Origin of "Vaheguru"

akjforever

siqjug siqgur vwsdyv vwvw ivSnw nwm jpwvY

sathijug sathigur vaasadhaev vaavaa vishanaa naam japaavai||

In Satyug, Visnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and ‘V’ Of Vahiguru reminds of Visnu.

duAwpr siqgur hrIikRSn hwhw hir hir nwm iDAwvY

dhuaapar sathigur hareekrishan haahaa har har naam dhhiaavai||

The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and ‘H’ of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

qRyqy siqgur rwm jI rwrw rwm jpy suK pwvY

thraethae sathigur raam jee raaraa raam japae sukh paavai||

In the the treta was Ram and ‘R’ of Vahiguru tells that rembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

Bh Gurdaas Jee (Vaars)

kiljug nwnk gur goibMd ggw goivMd nwm jpwvY

kalijug naanak gur gobi(n)dh gagaa govi(n)dh naam japaavai||

In kalijug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and ‘G’ of Vahiguru gets Govind recited.

cwry jwgy chu jugI pMcwiex ivc jwie smwvY

chaarae jaagae chahu jugee pa(n)chaaein vich jaae samaavai||

The recitations o f all the four ages subsume in Panchayan i.e. in the soul of the common man.

cwroN ACr iek kr vwihgurU jp mMqR jpwvY

chaaro(n) ashhar eik kar vaahiguroo jap ma(n)thr japaavai||

When joining four letters Vahiguru is remembered,

jhW qy aupijAw iPr qhW smwvY ]ôù]ñ

jehaa(n) thae oupajiaa fir thehaa(n) samaavai ||aa||a||

The jiv merges again in its origin.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sikh scholars such as Bhai Vir Singh Jee who have translated Bhai Gurdas Dhia Varaa are of the opinion that this particular PouRi was added in much after Bhai Sahib composed his Varaa. It is not the composition of Bhai Gurdas Jee. This PouRi is inaccurate both historically and Gurmat wise. In other words, it is “milaavath”.

Sikh scholars such as Bhai Vir Singh Jee who have translated Bhai Gurdas Dhia Varaa are of the opinion that this particular PouRi was added in much after Bhai Sahib composed his Varaa. It is not the composition of Bhai Gurdas Jee. This PouRi is inaccurate both historically and Gurmat wise. In other words, it is “milaavath”.

Vishnu, Ram, Gobind and Hari are all God's Names, If you read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee , then you will find all these words being used in plenty, Most being Har

I hope that clears your doubts about the composition of Wahiguru

I've also come across the comments of Bhai Vir Singh Ji who was very close friends with Baba Harnaam Singh Ji of Rampur Khera. Now both were very chardi kaala Sikhs with lots of naam kamaae so it's hard to decide who to 'follow'.

It would be best for us Sikhs that we don't get into such controveries at this level and at this time... For those who are interested in reading more about what Bhai Vir Singh Ji had to say refer to his teeka of Bhai Gurdas Ji Dieaa Vaaran. He has written about 2 pages on this vaar to give his opinion.

Just to clear Bhai Vir Singh Ji's side, he says that there has not been any avtar who preached the name Vasdev as naam. Vasdev is actualy the name of the highest Devta of the Dev lok according to Hindu mat. He also says that why would Bhai Gurdas Ji choose the name 'Gobind' when all the Guru Sahibs used the name of Guru Nanak Sahib ji?

Anyway, I read this like over year ago so don't really remember everything correctly. Correct me if I am wrong.

Personally it does not really matter to me if this Pauri is written by Bhai Gurdas Ji or not...

Yes. Raam, Govind, Hari are God's Names. but in this context (if you read the verses above) Raam is used for Raam Chandar and Govind is used for Guru Gobind Singh (as in form of Guru Nanak Sahib).

And is Vishnu also a name of God?

Some of Vaars in Bhai Gurdas' Varaan are not written by him. The last Vaar (41st) was written after/at the time of Guru Gobind Singh jee. And Bhai Gurdas jee lived before that time. I think that Vaar was written by Bhai Gurdas SINGH 'Bhalla (?)' and added to Bhai Gurdas' Vaaran later on.