why we have to carry it at school or work or in a court room...

just a thought. do with it what you will.

You gone off the handle again!!! We are talking about someone who is preparing to take Amrit, and you are talking about something else about Sikh wielding a kirpan Jasleen Kaur!

"how would you feel if you saw some incident on TV where they said a sikh used a kirpan for something wrong."

But it has already happened and its happening still. Sikhs, Amritdhaari sikhs use their Kirpaans in some wrong actions.

If you Love your Guru, if you love the word of your Guru and you want to have an eternal love with Him then you will feel that love while taking the Amrit, otherwise a person remains the same even after taking the Amrit. Its you, its your love for the Guru that gives the effect. If you believe, after that moment you are with Guru and Guru is with you forever and if you don't believe, even after taking amrit you are same.

regarding kakkars... no one is saying don't wear a kadha... but a kirpan? there's a lot of responsibility that comes with the kirpan. i've never met anyone who advocates wearing the kirpan before amrit.

i wore all my kakaars for a year before i took amrit to prepare because i was told so by a gursikh.

and all the kakaars come a lot of responsibility, not just the kirpaan.

wjkk wjkf

The "mind altering drug" is medicinal. Should Amritdharis also remove their kirpan if they go in for surgery and have to take morphine or oxycodone?

he's not amritdhari. he has not been commanded to keep panj kakkars. the comparison is invalid.

taking morphine for surgery and a few days after is NOT the same thing as taking methadone every single day for months... even years. i don't care if it's "medicinal". i have known people on methadone treatment. they were walking around in an opoid haze that was not much better than heroin. methadone treatment is controversial for a reason. there are rapid detox therapies available that will get him off the drug, totally out of his system, in a couple of weeks.

it is not at all strange to expect that someone walking in to offer guru ji their head should be clean of all drugs/alcohol/etc. if they have to take drugs in surgery, many amritdharis would go pesh after that. so how can we say it's ok to take amrit while you're on drugs? would it be ok to take amrit with a nicotine patch on? after all, it's not technically a cigarette, it just gives the same fix to the cigarette addict!

people keep calling me "too liberal" about rehet. but you guys all seem to think it's ok to take amrit while you're on drugs??? i'm totally confused here.

regarding kakkars... no one is saying don't wear a kadha... but a kirpan? there's a lot of responsibility that comes with the kirpan. i've never met anyone who advocates wearing the kirpan before amrit.

i wore all my kakaars for a year before i took amrit to prepare because i was told so by a gursikh.

and all the kakaars come a lot of responsibility, not just the kirpaan.

ok, i agree, ALL of them come with a lot of responsibility. however, it's just the kirpan that society tries to take away from us. we need to show them that only dedicated sikhs are carrying it, not random drug addicts.

ok, i agree, ALL of them come with a lot of responsibility. however, it's just the kirpan that society tries to take away from us. we need to show them that only dedicated sikhs are carrying it, not random drug addicts.

society cant take anything away from us.

and hes not a random drug addict, he is on his way to becoming a Sikh. if he understands the responsibility of a kirpaan then why cant he wear it?

and hes not a random drug addict, he is on his way to becoming a Sikh. if he understands the responsibility of a kirpaan then why cant he wear it?

Because you have to be a khalsa Sikh, to wear one Khalsa means pure, you are not pure if you are on drugs. If you are truly blessed you never need any medication or drugs, because waheguru is your medicine.

i'm not convinced he understands that responsibility. we don't even know him and we're saying to wear guru ji's kirpan?

how long has he been following sikhi. how long has he been wearing his turban. how long has he been reading his nitnem banis on a regular schedule. how long has he been visiting gurdwaras. how often does he interact with sangat in person? how long has he been off heroin. how long will he be on methadone (not a treatment, by the way, but a maintenence drug).

how can we tell a virtual stranger to take on such a responsibility? it makes no sense to me.

and once again, i really don't mean to seem harsh, but as a convert, whenever another white sikh fails or leaves sikhi (as two previously amritdhari bibis i know have done lately), it reflects poorly on ALL converts. so i'm not going to encourage anyone i don't know.

if he really really wants to give his head, he should go to the gurdwara, talk to the granthi and find out about amrit sanchar there, rather than asking strangers on an online forum to find him a ride! come on!

sikhi is not an easy path. why try to pretend it is?