Sikh University Guide

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Some Sevadaars are putting together a University Guide for prospective Sikh students in the UK to provide information on various Universities across the country from a Sikhi perspective. Hopefully this guide will include information on local Gurdwaras, youth programmes and Sikh Societies.

If you are a student in the UK at any University please can you take the time to fill out the questionnaire below as fully as possible and email your replies to santsipahi@hotmail.co.uk

If you have any questions or suggestions please post them in this thread. Thank you very much.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

----------------------------

The Sikh University Guide 2009-2010

Thank you for agreeing to take part in this questionnaire. The answers provided herein will form the basis of a forthcoming Sikh University Guide ebook. Please be as detailed as possible in your answers as they will act as an invaluable source of information to all your younger brothers and sisters who are considering applying to your University.

City: University:

1. Approximately how many Sikhs are there in your city?

2. How many Universities are there in your city?

3. How many Sikh students are studying at your University?

4. Is there a Sikh Society at your University? If so, please describe its role and activities (preferably providing a weekly/monthly or yearly timetable). Please provide the society’s email address.

5. Is there a Gurdwara Sahib in your city? If so, how many? Please provide full addresses.

6. Are there any Sikhi-related programmes for the youth in your city organised by the Gurudwara Sahib or other Sikh organisations? If so, please describe them.

7. Describe how other students and the public treat you as a Sikh.

8. What would you say to Sikh students who are thinking about studying at your University?

Wonderful idea :)

I'm planning to move to UK next year for studies, and i've struggled to find info about the nearest Gurdwara sahib etc. The main reason i want to come to UK is the sangat, so this would be a great help.

Do you already have an idea when this guide will be published?

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, vaheguru ji ki fateh!

I realize that this guide is for Sikhs but even then more light needs to shed on the Uni's academic record. Things such as how they the Uni is ranked in the Country (World?), which departments/faculties are well known, what king of past/present/future projects are being done, maybe a bit about the professor's who teach there, etc...

When I went to uni here, the Sikh Society was not any help at all, especially academically. Because I started off bad, had to put in an extra semester to finish off my degree.

I realize that this guide is for Sikhs but even then more light needs to shed on the Uni's academic record. Things such as how they the Uni is ranked in the Country (World?), which departments/faculties are well known, what king of past/present/future projects are being done, maybe a bit about the professor's who teach there, etc...

When I went to uni here, the Sikh Society was not any help at all, especially academically. Because I started off bad, had to put in an extra semester to finish off my degree.

But it's quite easy to find information about the university rankings (though it's tougher to find information about the reputation of different departments, but eg. guardian.co.uk has rankings for that too). And universities have all the projects and professors listed on their websites. So there's no special need for that.

i ant believe the stupidity of some people. the best university for a sikh is the most academily successful ones!! not how many so called "sikhs" are there etc. im sure UCE (unbelievably crap polytechnic) is full of sikhs, doesnt mean sikhs should go there!!! nor does how many gurudwara nearby etc, you can gain the gian from sggs online etc nowadays, although darshan of the guru is good its the meassage which is more important than the darshan!

WAKE UP !!!

slandering is our favt pass time today .... are they forcing u to go to specif uni ??? whats wrong in converting facts and data to knowledge ??? the abc uni has xyz sikhs and rst gurughar is near by ... oh my god what info i have now i will be going to nark now ... this information is totaly anti sikhi ... :@