What Is Love?

JustME

Was thinking about this earlier.....

Everyone has an experience of Love..... whether that be family/spouse/friends etc.........everyone has some level of faith in God or the Comos, Universe.............

Would love to read about how people find the balance between the two.........plx tell of ur experiences of what it is to Love..............with so much "selfish love" going about.............how you you know you are feeling the "real deal"?

Please share your thoughts, and answer, not what you think people would want to read but what your own heart is telling you

:)

As per traditional Punjabi philosophy (in accordance with Sufi philosophy), love is majazi (worldly) or ilahi (divine). Usually majazi ishq is between human beings, and ilahi is the one with Vaheguru. However, there is to standard rule to this. Majority of the people going to their respective places of worship and putting their shopping list before Vaheguru have a majazi ishq with Vaheguru. On the other hand, there have been instances of ilahi ishq between human beings, like Heer Ranjha, Sohni Mahiwaal, etc.

I heard a brilliant katha by Sardar Mohinder Singh Cheema ji who is an amazing chardi kala GurSikh from UK. He said people use the term "true love", does that imply there is a "false love" as well? I found that statement absolutely an eye-opener! Personally speaking, the way I see it, and correct me if I am wrong, but true love is always a one way track. You just give, give, and give, but never demand or even expect anything in return. The article I bumped yesterday where Swami Vivekanand details about love ran in my head all day yesterday. I was astonished as to how I didn't realize the beauty of it 2 years ago when I first posted it.

Imagine the love Dasmesh Pita Ji had for us. He sacrificed His Divine Father for us, yet He NEVER picked up 5 random Sikhs to behead. Rather He gave us the option as to who wanted to come forward and OFFER his/her head. THAT is true love. He sacrificed all 4 of His Divine sons, yet He said "inhi ki kirpa ke sajay hum hain". Anyone else would have said "I gave up everything for you. Now either you follow me or you are going to get it". But NO! He put Himself at a level lower than His followers. THAT is true love.

What do we call our loved ones? "Meri jaan"!!! What did He say? "Khalsa meri jaan ki jaan"! THAT is true love. I am amazed at Bhai Pooran Singh Jee's words. Bhai Sahib was an Amritdhari GurSikh who went to Japan and converted to Buddhism. When he came back to India, he felt ashamed of himself. But he says he found Dasmesh Pita Ji waiting for him with open arms. THAT is true love!

If only we could have such a love among GurSikhs, and why just GurSikhs, why not for the entire creation! Love is the oldest language. It reflects in your eyes when you smile, in your tone when you speak. Every muscle of your being exposes it.

Ishq aur mushk kadi nah chhipdey, bhaawe lakh chhupaiyye

Akha lakh jhukaa ke challiye, palla lakh bachaiyye

This reminds me of

hir kw Bgqu pRgt nhI CpY ]

har kaa bhagath pragatt nehee shhapai ||

The devotees of the Lord are known and respected; they do not hide in secrecy.

If we saw God in every human being, or each one as a creation of God (at least lol), it would be so much easier to forgive and not hate, to accept and not judge, to embrace and not fear, to respect and not condemn, to help and not neglect. The 5 vikaars would be light years away from us, as they would have no purpose to be around us.

And lastly, I sincerely wish I myself could start following all that I have typed above.

JustME guru pyareo ,

In 1981 ,Professor Manjit Singh(Jathedar Kesgarh Sahib), during a keertan diwan in Malaysia explained the diference between love and attachment .I have not forgotten that, in the last 28 years of my life by Guru Maharaj's kirpa .

Basically love is symbiotic, unselfish, lets go, and desires the other's best. attachment is parasitic ,needs the other person for your own needs whatever they may be, is self centered and food for the ego. True love empowers you, strengthens you and helps you help the other person .Attachment weakens you, makes you either aggressive ,jeolous or submissive and open to use, abuse and violence .

There is no such thing as selfish love. Love is from the spirit of God within ,whilst attachment ,as gurbani says is one of the 5 dogs within us ''eh bhitr te ein ko daroh ,apn nkt bulavoh'' ,i.e these 5 are within ,OLord sort em out for me and bring me into Your Presence .

Guru poses a question then Himself answers it in Gurbani ----'eso kaun beli re?' i.e who is such a warrior? The answer Gurujee gives is ''jinh mar bidareh panc surbeer so pura eh klee re'' i.e he who defeats and vanquishes the 5 little [demonic] fighters within, is the perfect person in kalyug .

Gursikhs are on a journey to cleanse ourselves of any sort of arttachment and to love truly all .This is a love that shows no favours,no favouritism ,based on blood ties or race .This love sees no enemies or strangers .''na ko beri nehi begana ,sagal sang hum ko bann aaee''

i.e

The best form of love is to see God in all .Guru Arjan Dev Jee in raag suhi ,pg 741 says ''ghat ghat antar parbrahm pechaneh''i.e Recognise the Supreme Lord in all hearts''.Then you will never break anyone's heart but flood it with true love from your own soul ,fuelled by Gurujee's bursting Naam within yourself .

As per traditional Punjabi philosophy (in accordance with Sufi philosophy), love is majazi (worldly) or ilahi (divine). Usually majazi ishq is between human beings, and ilahi is the one with Vaheguru. However, there is to standard rule to this. Majority of the people going to their respective places of worship and putting their shopping list before Vaheguru have a majazi ishq with Vaheguru. On the other hand, there have been instances of ilahi ishq between human beings, like Heer Ranjha, Sohni Mahiwaal, etc.

I heard a brilliant katha by Sardar Mohinder Singh Cheema ji who is an amazing chardi kala GurSikh from UK. He said people use the term "true love", does that imply there is a "false love" as well? I found that statement absolutely an eye-opener! Personally speaking, the way I see it, and correct me if I am wrong, but true love is always a one way track. You just give, give, and give, but never demand or even expect anything in return. The article I bumped yesterday where Swami Vivekanand details about love ran in my head all day yesterday. I was astonished as to how I didn't realize the beauty of it 2 years ago when I first posted it.

Imagine the love Dasmesh Pita Ji had for us. He sacrificed His Divine Father for us, yet He NEVER picked up 5 random Sikhs to behead. Rather He gave us the option as to who wanted to come forward and OFFER his/her head. THAT is true love. He sacrificed all 4 of His Divine sons, yet He said "inhi ki kirpa ke sajay hum hain". Anyone else would have said "I gave up everything for you. Now either you follow me or you are going to get it". But NO! He put Himself at a level lower than His followers. THAT is true love.

What do we call our loved ones? "Meri jaan"!!! What did He say? "Khalsa meri jaan ki jaan"! THAT is true love. I am amazed at Bhai Pooran Singh Jee's words. Bhai Sahib was an Amritdhari GurSikh who went to Japan and converted to Buddhism. When he came back to India, he felt ashamed of himself. But he says he found Dasmesh Pita Ji waiting for him with open arms. THAT is true love!

If only we could have such a love among GurSikhs, and why just GurSikhs, why not for the entire creation! Love is the oldest language. It reflects in your eyes when you smile, in your tone when you speak. Every muscle of your being exposes it.

Ishq aur mushk kadi nah chhipdey, bhaawe lakh chhupaiyye

Akha lakh jhukaa ke challiye, palla lakh bachaiyye

This reminds me of

hir kw Bgqu pRgt nhI CpY ]

har kaa bhagath pragatt nehee shhapai ||

The devotees of the Lord are known and respected; they do not hide in secrecy.

If we saw God in every human being, or each one as a creation of God (at least lol), it would be so much easier to forgive and not hate, to accept and not judge, to embrace and not fear, to respect and not condemn, to help and not neglect. The 5 vikaars would be light years away from us, as they would have no purpose to be around us.

And lastly, I sincerely wish I myself could start following all that I have typed above.

Mehtab Singh that was a great post. If a person is projecting love and joy which is a natural human condition they also attract it….the problem being, be the relationship with divinity or human alike the problem occurs when a person tries to find love in others and other things so they are no longer a source but a drain. Be joyful, be loving be happy…peace.

Some realy great replies...............it think is a beautiful notion that soul should be a vessel that transmits love.........and that we should be a beacon of light to all those around us..........there is always more pleasure in giving than recieving, as we begin to loose abit of that "self" that maharaj is telling us about..........ego............HauMai = Ha Mai = Yes I Am, if this becomes Tu Tu Tu, You You You...............how can we not become the very being that we were always meant to become?

Love is freedom...........everything simply limits all that we can possibly be...........

please do keep posting your thoughts

Some realy great replies...............it think is a beautiful notion that soul should be a vessel that transmits love.........and that we should be a beacon of light to all those around us..........there is always more pleasure in giving than recieving, as we begin to loose abit of that "self" that maharaj is telling us about..........ego............HauMai = Ha Mai = Yes I Am, if this becomes Tu Tu Tu, You You You...............how can we not become the very being that we were always meant to become?

Love is freedom...........everything simply limits all that we can possibly be...........

please do keep posting your thoughts

There is pleasure in both receiving and giving. For example there is little we could give to the Guru we can only receive vastness from him, so here we should also have love to receive. People between each other should give and receive joyfully and willingly, the only motive should be love and joy. This should be the basis of humanity.

gurufateh g

all love is selfish even a mothers love is selfish think about it she loves the child cause its her child

a husbands love is selfish too we love someone pecause they plese our souls

our love for God is selfish too because we get bliss from it and protection

the only unselfish love in this wrld is the love of the mercidul lord

who picks up sinners and gives them a throne

who loves n forgives even the lowest of the low

who saves those who seek his shelter from every bad thing

that is true love

what does God need from us he is always happy carefree nanak vigsai veparvahu