Who Is Allowed?

Traveller

So tell me, my sikh friends, can a non amritdhari perform kirtan on stage at a Gurdwara?

Many of my friends have given much mixed feedback on what they've been told is "acceptable" in their local gurdwara.

Apparently this is dependent on the sangat- well so it seems- as everyone has a different view. Surely if there are restrictions, these can be quoted from somewhere?

Also would a muslim who may be transfixed by the potency and beauty of some shabads be allowed to perform on stage- his/her mind and heart are afterall in the right place- or is that not to be respected or tolerated?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to firstly say as a general comment... 'What a load of nonsense!' It comes to something doesn't it when a person can't sing the keertan of Vaaheguroo which is supposedly open to all, which is not constricted by religion, race, gender, or whether a person is amrithdhaari or not - just to a person who has the love for God; implanted deeply into their heart. If this was the case, you might as well not allow non-amrithdhaaris to do Sevaa, or to read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee to the Sangat- this is heartbreaking!

As we can see from past experiences, just like that of other religions e.g. that of the abrahamic faiths - that like once more, the purity of a path fades over time; and the original message is lost - when individuals decide to force their own opinion on sikhi or change certain elements - thus giving rise to mini-sects e.g. Naamdhari, AKJ etc.

A person who feels the love for Vaaheguroo should be able to sing the keertan of the lord and profess it; infront of the sangat whilst on a stage.

This is deeply upsetting that this is even having to be discussed.

Sorry if I have offended anyone or appeared to be angry - this wasn't my intention.

God Bless. Take Care.

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh! :pray:

A Muslim, Bhai Mardana Mirasi, used to do kirtan for Guru Nanak Sahib whole his life !

Usually Guru Sahib themselves used to ask Bhai Mardana to do kirtan...

I see no reason why a Sikh is to stop a non-Sikh or non-Amritdhari from doing kirtan, if the Guru not only allowed but also 'encouraged' it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

I thought that the above two posts would be the view of the gursikhs I have encountered.

I know some Gurdwaras where when my friends say they would like to do kirtan, the giani's eyes light up with happiness to see them getting involved.

However, I have spoke with teachers of instruments, gursikhs and giani's who have said they would not teach anyone who has cut hair and would not even let them step foot on the stage.

Hearing this led me to believe maybe there is a reason, a rule somewhere, which means people should feel this way.

Sorry if I offended anyone by asking, but its a question born from very current views which have been expressed by sikhs around me.

if a person is reading or singing gurbani in gurus darbar then they are acting as a vehicle for the gurus message. if they are not following even basic rehit of guru sahib then it seems hypocritical. this is the reason as to why amritdharis are given seva in gurus darbar or at least i think this is the reason.

however, i do have full faith that bhai mardana ji was a sikh of guru nanak dev ji

if a person is reading or singing gurbani in gurus darbar then they are acting as a vehicle for the gurus message. if they are not following even basic rehit of guru sahib then it seems hypocritical. this is the reason as to why amritdharis are given seva in gurus darbar or at least i think this is the reason.

however, i do have full faith that bhai mardana ji was a sikh of guru nanak dev ji

so by this, are we to believe such participation in the Gurdwara is reserved for amritdharis? As anyone else it would be hypocritical?

Again, another question about the divide.

What was the recent film: United we stand, Divided we Fall.

This ego that has welled up within the Sikh Panth is digressing the faith, and causing a great blunder for those who desire to step upon the path of Sikhi.

If Khalsa school can be given as an example, where children are allowed to play Kirtan to their hearts desires without discrimination, why is it that we choose to strip people of their purity and innocence when they grow older?

Guest fordcapri
So tell me, my sikh friends, can a non amritdhari perform kirtan on stage at a Gurdwara?

Many of my friends have given much mixed feedback on what they've been told is "acceptable" in their local gurdwara.

Apparently this is dependent on the sangat- well so it seems- as everyone has a different view. Surely if there are restrictions, these can be quoted from somewhere?

Also would a muslim who may be transfixed by the potency and beauty of some shabads be allowed to perform on stage- his/her mind and heart are afterall in the right place- or is that not to be respected or tolerated?

Theres many non amritdhari performing kirtan in Gurdwara, just like they do sevar in Lungar halls and are on commitees, whats the matter dont you go that often that you havent sceen them ??

As for Muslims the only ones ive sceen/heard doing kirtan are Nursrat Fateh Ali Khan,i guess theres more.

A hypocrit is a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion.

If one is not prepared to follow the hukam, and take Amrit and keep rehat then they cannot lead the reading of Gurbani or preform keertan in the sangat.

What next... Can non amritdharies be in the panj pyare.

Non Amritdharie and Panj Pyare are not possible...so why ask ??

Non Amritdharies do sevar in lungar halls would u not accept food from them ?? Ive sceen them loads of times "char jee" char jee"

nothing wrong with that they asking for?..... nothing.