Immediate Action Required: Please Sign The Petition Now To Stop The Incorrect Portraying Of Sikh Image By Swff (sikhwheel.com)

sikh_toronto

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED: PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION NOW TO STOP THE INCORRECT PORTRAYING OF SIKH IMAGE BY SWFF (SikhWheel.Com)

http://www.petitiononline.com/SWFF2008/petition.html

Dear Organizers of the Spinning Wheel Film Festival (WWW.SikhWheel.Com),

We are writing to you in regard to the current poster being used to advertise the 2008 Spinning Wheel Film Festival. We humbly request you to carefully consider the image being promoted. The "superheroes" portrayed are far from being a positive image of Sikhs. Though the intention may have been to generate excitement and pride amongst Sikhs and to show the general public that Sikhs too have superheroes amongst them, we must ensure that the image being promoted in fact matches the actual character and virtues of a Sikh that Guru Granth Sahib and our history portrays. The excellence of character that identifies a Sikh as superhero is to be revealed both in visible and inner virtues. Chivalry, modesty in thought, word and action along with selfless service to humanity in spirit, matching the life of Guru Sahib are alone the hallmarks of a Sikh.

The current poster diminishes Sikh identity by playing fast and loose with Sikh Rehat Maryada in presenting the lead male and female characters as superheroes and role models. They appear more as villains, abandoning the true Sikh virtues. Going about "saving the world" with the hair uncovered is far from being obedient to Sikh Rehat and to the visible identification as a Gursikh. The Kirpan is supposed to be worn in a Gatra, not attached to a belt. Furthermore, pierced ears as in the case of the young girl are not in the spirit of how Sikhs should raise their children towards principled Sikh living.

Most troubling of all is the dramatic clothing and poses portrayed by the four characters. There is an unwholesomeness and shallowness that reeks of the typical [b-H]ollywood-type depiction of men, women and children and debasement of true human nature. It is unfortunate that the mainstream culture is flooded with such images on billboards, movie and television screens, and in print advertisement. These images incite immorality in all segments of society - young and old, male and female of any faith. It is against this backdrop of media and social decadence that the outstanding Sikh virtues of unique visible identity, maintenance of natural form and modesty of character should be promoted. Sikh identity projects a vision of uniqueness, unalloyed wholesomeness, trustworthiness and humility that acts as a beacon to all to turn to. When Sikhs already have their own prescribed dress and way of living that exudes grace and spiritual refinement. It promotes a modest lifestyle, and the social welfare through selfless service, where is the need to ape the street culture of tights, revealing cuts and egoistic-attitude.

Particularly as these cartoon characters represent as role models - popular icons, they become a powerful force capable of creating lasting biased images and attitudes about Sikhi in the minds of those unfamiliar with true Sikh values and identity. As the 2008 SWFF poster can promote true Sikh character, it can misrepresent towards un-Sikh character. Sikhs already have their own heroes in the example of Guru Sahib and in the lives of Sikhs who lived emulating Guru Sahib. Let us not adopt false heroes who cast aside the example of Guru Sahib and project a shallow reflection of Sikh character.

Please, with the above in mind, we urge you to consider this matter seriously and replace the current 2008 poster with one that is representative of the true superhero character of Sikhs.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Whilst I am neither condoning, nor endorsing the image used by SikhWheel.com for the Spinning Wheel Film Festival, I have to disagree with the reasons used in the petition. Firstly and fore-mostly on the grounds of artistic license. The images used that have caused distress are intended it would seem to mirror film icons such as the The Incredibles, Superman and Singh is King. I stress, it appears that way to myself, but then again I'm in the industry so maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there. But I would still like to think that as bastions of free speech and social tolerance we would not be so offended by such a depiction.

Secondly, with regards to the kirpan issue, I was unaware that we were only allowed to wear a kirpan with a gatra. I would appreciate it if somebody more learned than I could tell me which section it falls into in the rehit maryada? I searched (albeit briefly) and couldn't find it. Personally, I think that if I was operating as a vigilante or superhero my kirpan would be better utilised in an alternative fashion than through a gatra, let's say through a belt. It would be easier to manage which is surely the most efficient and sensible manner to operate in.

Thirdly, with regards to the skirts worn by the woman and young girl, again I didn't realise that this was not dressing modestly. I don't think there is a problem in the way they have both dressed, nor the men in their tights for that matter! If this is as the petition has described then perhaps we are next going to ask mahapursh sant's to refrain from wearing chaule which show off the lower parts of their legs. If this is seriously what we should do, I am now considering removing the traditional dhoti that I wear whilst farming in Punjab. It looks pretty much the same as the ladies skirt except mine has a cut along the front which shows off more leg.

I understand that there has been some disagreements between the organisers of these festivals and not everybody who once managed the event is still part of the team. That being said I don't know the whole ins and outs, but I really hope that this is not a petition set up by a dissident entity from the film festival. Personally, I have no reason to back SikhWheel; they showed one of our films last year and may show another later this year in the Hollywood festival. Conversely, they also have ignored naujawanidotcom's request to refund almost £100 as promised for the costs of a showreel transferred to beta which we sent out by special post. They didn't even end up showing that showreel. I am neither for them nor against them, have gained from them and lost from them. But the reasons depicted in this petition I genuinely think should be re-examined. Are we going to next take action against The Singhson's depiction of Sikhs which does the rounds by email and Youtube? Maybe we'll take out an injunction against the over-muscly, cartoon Sikh warrior image that is used by somebody here as an avatar? Or perhaps, we will look to rewrite history and airbrush some clothes and a dastaar on to the mahapursh standing next to Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale in the photograph below, taken during the Sant-Scholar meetings establishing accurate mangla-charan?

post-6719-1223552570_thumb.jpg

I'm not having a go or trying to make anyobdy look stupid, but I can't help myself post when I see Sikhs doing what they do best: attack other Sikhs. The only valid argument in this entire thread was from Singhavelli about the economic charges levied to watch the films. In fairness to SikhWheel they have large overheads to cover, but hey if people are willing to pay, then that is the way it is. If we truly want to make these Sikh film festival films available to everyone everywhere, then why haven't we all taken up Sikhnet's offer of putting on our own film festival using their Sikhnet Film Festival in a box idea?! You get the films from their festival and can put on your own local event!! Maybe you have done this Singhavelli and then kudos to you. But empathise with those of us in the industry. We are not working with Hollywood budgets and studios or talent! As a full-time producer myself, I get stressed with Indian's wanting free entertainment at my cost. If people don't pay for films and music in some manner and keep wanting to rip DVD's etc, then where are the production companies going to get the money to make them from? A more audience-friendly price to watch the films would be a good idea and I as a film maker will email the Sikh Wheel's organisers to this regard. But take some responsibility as the viewing public yourselves. If you know of illegal copies of DVD's have you reported it, or turned a blind eye? In that moment do we forget we are the humble, modest Sikhs this petition talks about?

Whilst I am neither condoning, nor endorsing the image used by SikhWheel.com for the Spinning Wheel Film Festival, I have to disagree with the reasons used in the petition. Firstly and fore-mostly on the grounds of artistic license. The images used that have caused distress are intended it would seem to mirror film icons such as the The Incredibles, Superman and Singh is King. I stress, it appears that way to myself, but then again I'm in the industry so maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there. But I would still like to think that as bastions of free speech and social tolerance we would not be so offended by such a depiction.

Secondly, with regards to the kirpan issue, I was unaware that we were only allowed to wear a kirpan with a gatra. I would appreciate it if somebody more learned than I could tell me which section it falls into in the rehit maryada? I searched (albeit briefly) and couldn't find it. Personally, I think that if I was operating as a vigilante or superhero my kirpan would be better utilised in an alternative fashion than through a gatra, let's say through a belt. It would be easier to manage which is surely the most efficient and sensible manner to operate in.

Thirdly, with regards to the skirts worn by the woman and young girl, again I didn't realise that this was not dressing modestly. I don't think there is a problem in the way they have both dressed, nor the men in their tights for that matter! If this is as the petition has described then perhaps we are next going to ask mahapursh sant's to refrain from wearing chaule which show off the lower parts of their legs. If this is seriously what we should do, I am now considering removing the traditional dhoti that I wear whilst farming in Punjab. It looks pretty much the same as the ladies skirt except mine has a cut along the front which shows off more leg.

I understand that there has been some disagreements between the organisers of these festivals and not everybody who once managed the event is still part of the team. That being said I don't know the whole ins and outs, but I really hope that this is not a petition set up by a dissident entity from the film festival. Personally, I have no reason to back SikhWheel; they showed one of our films last year and may show another later this year in the Hollywood festival. Conversely, they also have ignored naujawanidotcom's request to refund almost £100 as promised for the costs of a showreel transferred to beta which we sent out by special post. They didn't even end up showing that showreel. I am neither for them nor against them, have gained from them and lost from them. But the reasons depicted in this petition I genuinely think should be re-examined. Are we going to next take action against The Singhson's depiction of Sikhs which does the rounds by email and Youtube? Maybe we'll take out an injunction against the over-muscly, cartoon Sikh warrior image that is used by somebody here as an avatar? Or perhaps, we will look to rewrite history and airbrush some clothes and a dastaar on to the mahapursh standing next to Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale in the photograph below, taken during the Sant-Scholar meetings establishing accurate mangla-charan?

post-6719-1223552570_thumb.jpg

I'm not having a go or trying to make anyobdy look stupid, but I can't help myself post when I see Sikhs doing what they do best: attack other Sikhs. The only valid argument in this entire thread was from Singhavelli about the economic charges levied to watch the films. In fairness to SikhWheel they have large overheads to cover, but hey if people are willing to pay, then that is the way it is. If we truly want to make these Sikh film festival films available to everyone everywhere, then why haven't we all taken up Sikhnet's offer of putting on our own film festival using their Sikhnet Film Festival in a box idea?! You get the films from their festival and can put on your own local event!! Maybe you have done this Singhavelli and then kudos to you. But empathise with those of us in the industry. We are not working with Hollywood budgets and studios or talent! As a full-time producer myself, I get stressed with Indian's wanting free entertainment at my cost. If people don't pay for films and music in some manner and keep wanting to rip DVD's etc, then where are the production companies going to get the money to make them from? A more audience-friendly price to watch the films would be a good idea and I as a film maker will email the Sikh Wheel's organisers to this regard. But take some responsibility as the viewing public yourselves. If you know of illegal copies of DVD's have you reported it, or turned a blind eye? In that moment do we forget we are the humble, modest Sikhs this petition talks about?

Now read over your post with a critical eye and try and see if you would change anything.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka KHalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

Vaheguroo

Re: naujawanidotcom's comments - I'm all for freedom of speech, social tolerance and artistic licence. However, where there is a portrayal of Sikhi involved, those persons claiming to be Sikhs and bringing Sikhi into the equation have some serious responsibilities.

The image of the women in the pictures is not in Sikhi Bana and in accordance with Sikhi social etiquette. I don't think any GurSikh Bibi/Bhaen would dare go to the gurdwara wearing such attire. Hence, the same should apply to any media portrayal which is about Sikhs. "Sundri" is a much better portrayal.

Vaheguroo