Sikh And Hindu Arranged Marriages

london001

I joined shaddi.com and I was surprised at the number of Sikh girls who've specified that their partner be either Sikh or Hindu. How common is this? I can understand if the girl and boy met at university or work but why intentionally seek out a guy from another faith. (Most Sikh guys specified a Sikh girl.)

The reason might be because i highly doubt they are practicing sikhs. They probably considered themselves sikhs because they are born into a sikh family. but a sikh marring a hindu for some weird reason is considere acceptable by some people in the sikh community, whereas if a sikh marries a muslim, everyone gets fired up :huh:

Even born to sikh parents but not following sikhi themselves, girls, if you are reading this, very important, look for sikh preferably gursikh boys only. You will know the answers later in life why Guru Gobind Singh jee said a sikh's daughter should marry only a sikh. bakee je tusin bhatkana hee hai, taan mera this message cann't stop you either. Guru aap bachave una bhatke hoye juana nu jo sikhi ton moonh moR rahe ne. Life dee tuhanu ABC samajh nahi aayee aje, even though you may be Ph.Ds, Doctoros, or MBA degrees de hukdar hovon, intellectually. Humble request, bhul chuk muaf, please.

You will know the answers later in life why Guru Gobind Singh jee said a sikh's daughter should marry only a sikh
Why don't you enlighten us about this?

My parents always do this, if I question their decision on something important they respond with "koi naa kaka, jado tu sadi umer da ho jaiga fey tenu pata laggu ki reason aa" :huh: I mean why can't you just explain the reason now?!!! It's very annoying when they do that!

You will know the answers later in life why Guru Gobind Singh jee said a sikh's daughter should marry only a sikh

My parents always do this, if I question their decision on something important they respond with "koi naa kaka, jado tu sadi umer da ho jaiga fey tenu pata laggu ki reason aa" :huh: I mean why can't you just explain the reason now?!!! It's very annoying when they do that!

hahaaa kakajee dont feel annoyed no more . on this forum everything you ask will get answered ,even argued over, many times more than u bargained for hahaaaaaaaaa .

From the simple way my little brain works, i suppose the logic is that, at least by marrying a Sikh , then you are leaving the door open for many different possibilities and oppurtunities, i.e that, one of you will get fired up 4 sikhi sometime and lead on, the rest of the family .However if u marry a non -Sikh the onus will be on you to be fired up and even then you will face obstacles . A sikh partner is better facilitated to understand you because he/she would generally be more or less aware of various aspects of Sikh lifestyle, whether or not they follow it ,and hence more amicable to compromise with your demands.

Also as gurbani says,''vhtheiee vehvl boh piri chaleh ' i.e the vine can expand and go many generations'. Thus a couple both sikh may have interest in Sikhi but however are producing children . Because their mom n dad are occassionally going to gurudwara ,albeit just to attend a rites of passage ceremony like a marriage, that is creating oppurtunities for that child to be in a sikhi related environment which may spark that kid's interest in Sikhi and then be a force for change for that family towards sikhi. This is what i have observed anyway to be true for at least the last 2 generations of sikhs in my lifetime and the third coming up now who became/are becoming amritdharees , including 3HO where the converted sikh parents work hard to inherit their Sikhi tradition it to their kids, and so on.

My parents always do this, if I question their decision on something important they respond with "koi naa kaka, jado tu sadi umer da ho jaiga fey tenu pata laggu ki reason aa" huh.gif I mean why can't you just explain the reason now?!!! It's very annoying when they do that!

Here is the answer from personal experience. My mom was amritdhari before marriage but married to non-amritdhari, so couldnt' keep up her amrit, and regrets it so much, because my dad dont' agree that its necessary for person to be amritdhari. I disagree of course, but he is entitled to his opinion. He does appreciates me being amritdhari.

Now take my example, I got married (as babaji arranged/wanted/planned) in a gursikh family (in-laws were amritdhari but not my hubby). In 2008 vaisakhi we both took amrit and now I am putting every effort in making my kids to be close to sikhi with babaji's kirpa.

This is my answer, which you won't find out if you start on the wrong foot. U can only see your life being empty/meaningless at times and not understand why.

My parents always do this, if I question their decision on something important they respond with "koi naa kaka, jado tu sadi umer da ho jaiga fey tenu pata laggu ki reason aa" huh.gif I mean why can't you just explain the reason now?!!! It's very annoying when they do that!

and papi veerji, jehRe question tuhade parents nahi asnwer karde, forum te pa diya karo, cyber sangat may have answers for you.

In 2008 vaisakhi we both took amrit and now I am putting every effort in making my kids to be close to sikhi with babaji's kirpa.

Wow!!!! and you still have time to come on here and spend time with us lot on here!!!!!!! thxs sooooo much bhenjee! I feel so humbled.

So..... when are you going to invite all your hungry starving veers on SS, for some mooli paronthe, hahaaaa. I bet you feed your blessed hubby with the tastiest of food prepared whilst doing simran . lucky man hahaaa . Oh, in this day n age ,maybe its he who has to cook hahaaaaa . Pass him over to us ,we'll give him some goood recipes so he can cook while you type inspiring things on this site 4 us ,hahaaaa .

I haven't eaten mooli vale paronthe for long now, Singh has a problem with mooliya, so I just dont wanna cook only for myself, as kids these days are very picky.

Bibi ji when I asked you to explain it, it was for the kiddies of this forum. I am a bit old now, sadly :(

I do know the significance of marrying a Sikh. Now whether its as simple as amritdhari can only marry amritdhari is whole another question, which I would rather not get into.