Bbc1 1984 Documentary

hardeepgill

On Sunday 10th Jan 22:55

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pzc69

1984: A Sikh Story

Watch:

Next on:

Sunday, 22:55 on BBC One (except Scotland)

Synopsis

Just over 25 years ago, the storming of The Golden Temple, the most sacred of Sikh shrines, by the Indian Army led to protests around the world.

Sonia Deol embarks on a personal journey to unravel the events of 1984, an iconic year for Sikhs. It culminated in thousands of deaths including the assassination of the Prime Minister, Mrs Indira Gandhi.

The bloody aftermath that followed so shocks Sonia that she is forced to reappraise the depth of her commitment to her faith.

Oh my, if Sonia Deol is the presenter, judging by her track record, I suspect she will label the Singhs as "terrorists" and "extremists". Would be great to be proved wrong.

Waheguroo

Yeahh, I think i remember her labelling the Shaheed Singhs as 'extremists' and 'terrorists' on the BBC Asian Network...

Bhull Chuk Maaf

Oh god, not that Sonia Deol cat again. If this documentary mis-represents sikhs and portrays them from the Butcher's view point i.e. the Indian Govt's view point as terrorists,

then she better pray she dont ever get caght in public. A smudge on the Sikh image in the media and even worse thing is that she has a Sikh name.

Shes either extremely naive or isnt too farmiliar with facts from the past quatre century.

I'll be watching it for sure

Sonia Deol does not have the intellect and/or understanding to front a documentary on 1984 period, a heavyweight subject like this needs the likes of Simon Schama,

The attack on Harmandir Sahib was nothing but a political end game to humiliate and subject the Sikh Panth. My regret was that the SPGC and Akali Dal played into the hands of the Congress and failed to uphold the interests of the Sikhs leading up to the attack on Harmandir Sahib, during after and the pogroms that followed when Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated.

If the Vatican was attacked by the Italian Army, I doubt very much the Pope and his clique would survive politically after the aftermath. It never ceases to amaze me the Akali Dal and SPGC are still in power. These organisations should have been disbanded and all individuals in positions of power excommunicated from the Sikh Panth.

Sonia deal always compares Sikh freedom fighters to Muslim extremeists. She has stupidly compared the Sikh struggle for freedom to muslims wanting sheria law in the UK. She does not understand Sikh moral and ethics are totally different to those of the Islamic faith. Often when Sikh callers call in on her show she questions them about either khalistan or their take on kirpan issues within the uk - even if this has nothing to do with the topic being discussed. No doubt in her defence, she will say "as a radio host I need to remain objective"…but this is not being objective. Nihal is a failing <banned word filter activated> too… but even he is more clued up on the Sikhs, 1984 etc then sonia deol! i have heard the documentry will be neutral... having said that, it would take more then a 30min documentry to show the injustices sikhs faced that lead up to 1984!

Is is a new documentary, or the same that was shown last year?

Anyway, let's see it first before making judgement. Also, maybe she's never heard the other side of the story or nobody's bothered to explain what the struggle was about. Where does a journalist go for such information in the UK? There are no well known, decent Sikh organisations or groups that have members who are able to explain the facts about 1984 without their own biases or agendas, or in good English, for that matter.

It would be good if we could make a list of good sources on 1984 like: "Fighting For Faith and Nation" by Cynthia Mahmood; " Gallant Defender" by A.R.Darshi etc and send them to Sikh/Punjabi journalists.

Is is a new documentary, or the same that was shown last year?

Anyway, let's see it first before making judgement. Also, maybe she's never heard the other side of the story or nobody's bothered to explain what the struggle was about. Where does a journalist go for such information in the UK? There are no well known, decent Sikh organisations or groups that have members who are able to explain the facts about 1984 without their own biases or agendas, or in good English, for that matter.

It would be good if we could make a list of good sources on 1984 like: "Fighting For Faith and Nation" by Cynthia Mahmood; " Gallant Defender" by A.R.Darshi etc and send them to Sikh/Punjabi journalists.

as a journalist, if she (or anyone else for that matter) would have taken the time to research 1984 for themselves they would have noted the books you have cited as they pop up repeatidly (not to mention Cynthia Mahmood has given a few interviews to the bbc regarding Sikh millitancy and the concept of Shaheedi or Matrydom in the SIkh Faith). in addition to this, journalists can identify bias material when they see it better then anyone and they have easier access to research materials (compared to ordinary citizens). If she does not know the facts about a subject how can she comment on it?