Can A 'mona' Ever Be Classed As As Sikh ?

+Singh_is_King+

After a day of observing comments, I can conclude:

1. Even monae dont class themseleves as Sikhs (eg. Gurdaspuria E12)

whoa, that's some seriously scientific and accurate conclusions going on... Since we don't know which of the respondents are monay and which aren't, you're implying that just cuz 1 mona veer said he doesn't call himself a sikh, that you can "CONCLUDE" (which is usually a term used to state a final opinion or perspective) that monay don't class themselves as sikhs.. what about the numerous keshdharis and amritdharis that DO classify monay as sikhs.... are their opinions not worth as much because it doesn't come "from the horse's mouth", so to speak?

I'm sure you didn't intend to make a blanket statement, but always do keep in mind when younger kids come on and see strong statements, they're likely to believe them, because dramatic and exaggerated statements are always funner to read and believe.

The 'horse's mouth' is this how you talk to your mother. And i'm not saying this as a joke.

When it comes to defining a Sikh all feelings and opinions are put DEEP in the pockets, where they just can't jump up, and catch you off guard. Opinions are just as useless in this discussion as your ability to be a jackal.

Don't worry about the youngster's your horse's mouth comment is brilliant.

Sorry if i offended you or anyone. That is a commonly used english expression which might have been misused or misinterpreted. I apologize. It wasn't intended to be offensive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoted post below by gurdaspuria E12 should be post of the year.

I am the least of all sikhs for the purposes of this discussion. However, I will be the first to defend, not my guilt, but my guruji, against the absurdity that one can proclaim to be sikh by definition; BUT reject guruji’s blessings!

I don’t speak of sgpc definition, census definition, etc; rather just one’s personal definition.

One may merely identify with sikhi somewhat and may love aspects of sikhi. That person is at best a “compound-sikh” but not sikh. If one is true to one’s regard for sikhi, then s/he will defend sikhi by NOT proclaiming that “I am sikh by definition” while hacking away at guruji’s gift to be a presentable slave to the standard set by their ultimate western masters.

Sikh or not sikh, this poster who says “I am a mona” is my teacher and would be embraced by my guruji more than a thousands of other monays who profess their sikhi. Our shaheeds who gave their heads instead of a single strand of hair, would embrace that person as a human being.

Maybe not in this thread, but there are those who carelessly and boldly profess their “I am just as sikh” ego while cutting their hair or not taking amrit. They inflict rot upon sikhi with more damage than any external enemy could ever dream of doing.

Im a mona

I believe in everything about sikhism

I know when I cut my hair i am breaking my link with the guru

Moreover I feel I am not sikh (I emphasize that I believe in every single thingh in sikhism I have been on a journey and have made some steps next of which is to grow my hair when my family permits)

Take a look at this

Guru Gobind Singh told his Khalsa;

"This my order, listen my beloved.

Without Hair and Sword, do not come to me.

Without the rehit, do not call yourself a Sikh.

Without the rehit, you will be suffering."

The first rehit should be taken as being the taking of Amrit.

Therefore we mona do not deserve to have any voting rights in any panthic organisation unless we are baptised by the double edged sword.

Simple no need to over complicate

I don't know about the world but i'm a mona and i classify myself as SIKH...

I classify myself as a doctor :WOOHOO: I like the label gives me comfort to the question who am I. :rolleyes:

lol.. totally forgot about that.. i classify myself as 2LT, Doc, and, Sikh..lol

"Do Not Come To Me Without Hair Or Weapons"

I think Guru Gobind Singh said that only to people who wanted to become khalsa and his singhs. Before that we were Guru Nanak sikhs.

whats the difference between Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji?

my point was Guru Gobind Singh said you must have hair and weapons if you wanted to become khalsa, but Guru Nanak didnt ask his sikh followers to keep hair and weapons to be considered a sikh.

"Do Not Come To Me Without Hair Or Weapons"

I think Guru Gobind Singh said that only to people who wanted to become khalsa and his singhs. Before that we were Guru Nanak sikhs.

whats the difference between Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji?

my point was Guru Gobind Singh said you must have hair and weapons if you wanted to become khalsa, but Guru Nanak didnt ask his sikh followers to keep hair and weapons to be considered a sikh.

but Guru Nanak didnt ask his sikh followers to keep hair and weapons to be considered a sikh.

First off, the above is just an assumption by you. Just because there is not a written account of the above doesn't mean Guru Nanak Dev ji did not say it as Guru Nanak Dev ji. By the same logic you use, everything will point to Guru Nanak Dev ji would have said it.

Your point leads no where and proves nothing, because there is no difference between Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji and Guru Nanak Dev ji. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji said a Sikh must keep hair and Guru Nanak Dev ji, guess what he said, hence one jyot a Sikh must keep hair. I could have put Guru Hargobind Sahib ji in the above sentence and it wouldn't make a difference because we are still talking about the same one Guru.

Parm Singh keep your clever tricks to yourself.