Is Sikhi Suroop A Handicap !

I would be interested in your views on why so many girls (India, Europe, North America, etc) insist on clean shaven boys as a fundamental pre-requisite to marriage.

Some of these girls actually come from Gur/kesdhari families but irrespective of the potential partners family pedigree/ profession/ personality, etc cannot get past the fact he personifies the suroop of the Sikh and is rejected from the onset.

Whilst the Panth has it challenges (like any other faith group), we are besotted by the baba movements, RSS, Dasam Granth authenticity, human rights, (all quite rightly so) etc., but are we failing to address a seismic epidemic of Gur/khesdari Singhs unable to marry (or at the very least denting their confidence to marry).

My fear is ‘Sikhi mass’ will diminish as the wives/ mothers/ back bone of the family is Sikh averse. I am also seeing a growing trend of where the dad keeps the suroop (in a very manufactured way) and the son is clean shaven from a young age.

Should Gur/kesdhari Sikhs re-balance this post-modernist feminine fantasy that will have dire consequences for future generations.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you speaking from experience? In my case, I have to keep rejecting offers of marriage despite the fact I'm Amritdhari - don't want to get married, lol. I also hear Bibiyan saying it is hard to find Gursikh boys for their daughters etc.

What I find more worrying are the people who claim to be Amritdhari but then you find out the only Kakkars they keep are Kesh and Kara.

I would be interested in your views on why so many girls (India, Europe, North America, etc) insist on clean shaven boys as a fundamental pre-requisite to marriage.

loads of girls i know dig the sikh look

SINGH IS KING!

Caveman: I agree with you. But, the common instict is that there are more girls out there that actually do not care for the Sikhi suroop. In fact it detests them !

The subtext to my intial post is how can the mass and inertia of the Panth be increased when we have the child bearers (not being sexist, but biologically factual) repulse at the notion of their child or partner keeping Sikhi suroop??????

Caveman: I agree with you. But, the common instict is that there are more girls out there that actually do not care for the Sikhi suroop. In fact it detests them !

The subtext to my intial post is how can the mass and inertia of the Panth be increased when we have the child bearers (not being sexist, but biologically factual) repulse at the notion of their child or partner keeping Sikhi suroop??????

i disagree with you on the basis i hate your guts, im kidding, back to the point, i know loads of non sikhs who also love the ''sikh look''....

a close friend of mine his girlfriend a non sikh wants him to grow his kesh and dhari..

Are many 'Sikh' men willing to accept the Sikh look of a women? Don't some Sikh men also insist on facially waxed, dolled up wife who should need to look like a bollywood princess.

How many 'Sikh' men would marry a Singhni who is keeping rehat and respecting her Keshas, not just on the head but the rest of the body too??

Guest Kizarny

IMHO, I think some girls are intimidated by sikhi saroop and don't find guys like that approachable. If you are talking about an arranged marriage, then just let your parents do the work for you.

However, I think it would be hard for a sikh male to get a "normal" date with a girl in a country like America or UK.

How many 'Sikh' men would marry a Singhni who is keeping rehat and respecting her Keshas, not just on the head but the rest of the body too??

That's a tough question, but I would say not many.

Thats just your perception on it. Our perception, comes from karma. If all you see if negative or bad things, or say your can't get a wife or whatever, its because of your karma. Worship God get good karma, and bad things won't happen to you. You wouldn't even worry about this, Guru takes care of everything if you go to his domain.

e.g caveman's perception of the world is that girls digg the sikh look, but yours isn't. Just love God man, he will take care of all your problems.

e.g caveman's perception of the world is that girls digg the sikh look, but yours isn't. Just love God man, he will take care of all your problems.

its partially true, some girls do some girls dont, people should just deal with it

thumbs up to the love god bit

good question