Origin of "Vaheguru"

akjforever

Yes. Raam, Govind, Hari are God's Names. but in this context (if you read the verses above) Raam is used for Raam Chandar and Govind is used for Guru Gobind Singh (as in form of Guru Nanak Sahib).

And is Vishnu also a name of God?

Some of Vaars in Bhai Gurdas' Varaan are not written by him. The last Vaar (41st) was written after/at the time of Guru Gobind Singh jee. And Bhai Gurdas jee lived before that time. I think that Vaar was written by Bhai Gurdas SINGH 'Bhalla (?)' and added to Bhai Gurdas' Vaaran later on.

41st vaar is by Bhai Gurdas 'DUJJA'

As they call him, and

I wasa told that it was added to make less confusions :umm:

And I think BHai Rama jee also writes in his book that that specific vaaar /Pauri is a bit contreversial - and its nto sure whether its'manipulations n stuff'

bhull chukk maaf

GurFAteh

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vasudeva (Vishnu), Vishnu is a hindu diety. I was a moorakh earlier to think it a name of God.

I remembered four names of God when i recited Waheguru, but in no way I meant remembering the hindu dieties or Avatars.

Thanks to Deep Singh for bringing it out ^_^

I agree with Son of Guru Gobind Singh, we should not argue about this and it doesnt matter.

I have also read Bhai Vir Singh Ji's opinion on this // in his teeka of Bhai Gurdas Ji's varan. According to him, this // is not by Bhai Gurdas Ji. About about Bhai Gurdas dooja, what I have read in a book about Sant Attar Singh Ji Mastuaane wale by Sant Teja Singh Ji, that there was only ONE Bhai Gurdas. Bhai Gurdas Ji wrote "Waho Waho Gobind Singh aape Gur Chela" and many other shabads before these events took place in Sikh History since Bhai Gurdas Ji was not alive physically in Guru Guru Gobind Singh Ji. When asked how it is possible, Sant Ji said, if Baalmik can write Ramayan before it happened, why can't Bhai Gurdas write this?

Sikh scholars such as Bhai Vir Singh Jee who have translated Bhai Gurdas Dhia Varaa are of the opinion that this particular PouRi was added in much after Bhai Sahib composed his Varaa. It is not the composition of Bhai Gurdas Jee. This PouRi is inaccurate both historically and Gurmat wise. In other words, it is “milaavath”.

If this is true, then where does the word Vaheguru come from? It is not in the SGGS. :T:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sat Sri Akal:

"If this is true, then where does the word Vaheguru come from? It is not in the SGGS. "

Oh yes it is :nihungsmile: :

vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jeeo ||

Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o.

kaval nain madhhur bain kott sain sa(n)g sobh kehath maa jasodh jisehi dhehee bhaath khaahi jeeo ||

You are lotus-eyed, with sweet speech, exalted and embellished with millions of companions. Mother Yashoda invited You as Krishna to eat the sweet rice.

dhaekh roop ath anoop moh mehaa mag bhee ki(n)kanee sabadh jhanathakaar khael paahi jeeo ||

Gazing upon Your supremely beautiful form, and hearing the musical sounds of Your silver bells tinkling, she was intoxicated with delight.

kaal kalam hukam haathh kehahu koun maett sakai ees ba(n)mya gyaan dhhyaan dhharath heeai chaahi jeeo ||

Death's pen and command are in Your hands. Tell me, who can erase it? Shiva and Brahma yearn to enshrine Your spiritual wisdom in their hearts.

sath saach sree nivaas aadh purakh sadhaa thuhee vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jeeo ||1||6||

You are forever True, the Home of Excellence, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||1||6||

(Bhatt Gayandh, Svaiyay Mehl 5, 1402).

It is not in the SGGS.

akjforever, ji this is exactly what i thought. but i was wrong. the word "Waheguru" is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It appeared 6 times in two tuks, 3 times each in this shabad:

vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jee-o.

Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o.

kaval nain maDhur bain kot sain sang sobh kahat maa jasod jisahi dahee bhaat khaahi jee-o.

You are lotus-eyed, with sweet speech, exalted and embellished with millions of companions. Mother Yashoda invited You as Krishna to eat the sweet rice.

daykh roop at anoop moh mahaa mag bha-ee kinknee sabad jhanatkaar khayl paahi jee-o.

Gazing upon Your supremely beautiful form, and hearing the musical sounds of Your silver bells tinkling, she was intoxicated with delight.

kaal kalam hukam haath kahhu ka-un mayt sakai ees bamm-yu ga-yaan Dhayaan Dharat hee-ai chaahi jee-o.

Death`s pen and command are in Your hands. Tell me, who can erase it? Shiva and Brahma yearn to enshrine Your spiritual wisdom in their hearts.

sat saach saree nivaas aad purakh sadaa tuhee vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahiguroo vaahi jee-o. ||1||6||

You are forever True, the Home of Excellence

, the Primal Supreme Being. Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Guru, Waahay Jee-o. ||1||6|| [sGGS 1402]

There are a number of reasons why some Sikh scholors are of the opinion that this PouRi is a later addition of Bhai Gurdas Dhai Varaa.

According to that particular PouRi (48) Vaar 1

-The names taken from Satyug, Dwaparug, Tretayug, and Kalyug are Vaasdev, Raam, Harkrishan, and Gobind. From these names you get four words VA, RA, H, GO but if you put them together you get VARAHGO, not VAHEGURU. If you switch around Dwaparug, Tretayug, and Kalyug then you get VAHGORA, and not VAHEGURU.

-If you just go with the sounds i.e. the initials, then you get “VHGR”, not VAHEGURU.

-The writer of the PouRi indicates the letter of GA means Guru Gobind Singh Jee. But how can this be since Bhai Gurdas Jee died during the times of Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee. Guru Gobind Singh Jee was not even born yet. This in itself indicates that this PouRi was added in after Guru Gobind Singh Jee.

-Krishan and Raam were avatars of Vishnu i.e. Vaishnav Avtar. According to Gurmat, we as Sikhs do not worship them in anyway, but this PouRi brings them up to the same level as Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee. These Avtars were Chelaas (followers) of Gurus like “Ghor Anghra”, and “Vashisht”. Then how can Bhai Gurdas Jee refer to them as Gurus, they were simply Avtaars.

One of the historical inaccuracies in this PouRi is the first Tukh. It’s implying that “VaasDev” was the Avtar in Satyug. But Vaasdev was one the names of Sri Krishan. Infact Sri Krishan got this name because his father’s name was “Vasudev”, thus Krishan began to be known “VasuDev Krishan”. But Krishan was born in Dwaparyug, and not Satyug. So how can Vaasdev have been the Naam in Satyug?

I don’t belie

ve that Bhai Gurdas Jee could have made this historical mistake, so it is not the Rachnaa of Bhai Gurdas Jee.

Thank you sangat jeeo ... even I had doubts about the origin of the word 'WaaheGuroo' ^_^

but this thread now has made facts clearer ...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

ps: we hv a lot of arguments in our local Gurudwaara Sahib about doing Simran using "Waheguroo" :umm: @

it does make u wonder why ppl behave like that :T: