Turban Tying Ceremony

AmarjitKaur

I was searching online in rehatnams and on other sikhi related sites if turban tying ceremony is cultural or religious.

I think it should be religious, but I don't see it as part of the rehatnams as other ceremonies are mentioned like janam sanskar, vidiya sanskar, Amrit, marriage and death.

Even though its religious symbol to wear turban, how come its not part of religious ceremonies.

I am trying to find out what are the guidelines if any.

Basically, I would like my kid to start wearing turban after doing ardas in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and taking the permission. Even though, he has already tied turban during camps.

The other question would be when do you do that? Is there any specific age person should do the ceremony at.

Do sikhs follow any odd no. years notion. I know Sikhs should not believe in specific numbers. All years should be equal.

But still wanna know the views of Sangat as somebody out there might have had the similar experience.

Grandmothers say it should be 5,7,9,11th year of kids age.

I say it shouldn't matter which year, it could be 6,810,12 too as long as my son wants to start wearing turban and is ready for it.

What do u think?

in case a similar thread exists on this forum, please point me to it, as I didn't find any. or I dont' know how to search:-)

You don't have to wait until 5 or 11 years of age. It's probably better to start at a few months of age.

You can find plenty of pictures of Nihang Singh's children at about 3 or so wearing full bana. Suddenly springing the turban on children when they're almost in puberty is probably going to seem like a big shock.

If they've already been wearing a dastar for as long as they can remember, it'll be all that more difficult to not wear one.

As far as dastarbandi not being a specifically mentioned sanskar, well, ideally everything you do is preceded by ardas. So, you wouldn't necessarily have a specific final exams sanskar, new house sanskar, new car sanskar, etc. but you'd still do ardas for them. Inviting a family and friends and doing some kirtan just cements the importance of dastar in the young child's head.