Kirpan In School, Will I Be Allowed?

sukhjeevansingh

I wrote to my school (I'm in sixthform) seeking a clarifcation on their policy on the Kirpan. However many white students raised concerns for their own safety and said parents would object to it. The headmaster said he will discuss it with me next week but i am suprised that the law is:

4 Governing bodies of all schools and, in the case of county and controlled schools, LEAs, have responsibilities under health and safety legislation to ensure the welfare of those within schools. It is for them to decide whether to allow Sikh children to wear a kirpan in schools. They will need to be able to satisfy themselves that the kirpan does not present a health and safety risk either to the child wearing it or to other pupils and staff.

http://share-inspiration.blogspot.com/2007/09/school-security-and-wearing-kirpan-sikh.html

If they say no or tell me to wear the kirpan pendant or something I'd leave school for amrit di daat but i'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't let me :S so is it best to wait or what? shall i get in contact with the United Sikhs Bibi ji? It caused a bit of debate with my sixthform students i study with two, there was a clear divide with the majority saying if so much is being done to stop knife crime then why should sikhs be allowed it.

I explained a sikh would never use it in offence and was a weapon of defense fo the poor the defenceless, dharam and self-defence. They said these excuses could be used by a knife carrying "chav" and he/she wouldnt be allowed so why should you sukhjeevan?

veerji! i considered not doing that in the first place but if i get kicked out after then theyve got more reason to do that. i did it to reduce a vivaad cunjuring up in the future, and prevention is the best cure! Guru Sahib probably would of wanted us to face to problems rather then hide them away?

Chalo, sorry ji! i've made a mistake by telling them, i'm stupid clearly :( but you could still advise/help your young sikh brother about this situation please? :)

If they bring up the 'knife crime' argument, ask for statistics showing how many crimes have been committed using a Kirpan. They won't find a single instance. The other thing you can do is show your headmaster a Kirpan and point out that a pair of dividers or compass or even a sharp pencil is more dangerous. You could go as far as signing a form saying you will take all responsibilty (hence waiving the school from any liability) for any injury to yourself or others that may arise from you wearing the Kirpan.

Just do Ardas and if the school accepts than good, if not then fight them all the way.

i'm sure there are at least some sikh legal organisations in the area where you live. talk to the gurdwara secretaries to find some for you. in the meantime, check out the SALDEF and United Sikhs websites for legal info.

Best thing though, was to just wear a small kirpan on a short gatra (so it doesn't move around) and keep it gupt. Goray love to push their way of thinking onto people.