Jakara

S1ngh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

"does everyone here pretty much have the same opinion? "

Site name: Sikhsangat.com. Discussion Topics: Sikhism. Discussed People: Sikhs.

Yeah, pretty much. And we are those wild and crazy bunch that believe that Sikhism was a Universal religion that can appeal to every person, regardless of race, and is not restricted by, dependant on, or part of Punjabi culture. But that's just crazy old us.

"do you really think that is all panjabi culture is? is your definition of culture so narrow?"

Job for you. Go to next "Punjabi mela". Ask people there what their pind was famous for (producing drunks is not a valid answer). Ask what famous events took place in their pind. Ask what peoples the Punjabis are desended from (genetically). If they are so much into "Punjabi" culture, they would know some of these things. And what is really funny is that at all of these "Punjabi" melas, the Gujaratis are outnumbering the Punjabis (no offense to the Gujaratis).

What is so Punjabi about these events? Do people share tips on how to plant crops? Does the elder Punjabi tell the young Punjabis how land in Pakistan-Punjab was vastly superior to land in India-Punjab? After all, Punjab is an agricultural state, but hardly any Punjabi is talking of crops or cattle-feed at these gatherings.

when i meant same opinion, i wasn't talking about belief in Sikhism. I was referring is to a the Khmer Rouge belief of Day 0. Where you are not rooted in any land? And believe that most people don't have any attachment to their ethnic cultures...Of course, they do and so long as this movement to criticize those that are attached to their ethnic cultures, you will only exclude people and seem foolish. The Gurus spoke the idiom of the people and that is why they were successful. They took the cultural forms (culture is the living expressions of a land) and transformed them into something better (Diwali, Hola Mohalla, Vasaikhi). That was their genious. Not that they completely rejeccted these things, but they embraced that which was good and turned it into something better.

By no means, do I believe that Sikhi is not a universal religion that can appeal to every person, regardless of race, and is not restricted by, dependant on, or part of Punjabi culture. That idea isn't radical.

However, also being a Panjabi, there is something that even more resonates within me as this land that I am attached to is the same land that the Gurus spilt their blood on and for these same people. Although the message of the Gurus are eternal and hardly restricted to any area. The people of Panjab will always have a special beloved attachment to their Gurus as this is the people that gained so much from their lives.

I assume you may not be from a 'pind,' if that is what you believe most people think it is famous for. Most people will tell you the history of their villages. The person that started the village and for whom it was named after. They can tell you the gre

at warriors, panchayats, leaders, and other remarkable people that have come out of the village.

As far as Gujratis outnumbering the Panjabis at these mela that seems a rather racist comment to make, especially from one that should not divide people. But to answer your question, it matters where you are from. I went to the Yuba City Mela 2 weeks ago and I am certain that the ethnically Panjabi group were in the majority and had a great time at a great family-oriented functoin that did not serve alcohol or any other intoxicant. It was just a great festival for the entire family.

You know your last comment was especially interesting. Many brahmans, in order to mock the Sikhs, would say that Sikhs have no culture, except agriculture. You seem to subscribe to this paradigm. The canal colonies left in W. Panjab were vastly more fertile, you are right, but to the credit of the Sikh farmer the productivity in E. Panjab is much higher than that of their W. Panjabi brethren. Panjabis in America have much to talk about. Those still engaged in agriculture will discuss that. Those engaged in other occupations will discuss that. Seems rather racist. Can African-Americans only talk about rap music and sports? If they talk about something else, are they no longer black?

Sat Sri Akal:

"I assume you may not be from a 'pind,' if that is what you believe most people think it is famous for."

How many youth who go to melas are from some pind? Remember, the topic was talking of events that is sponsored by a college-age youth organization. Apply your comments to these events please.

"As far as Gujratis outnumbering the Panjabis at these mela that seems a rather racist comment to make, especially from one that should not divide people. But to answer your question, it matters where you are from. I went to the Yuba City Mela 2 weeks ago and I am certain that the ethnically Panjabi group were in the majority and had a great time at a great family-oriented functoin that did not serve alcohol or any other intoxicant. It was just a great festival for the entire family."

Truth is the truth, go to the events yourself (or perhaps this is just the thing here on the East Coast). As per the Yuba City Mela, that would be a rare exception where alcohol was not served, considering that is what Punjabi melas are famous for. Again, post is speaking of youth events held in colleges. Do your comments apply to those?

"You know your last comment was especially interesting. Many brahmans, in order to mock the Sikhs, would say that Sikhs have no culture, except agriculture. "

Never once did I say that that that is the ONLY thing that Punjab knows about. Read it again. If the state is an agricultural state, then you would at least expect to hear someone say something about their crops or cattle. And who said anything about Sikhs...we was talking about Punjabis right?

Seriously, I do not know what events you go to (no alcohol, no l

ewdness and family oriented), but that don't sound like no Punjabi Mela I have ever heard of. If you go to only those, great, more power to you. But go to the Punjabi events in a college or university, and you will not see any of the type of people you are describing. What are Punjabi events known for there? Alcohol, lewdness, violence, and recently, insulting Sikhism on stage.