Vegetarianism & Leather/fur/snake Skin/wool Etc

Guest Veggie

Guest Veggie

Sangat Ji,

A question that has been on my mind for many years ...

I have seen many people turn towards Sikhi and adopt several lifestyle changes such as diet - vegetarianism, consumption of food that does not contain elements such as gelatine, egg, animal fat etc.

But then why do they still choose to wear clothing/shoes that are produced by harming animals? Why do they still use products that are produced by harming animals?

I see brothers and sisters, even those who have been blessed blessed blessed with Khande Di Pahul, who still choose to wear leather timberlands, wool jumpers, scarves, gloves, leather boots, gloves, trainers, hang leather khanda gloves in the car, actually even our cars have leather stearing wheels and gear stick covers ... the list goes on. I am guilty of this myself ... the bottom line is it's not ok to consume animal harming products externally if we truly believe that harming animals is wrong, if we believe that God exists in all and everything, if we truly put others before ourselves, if we really see ourselves as lowest of the low.

I would really like to hear Sangat's views on this.

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now whats next ??? u knew that cloth over which amrit da batta is kept is made of silk made after boiling thousands of worms and its used since very first amrit sanchar ... guru hargobind sahib jis bana which we have darshan is made of silk ... and the footwears of kalgidhar pita kept at patna sahib is made of leather ... are sikhs getting ahead of even their guru ...

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

For a moment I was wondering did I post this thread and forget about it? This question has been on my mind for many years too. I think a lot of the answers you will get will be things like 'Where do you draw the line' or 'Don't go overboard' etc. I have a feeling most of these replies are written because people prefer to choose the easier option rather than the right one.

The way I look at it every time we harm anyone or anything we will have to pay for it in some way, whether in this life or the next. Sakhis from Guru Har Rai Saheb Ji's life and also other Gursikh's experiences have indicated this. The only thing we can do is try not to intentionally harm animals and also pray to Guru Saheb so that he'll guide us. If you think about all the great Bhagats and Sants we've had, most of them lived very simple lives. Perhaps the issue is to cut out the attachment we have to Maya? And Guru Ji is very clear about how to deal with that.

I don't think we should compare ourselves to Guru Saheb. Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj hunted but this doesn't mean we should also. Remember that Guru Saheb was the embodiment of Akaal Purakh himself. Whichever animal Guru Sahib's arrows touched was undoubtedly liberated immediately. But we aren't Guru Ji.

In my opinion f you have the strength to stop doing/buying/eating/using all the things you mentioned then you should definitely go ahead and do it. But always supplement it with your internal rehit.

Everything I've said is my own opinion based on what I've learned from Gurbani and others over the last few years so I don't think you should use it as fact. As I've already said, I've been thinking about this issue for a long time too.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

p.s. Pheena if you read this please share your views.

Singhs that preach vegatarianism, but still buy leather products or other animal products are not aware of their actions. Just don't ask these Singhs, unless you want swords to come out. From your tooth paste to the car you drive be aware of what your doing. A part of Sikhi is to be self-aware of your actions. Guru Nanak Dev ji spoke of this kind of hypricosy that existed in the brahmins.

Live your life, just don't be a hypricrote.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Ji.

I don't understand this Sangat Ji, so in your opinion it is OK to use products made from harming animals?

do u see god in animals only ... if every thing is creation of god then everything is god ... even in rocks trees ... when some one dies in out family we kill 2 - 3 trees in order to get the wood just to burn him ... if anyone can justify cutting plants and even rocks and soil to made our house but not animals then he is not seeing god in them sorry to say that but he is not ... he is just feared to see the pain ... and he just names it i see god in it ... becuase once some one starts seeing god in anyone thing he starts seeing god in whole universe ... and the secret of world being an illusion is revealed to him though everyone knows it ...

Its not allowed in jain dharma to sit on a horse becuase they dont want to give him pain carrying them every where whole day ... i think it has a very strong logic ... they dont use milk products becuase its stealing and try and debate any jaini on this no one can win ... they have very strong arguments like its only men who steal milk why not any other creation of god ... no other creation in this world uses other creations milk other then human which makes it clear that its un natural that is against gods principals ... but sikhs kept horses and drink milk so did our gurus ...

If you cant see god in all you cant see god at all ... understand the creation of god please ... why god created you why you wore some thing why you eat something why god created animals humans plants trees fruits you me himself ...

this world is god and everything which is touchable un touchable visible un visible moveable unmovable living non living has god in it ... you can run away from from using things which have god ... the doors of my house once stood as trees upright if i didnt had them here they might be standing as trees even today ... if you feel pain wearing leather its very good this is how it should be as a sikh of guru ... but if ur feeling pain only by wearing leather thats bad it may be something else but not the god in creation ...

some times even i dont understand what i m saying but i know it has a meaning and i will find it one day ...

Singhs that preach vegatarianism, but still buy leather products or other animal products are not aware of their actions. Just don't ask these Singhs, unless you want swords to come out. From your tooth paste to the car you drive be aware of what your doing. A part of Sikhi is to be self-aware of your actions. Guru Nanak Dev ji spoke of this kind of hypricosy that existed in the brahmins.

you are the bloody hypocrit!!

do you drink water or water based liquids which are full of Gods innocent creatures? give up killing these innocent creatures for your dharam.

also the atta that you use for roti. does this come organically or are there thousands of Gods innocent creatures having had to die for it? do YOU check this? do you check how many of Gods inocent creatures died in causing this wheat to be grown?

are you aware if the fruit you eat is organic?

if you dont know then STFU before you call us hypocrits.

you are the bloody hypocrit!!

do you drink water or water based liquids which are full of Gods innocent creatures? give up killing these innocent creatures for your dharam.

also the atta that you use for roti. does this come organically or are there thousands of Gods innocent creatures having had to die for it? do YOU check this? do you check how many of Gods inocent creatures died in causing this wheat to be grown?

are you aware if the fruit you eat is organic?

if you dont know then STFU before you call us hypocrits.

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Relax! How can meat eaters be hypricotes they don't believe in vegetarianism and say everything is meat. Well that everything is meat doesn't make sense because you got Jhatka right!!!!!

If anything i was calling the pure vegatarian person that believes in harming animal is wrong for consumption, but for leather seats and sofa's it's okay. That's what you call a hypocrite.

But thanks for the laugh

khima! i thought you were giving it that sugarcane rubbish again. i c the point you were making. you are right, tho. if we started questioning everything as some are dong we would waste our whole life doing this whilst missing the true purpose in life.

I like you, you like me?