What Is The Significance Of Lohri For Sikhs ?

Guest PunjabSingh

Are Sikhs not Punjabis also?yes,they are.Then it is their cultural festival as well.Dulla Bhatti was a hero who took on Moghal might and saved honour of Punjab.

everyone now knows credentials of turncoat Mann who is courting nindak missionaries.

you forget you can be Punjabi and be sikh but you can be sikh and not be punjabi , sikhi is not tied down to Punjabiyat it is a Universal Faith.

How can something be the cultural festival of Sikhs which was only a short time ago, and in many cases still is an extreme showcase of sexist simpletons?

I commend some families that a while back made the initial stands to celebrate for girls as well. If that is still novel then it should be muted for all other purposes. If that is no longer novel then we should consider evolving, and for an iota of respect for sisters, mothers and ourselves, bury the occasion.

We remain slaves to a sexist air in India. But what is our excuse in the diaspora for remaining sexist neanderthals? I've never seen true Sikh warriors fit typical punjabi traits. So many sikhs are punjabis and some of it is beautiful. But much of punjabism is far removed from sikhi. The sooner sikhs understand that, the sooner they respect their past enough to see clearly moving forward.

you forget you can be Punjabi and be sikh but you can be sikh and not be punjabi , sikhi is not tied down to Punjabiyat it is a Universal Faith.

Sikhs originated from Punjab. And majority of them live there. When we talk about lohri,it is in context of Punjab only.

Are Sikhs not Punjabis also?yes,they are.Then it is their cultural festival as well.Dulla Bhatti was a hero who took on Moghal might and saved honour of Punjab.

everyone now knows credentials of turncoat Mann who is courting nindak missionaries.

Apparently, you have issues with Sardar Simranjit Singh Mann, but no problems with Badal.

Apparently, you have issues with Sardar Simranjit Singh Mann, but no problems with Badal.

Of course i have issues with Badal as well.Once badal starts hobbnobing with anti sikh elements operating under guise of missionaries,i will condemn him as well.

Mann had been drumming as saviour of sikhs against religious persecution and now he is in bed missioanries who condemn bani of khalsa.What type of khalistan

Mann will make in which there will be no bani of khalsa.

By the way did you see picture of Mann embracing harjinder dilgeer?

to drink and eat meat and get drunk @ thats for my family :( sucks

Thats a funny family you got there. :omg: You might wanna get a genuine Punjabi to give them a step by step guide of how to celebrate Lohri. There's no drink or meat involved, its all about Monkey Nuts and Saag.

I've spent many a Lohri in rural Punjab. You gotta remember rural Punjabis are very different to urban Punjabis. In rural Punjab we all go to sleep around 8 in the evening at the latest and all wake up before dawn. In the towns and cities they don't sleep till late and all wake up late. Those urban lot have brought bhangra and partying into it when really they don't even understand the importance of the changing of the season, especially in terms of farmimg and livelihood.

So basically, this is what we do on Lohri. I go into town and try and get the best deals possible on giant sacks of monkey Nuts. Then, back in the village, the family's follow their children around as they knock on different house's doors asking for gifts of monkey nuts. Kids are excited and happy. Then in the evening, we, as family units, after the traditional Lohri meal of giant portions of Saag and maki di roti, sit around a bonfire (don't forget it is absolutely freezing in Punjab at this time of year) and we all have a nice chat whilst we eat monkey nuts and throw the nut shells into the fire. End of. We then go to sleep (fairly early) as everyone in rural Punjab does....and we wake up early the next day, as always. And thats genuine Lohri for genuine Punjabis. Thats how we do it.

If you like though, you might be inclined to look at what the town and city folk do. The weather means nothng to their livliehood. The seasons mean nothing to them. Going to sleep early means little and waking up early means even less. Haven't got a clue how they celebrate it but I wouldn't be surprised if parties and bhangra have something to do with it. But who cares ? 80% of Punjab's Sikhs are rural and for us Saag and monkey nuts pretty much sum up Lohri.