Proudy Hindu Punjabis

Guest amar_jkp

Guest amar_jkp

How many times we have seen in india that punjabi hindus considered themselfs superior and bravest then other hindus , i want to know by removing sikh history from punjab what will left for punjabis to be proud of ? As far i know punjabis were beaten many times by pathans ,mugals and turks. On what these punjabi hindus feel proud of.

Some are proud of Porus who although lost to Alexander in war was ready to accept execution rather than be a slave. But other than that, its just a Punjabi thing, Punjabi cultural pride. Nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Also remember, when it comes to getting thrashed by Muslims, there are many others who got thrashed just like Hindus for centuries. No one stood upto the Muslim invaders until Khalsa was established by Dasmesh Pita. Sadly today some of them are proud of their "sub-community" and not of being Sikh/Khalsa.

What's the point of this post, there is no point.

I am from a Sikh family, I remember an aunty, her sons are Hindus, they believe in ganesh, but they are Punjabi. They go to the gurdwara, go to the mandir, and they dont' see any difference. Punjabi Hindus are basically the same family as Sikh Punjabis, they speak our mother tongue, they have similar culture, traits.

Punjabi Hindus have plenty to be proud about, not just because of their Sikh religionists, but that they are from the Land of Faqirs, Pirs, and Gurus.

How many times we have seen in india that punjabi hindus considered themselfs superior and bravest then other hindus , i want to know by removing sikh history from punjab what will left for punjabis to be proud of ? As far i know punjabis were beaten many times by pathans ,mugals and turks. On what these punjabi hindus feel proud of.

Fateh Ji,

I often feel that Punjabi Hindus have a hatred for Sikhs in their genes.

I'd penned this article some time back:

http://www.panthic.org/news/129/ARTICLE/1332/2005-05-15.html

"Sadstic" Humor

Sunday 15th May, 2005

Vikramjit Singh - Guest Columnist

(KP)

I recall sometime back I attended a party and the guests were predominantly Punjabi Hindus. I was the lone Sikh and as I hopped from one group to another I noticed one similarity in all the groups, and the similarity was that all of them had a huge stock of Sikh jokes. From innocent to bawdy to down right insulting, the jokes made me go red in the face, but alas the guests took pleasure in my discomfort and continued with their Sikh bashing vide their jokes. I quietly excused myself and left the party.

A month later I attended another party and this time the host of the party where I had to bear the Sikh bashing was there. Only this time the tables had turned and in this party he was in a minority as majority of the guests were Sikhs. I think he remembered what had transpired at his party and he gave me a couple of sheepish looks. Here too I hopped from one group to another. From politics to sports to holidays were the topics of discussions. No jokes at the behest of any religion. Nearing the end I met my Hindu friend, whose party I had attended, and he literally hung his head in shame as I shook his hand and bid him adieu.

Quite some time back in my college days I had a Punjabi Hindu friend who was habituated to cracking Sikh jokes. It so happened one day that while walking out of a restaurant we frequented, he skipped a step and fell down and hurt himself badly. All the others after fussing on him for some time walked off and ultimately it was me and another Sikh boy who took him to the hospital and as his parents could not be contacted we waited for a good six hours in hospital, being his attendants. Thereafter this lad never cracked another Sikh joke in my presence.

I was traveling in the local train in Bombay a group of youths were teasing a Sikh boy by showing him their watch. It was noon time and they were teasing him that it was 12 o’clock. I got up and accosted them and asked them if they knew the history behind 12 o’clock. I told them that when marauders came into Hindustan and took captive thousands of Hindu women it was bands of Sikh warriors who attacked these marauders and freed the Hindu women and then returned them respectfully back to their homes. They did this at risk to their own lives and as they were outnumbered by the marauders they attacked them tactfully at a time when humans become slow in the responses. This is either at noon or midnight. Looking at the Sikh youth I told him to wear the 12 o’clock joke as a medal as our ancestors had done us proud and to pity these guys who were actually laughing at the cowardice of their own ancestors who did not have the guts to try to free their women. The group of boys slunk out at the next station.

Just recently there was an article about a jathedar who had married twice. I met a Hindu friend and he immediately said that now I could marry twice. I kept quite and just shrugged and changed the topic. But, this fellow smelt the blood of my hurt and so he just went on and on. When it got too much I just questioned him if Hindu ladies could marry four men? He was shocked and looked hurt. I informed him that Draupadi had married four men and so had set the precedence for Hindu women to marry four men. I then told him that recently the Shankacharya was in the news for all the wrong things but, had I ever made a mention of this?

What hurt me was an article penned by a columnist of the Hindustan Times, Mr Vir Singhvi, in which he says that stopping Sikh jokes would be an infringement on his right of speech. What about our rights? What Vir does privately is none of my business, but if such jokes are cracked in public then Sikhs have every right to object. The problem is that people like Vir have a warped sense of humor and a sadistic streak. They have to hurt someone to laugh.

I recall I was aboard a plane and a large South Indian group was aboard this plane. One of them got up and standing in the aisle cracked a Sikh joke. As he settled in his seat I went up to him asked him if he realized what he had done? Now as I looked at him threateningly he shrunk into his seat. Imagine he had a group with him and I was alone and he was shivering. Seeing his sorry state and the worried look on his wife’s face I shook his hand and calmed him and informed him that humor was the ability to laugh at oneself and not at someone’s expense. As I left I could hear his wife admonish him. As he deplaned at Madras he passed me and shook my hand and apologized profusely.

It is time that we stopped accepting this sadistic humor and taking it in our stride. Remember to be sadistic is bad and equally bad is to bear sadism.

Guru Rakha

I don't think that you blame all Punjabi Hindus or even the majority. It is one class of Punjabi Hindu usually belonging to the Khatri/Arora/Bania castes which tend to be the most anti-Sikh. This is due to that fact that this class were the ones who supported the Arya Samaj at its inception and have continued to be the most ardent Arya Samajists.

The bulk of the Punjabi Hindus who belong to the so-called lower castes don't have an Anti-Sikh in them.

Correction, some Punjabi Hindus, not all. In fact most do NOT hate Sikhs but I see where you are coming from and don't totally disagree with you.

It is time that we stopped accepting this sadistic humor and taking it in our stride. Remember to be sadistic is bad and equally bad is to bear sadism.
Agreed. Trust me at times it takes one firm, unmoved and ferocious stare from a Singh that is enough to silence all such jokers.

Also, its not just Indians/Hindus/Punjabi Hindus who mock Sikhs. Don't forget Indian Muslims and Pakistanis. This is what I wrote when I had enough of non-Sikhs making fun of Sikhs, and my message is for ALL who mock a Singh, be they Hindus (from anywhere), Muslims (from anywhere), or even those so-called Sikhs who don't look like Sikhs but make fun of those who are in Sikhi saroop.

This goes out to all those who crack jokes on Sikhs, not caring for the kind of effect it has on the minds of kids, teenagers and adults. It is being posted as a reminder for those who have either don't know their own history, or that of the Sikhs. It is being posted as a reminder for those who have either forgotten their own history, or that of the Sikhs. And it is being posted with the hope that "Sikh mocking" readers of this poem will mend their ways in future.

Last warning

You heard of Santa and Banta, and all their jokes

Did you ever try to know their ancestral folks?

The name Khushwant Singh and his joke book makes you smile

What about Baba Banda Singh Bahadur or Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa who were feared by the vile?

Giani Zail Singh and Manmohan Singh have enough pictures today

Do you remember Lt Gen Jagjit Singh Aurora who saved your yesterday?

The tricolored flag that you fly all over this esteemed nation

Bears the blood of Kartaar, Bhagat and Udham who brought all elation

Does the name Saragarhi ring a bell in your mind?

Or has your thankless memory fooled and made you blind?

How dare you forget that bloody Kargil war

Where the martyrs were the sons of a Kaur

How much you rejoiced when they conquered Tiger Hills

Defeated an enemy who brutally tortures and kills

Standing next to the flag, with the nation celebrating wild

Were the turbaned soldiers who stood there and smiled

You relish stories of stupidity portraying a Sikh as a joker

How easily you forgot their countless tales of valor

We have had enough of taunts, pranks and jokes of yours

You don't want to mess with us Singhs and Kaurs

Don't wreck your future by forgetting your past

Thanklessness brings severe misery fast

We are tender like a rose, yet harder than steel

You can tear us apart, but never make us kneel

Your jokes may harm a few weaklings

For you never met some real tough Singhs

So fear the day they stand before your eyes

They before whom the fear of death dies

Your jokes have launched their share of attack

Now quit or watch the Singhs coming to pay you back

~ Mehtab Singh

Friday April 27, 2007

Correction, some Punjabi Hindus, not all. In fact most do NOT hate Sikhs but I see where you are coming from and don't totally disagree with you.

Agreed. Trust me at times it takes one firm, unmoved and ferocious stare from a Singh that is enough to silence all such jokers.

Mehab Singh, I do understand from where u are coming from but punjabi hindus have earned lots of negative karma for what happened in 80's(and before that as well during punjabi suba). How many punjabi hindus call sikh jhujaroos of 80's freedom fighters ????????????????????

Majority of them consider sikh freedom fighters to be TERRORISTS. Even if some punjabi hindu dint openly support operation bluestar, THEY REMAINED QUIET(which means that deep deep deep down, they supported it).

Yes, there are some paindu punjabi hindus who have lots of love for sikhs and there are some good ones in cities too but such people are PRETTY LESS compared to the total population of Punjabi north indian hindu.

The only hindu I really appreciatte in India is the south indian. They are really cute.I stayed in TAmil Nadu for 4 months and shared room with 2 south indian brothers and I LOVED THEM. Maharashtrain hindu is ok as well. THey could have been very nice but have been BRAINWASHED and ASSIMILATED by bamanns.

oh Mehtab veerji ....yaar main tuhaada Fan ban gaya ji....what a poem...i wish to print this out and maybe request the committee at our Local Gurdwara to have this up on the baord...can i do that ? it will also have your name as the author ...if u dont mind veerji...maybe if u can also have this translated in punjabi..i know its a pain ..but if possible ..

Gur Fateh

Raaj Karega Khalsa