Sikh History Books

Singhstah

There is a new book on the COMPLETE history of Hari Singh Nalwa. the greatest sikh general of the times of ranjit singh. this book has many untold and hidden information about hari singh. it was written in accordance with his descendant by Nidar Singh Nihang and Paramjit Singh.

Whoa! That's got to be one to look out for!

Any more info regarding that brother?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a book called "THe sword of the Khalsa" I read by a Hindu author. Although he writes from an Indian nationalist perspective the work does cover the battle strategies of the early Sikh battles better than any other work I have read.

Check it out.

http://www.vedamsbooks.com/no15037.htm

How reliable is the book? Does it reference any primary (or even secondary) sources when it describes the kind of warfare in which these puratan jungee Khalsa were engaged?

Thanks,

K.

There is a book called "THe sword of the Khalsa" I read by a Hindu author. Although he writes from an Indian nationalist perspective the work does cover the battle strategies of the early Sikh battles better than any other work I have read.

Check it out.

How reliable is the book? Does it reference any primary (or even secondary) sources when it describes the kind of warfare in which these puratan jungee Khalsa were engaged?

Thanks,

K.

It is pretty solid in my opinion. It uses Panth Prakash a lot. It also (interestingly) doesn't discount Sikh oral tradition and sparingly makes use of it, but not blindly.

The arguments are generally balanced and robust. He makes an interesting point about the different ways Sikhs attacked Moghuls and Persians (Nadir Shah), which seems to encompass an understanding of each groups motives. With Moghuls they undermined their ability to profit from and administer Panjab. With the Persians they interfered with their objective of plunder (profit) by attacking their baggage trains on the way back to Persia.

Thank you to everyone for all your advice, for starters I have ordered sicques tigers or thieves, cant wait for it to arrive. Please do keep any more suggestions coming for the benefit of all readers :)

Oh, and just wondering, does anyone know of any books which perhaps detail the strategies, formations,etc. used in Sikh wars, i.e. detailed battle descriptions? I imagine these would not be too hard to get for the anglo-sikh wars or something similar (eg.mahraja ranjit singh), but imagine finding anything like this for our Guru Mahraj's battles slightly more difficult. Does anyone know if any such books or records exist?

Check it out.

thanks alot, I will defintely look into this one :TH:

Leadership in its Finest Mold, Guru Gobind Singh, by Colonel Ravi Batra

Best book I have come across regardng 10th Masters battle stratagem, it also has many, many great quotes taken from primary sources.

If anyone finds these for sale, please PM me and let me know, I gave my copy away as a gift to someone.

Leadership in its Finest Mold, Guru Gobind Singh, by Colonel Ravi Batra

Best book I have come across regardng 10th Masters battle stratagem, it also has many, many great quotes taken from primary sources.

If anyone finds these for sale, please PM me and let me know, I gave my copy away as a gift to someone.

Is it worth $205? If so, there is a copy available on amazon.com now.

K.

Lol, although the knowledge contained within is priceless, I would look around, you should be able to pick a copy for around a tenner max. May have to go thtough Singh Bros in Amritsar.

You could get DTF on Soho Rd or Sikh Missionery in Southall to order it also.

There is a new book on the COMPLETE history of Hari Singh Nalwa. the greatest sikh general of the times of ranjit singh. this book has many untold and hidden information about hari singh. it was written in accordance with his descendant by Nidar Singh Nihang and Paramjit Singh.

Whoa! That's got to be one to look out for!

Any more info regarding that brother?

i will find out by the weekend

The Hari Singh Nalwa book is written by Vanit Nalwa, a decendant of Hari Singh Nalwa. I got my copy 2 weeks ago and it is great read with allot of information in there, a definite purchase for anyone interested in Sikh History.

You can purchase the book from http://www.harisinghnalwa.com/shoponline.html and you can have a quick look at the content page by clicking on the cover