sikh weddings

some of us hate sikh weddings. i personally do. heres why....

the dhol wale come into the gurdwara with people dancing and the groom on the horse. an insult to maharaj. not even the gurus used to do such things. when guru arjuns wife went to see baba buddha ji for a son, baba buddha ji told her to get out (she made all these nice dishes and came on horse). so when she came with food she made herself and walked it. baba ji was most pleased. who are we to do such insultive things?

of course the horse gets too scared to let the groom get down with all that noise of the dhol, so they lead it into the gurdwara. i saw that on a video.

then the milni in the gurdwara is another insultive thing.

so, you guys, why do you hate sikh weddings (when it comes to the gurdwara).

I personally don't like "punjabi" weddings, because they're not really a Sikh wedding, if you don't do it according to gurmat maryada.

For example, it was my cousin's wedding yesterday, wedding part at the gurdwara was fine, but the reception :wub: @ :) @ :) @ I hate going to parties, but had to go or else my parents would look bad in front of everyone :lol: @ And its just a bad atmosphere, with loud music, drunk people, and loads of alchohol.

Bhul chuk muaf! ^_^

GuruFatehJi.

KhalsaJi,

The greatest change can be made by how much we avoid such lavish and dramatic aspects of Sikh weddings. Within our own families, we have enough who want all this unnecessary aspects. But we have to put our foot down when our wedding comes up . . . I know it may be easier for the groom to state his stand than the for a bride (sadness) but it can be done. I'm going to to do that when my wedding comes up. I'm going to keep it simple and make sure it is an Anand Karaj and nothing more. If it offends our immediate families, I humbly apologise to them already because someday, someone has to shut the nonsence.

I have very strong views about the way our community, and even our familes do things. But I do not compromise with my Gurus' teachings. I can go against the world, but I can never go against my Gurus.

Besides our personal contribution to making a change (start planning now, the day's not too far off!), create awareness amongst the youth in Gurudwaras and distribute publications that speak of the evils within our culture that must be tamed.

GuruFatehJi.

L*

For example, it was my cousin's wedding yesterday, wedding part at the gurdwara was fine, but the reception    I hate going to parties, but had to go or else my parents would look bad in front of everyone  And its just a bad atmosphere, with loud music, drunk people, and loads of alchohol.

Bhul chuk muaf! 

i know it can be hard to back out of wedding parties but you really shouldn't have gone if you're so against the things that happen at them. once people know your rehat and that fact you keep away from things like that they don't expect you to attend anyway. paji you shouldn't care what people think

my cousin got married and alot of the amrithdari famlies didn't attend the reception, there was no hatred towards them at all. why would you or your famliy look bad? you could explain your reasons why and that would be the end of it.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I think that we really have to start to differentiate between the weddings and the reception. The Reception is an excuse to party, no other reason. Its not REQUIRED, but its not "against Sikhi".

The wedding itself should be treated with utmost humility. I was shocked to hear that some people bring horses to maharaj's darbar... like people should seriously think a little! I think that is what has been lost... everyone is trying to outdo one-another in glamour and stuff, it ruins the sanctity of the bond that Gurujee will make.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

i know it can be hard to back out of wedding parties but you really shouldn't have gone if you're so against the things that happen at them. once people know your rehat and that fact you keep away from things like that they don't expect you to attend anyway. paji you shouldn't care what people think

Thanks bhainji!!!!!! ^_^^_^