What Are Amritdhari Couple Aloud To Wear On Their Wedding?

SinghniKaur

your jeevan and ur actions can be a measurement of what you should wear.

One thing for amritdharies ( and could or could not be applicable to punjabies) is that the brides should not wear a saari or lehenga. Just a suit should be worn and it could be expensive or even made with diamonds. It could be any color red or whatever...

Jewellery isnt bad as long as u do not pierce your ears, nose or any body part.

If in your normal life you are fashionable and wear jeans, or other trendy clothes and all of sudden on your wedding day you are surprised about wearing a traditional wedding suit its just b u l l S H * T.

if you are bana wearing bibi then u shud wear a bana.

If u do not want to wear a traditional wedding suit ie. a red colored with golden/silver designing elements on it then u shud simple wear a simple suit like u wear at house but that looks so weird, at least make it look like your special day and wear a bana or one color suit instead of wearing a printed cotton suit which is too weird and i have seen it.

I would say make up is not good. But if it is done within limits just to make your face look finished is not a bad thing. Just like we all apply moisturizing lotion in our normal day life, and whats the big deal making your self look a bit sharper on ur wedding day. Sikhi doesnt not allow any beadabi of roams ( body part) like cutting hair or changing facial hair color by bleaching or make ur face fair things like that. Also a bindi or lipstic shudnt be a part of amritdhari's makeup but u can still finish your lips by applying a very very light color lip finisher just like in our normal day life we apply chapstick which helps keeping our lips moist.

Singhs should wear bana or who do not wear bana can wear sherwani. why sherwani? why do singhs wear an english suit then? Sherwani is more closer to our culture instead of wearing an english suit. If in your normal day life you wear jeans, shirt, cool graphic ts, fancy shoes, spray perfume and your jeevan is modern with sikhi then there shudnt be any issue with all above i mentioned.

However wearing choora is a cultural part as well but its a personal choice and also indian family and relatives are too stupid to understand the reason, so its kind of like what kind of situation u r in. You shud avoid it but if ur family is not much into sikhi just like mine you can wear it if u do not really care.

Me wearing bana on my wedding day will be sick but if i think of my self i do not even keep a high rehit and have a weak jeevan then I am faking it. I would rather go for normal traditional outfit and focus on my rehet and jeevan more in terms of naam bani.

these are purely personal views. Everyone should follow what is most according to gurmat and what they really fit in.

your jeevan and ur actions can be a measurement of what you should wear.

One thing for amritdharies ( and could or could not be applicable to punjabies) is that the brides should not wear a saari or lehenga. Just a suit should be worn and it could be expensive or even made with diamonds. It could be any color red or whatever...

Jewellery isnt bad as long as u do not pierce your ears, nose or any body part.

If in your normal life you are fashionable and wear jeans, or other trendy clothes and all of sudden on your wedding day you are surprised about wearing a traditional wedding suit its just b u l l S H * T.

if you are bana wearing bibi then u shud wear a bana.

If u do not want to wear a traditional wedding suit ie. a red colored with golden/silver designing elements on it then u shud simple wear a simple suit like u wear at house but that looks so weird, at least make it look like your special day and wear a bana or one color suit instead of wearing a printed cotton suit which is too weird and i have seen it.

I would say make up is not good. But if it is done within limits just to make your face look finished is not a bad thing. Just like we all apply moisturizing lotion in our normal day life, and whats the big deal making your self look a bit sharper on ur wedding day. Sikhi doesnt not allow any beadabi of roams ( body part) like cutting hair or changing facial hair color by bleaching or make ur face fair things like that. Also a bindi or lipstic shudnt be a part of amritdhari's makeup but u can still finish your lips by applying a very very light color lip finisher just like in our normal day life we apply chapstick which helps keeping our lips moist.

Singhs should wear bana or who do not wear bana can wear sherwani. why sherwani? why do singhs wear an english suit then? Sherwani is more closer to our culture instead of wearing an english suit. If in your normal day life you wear jeans, shirt, cool graphic ts, fancy shoes, spray perfume and your jeevan is modern with sikhi then there shudnt be any issue with all above i mentioned.

However wearing choora is a cultural part as well but its a personal choice and also indian family and relatives are too stupid to understand the reason, so its kind of like what kind of situation u r in. You shud avoid it but if ur family is not much into sikhi just like mine you can wear it if u do not really care.

Me wearing bana on my wedding day will be sick but if i think of my self i do not even keep a high rehit and have a weak jeevan then I am faking it. I would rather go for normal traditional outfit and focus on my rehet and jeevan more in terms of naam bani.

these are purely personal views. Everyone should follow what is most according to gurmat and what they really fit in.

The wearing of make up and jewellery shows a lack of higher jeevan. It shows a person thinks he/she is incomplete without make up and jewellery. Also it shows they don't understand that the 5 kakkar make you complete. The 5 kakkar are the complete form of Satguru. When they look into the mirror without make up and jewellery all they see is negative aspects about themselves. It's like a person who can't have fun without alcohol in his system. These people want to intoxicate there mind so they add make up and jewellery. But just like an intoxicated person, they can't see Satguru has blessed them with the perfect form. It's society that gives the okay for a woman to pamper herself up. These so called norms have been rooted into punjabi culture and they have no importance in the culture of the Khalsa.

Another problem among the new amritdhari generation is that they still can't let go of manmat practices like having a recpetion where lustful music is played and amritdhari couples that are not married are dancing together. Even the parents of these youth don't see a wrong in it. Again parents are stuck in punjabi culture and can't focus on Gurmat.

• 5 months later...
Guest Tejvir Singh

In History Many Royal Sikh Women Like Rani Jind kaur and Including the Family of Ranjit Singh Sher-e-Panjab and the Sikh Lahore Darbar used to dress up in jewelry, with Gold ornaments, and Diamonds, and also Make up with dresses of Royalty, and also many wore a Kalgi on their Turban, with Shawls, and Shining Rare Shoes, and Gold rings with rubies, they also had earrings in their Ear and etc.

I don't understand we Sikhs are not allowed to Do all this. Can some one answer this for me.

In History Many Royal Sikh Women Like Rani Jind kaur and Including the Family of Ranjit Singh Sher-e-Panjab and the Sikh Lahore Darbar used to dress up in jewelry, with Gold ornaments, and Diamonds, and also Make up with dresses of Royalty, and also many wore a Kalgi on their Turban, with Shawls, and Shining Rare Shoes, and Gold rings with rubies, they also had earrings in their Ear and etc.

I don't understand we Sikhs are not allowed to Do all this. Can some one answer this for me.

Not saying they were bad people or anything, but we should look at rehatvaan, abhiyaasi gursikhs rather than historical figures. You will never find any example of a truly dedicated gursikh wearing any form of jewellery. Jewellery is all about showing off wealth, decorating oneself, in Sikhi our beautification is in the simple baana (be it a gurmat style kurta pajama, chola or whatever) in one of the khalsa colours. Our jewellery is shastars! This is how we keep nyara (distinct) as per Guru Ji's orders.

Please check out: http://www.sikhanswers.com/sikh-articles-of-faith-identity/ladies-earrings-makeup-and-jewellery/ for a more detailed answer.

Guest kshatri_dharam

Wear jewelery that is useful, for example armour and shastar. As to Shingar, you can see Nihang Singhs, Guru Gobind Singh, and Guru Hargobind Sahib as examples to show you what kind of warrior attire to wear.

Thanks.

Not saying they were bad people or anything, but we should look at rehatvaan, abhiyaasi gursikhs rather than historical figures. You will never find any example of a truly dedicated gursikh wearing any form of jewellery. Jewellery is all about showing off wealth, decorating oneself, in Sikhi our beautification is in the simple baana (be it a gurmat style kurta pajama, chola or whatever) in one of the khalsa colours. Our jewellery is shastars! This is how we keep nyara (distinct) as per Guru Ji's orders.

Please check out: http://www.sikhanswers.com/sikh-articles-of-faith-identity/ladies-earrings-makeup-and-jewellery/ for a more detailed answer.

Not nessacarily true. Guru Gobind Singh Ji wore jewelry and made Khalsa in his image.

I remember hearing this story about an Amritdhari decked out in jewels. He went to a counter or something where the man behind it was also Amritdhari. The Sikh behind the course said "why are you wearing all these jewels? Don't you know Guruji said to break our ego". The Amritdhari in jewels replied, "veerji I'm not wearing these jewels for myself or for my ego. I'm wearing them because Guruji made me in his image."

Point is you can wear them, but you have to fully understand why you are and you cannot have any ego

@To ALL

I want to ask from all those who have said that lehnga/jewellery etc should not be worn. I am not saying that its right from Guru shaib point of view. But According to history Guru sahib has also not recommended dress like jeans , suits etc.

So all those Sighnis/Singhs , who have posted not to wear it, Can they confirm that they have never worn any suit/jeans in normal day to day life. If yes then what is difference between wearing lehnga and jeans. Don't only think about in marriage sense only but in general way. As per i think wearing anything except bana /kurta pajama is against sikhi. If we people have acccepted jeans in sikhi then whats wrong with lehnga and other dress unless they are very vulgar.

Even if there were jeans at guru sahib times , i can bet that Guru Shaib would never allow jeans of Singhnis. But we now know that all Singhnis outside india wear those for work places.

If we have accepted then why all people have problem with lehnga /jewellery

I am not saying that Gurskihs are allowed or should or should not wear it But want to ask from those who are saying their opinions

Wear jewelery that is useful, for example armour and shastar. As to Shingar, you can see Nihang Singhs, Guru Gobind Singh, and Guru Hargobind Sahib as examples to show you what kind of warrior attire to wear.

Thanks.

LOL .. sorry But this justr made me laugh .. could see myself and the rest walking up to the gurdwara in full kit... could just see the brides side shell shocked... what the hell they coming to get married or Kill us and do kubja

anyway is it true that the proper way for lavan to be taken is standing up and not sitting down????

Guest HelloMyDearestGod

LMAO- Guru Gobind Singh Ji dressed up in jewels and princley dress- he was not a fanatic like some amritdharis these days- He lived according to God's command as we are asked to throughout Gurbani.

It depends on hukam, if you are seriously about sikhi, you would begin to shut your mind up(through naam) and listen to Gods hukam(command) . If you can't hear it, and have a problem with those who are able to hear it(Hateration as the gangsters call it) and who do things that may seem crazy to others, that's your own problem.

-"Sheikh Farid then asked for a knife, and unhesitatingly pulled out his eyeball and gave it to the woman. She, then gave him some burning wood to take away.".

-Guru Nanak Ji dressed as a muslim going to mecca and asked his disciples to eat a dead body. He showed that it is the heart that matters, no matter what illusion the fools get of the maya image.

"The great Saint Kabir Das was a simple weaver. He was a man of principles and practised what he preached. The Saint was a muslim by birth, but some also believed that he was a brahmin. He had many disciples as well as many who were against him.

One of his devoted disciple was Bir Singh, who was none other than the Kasi king himself.

Whenever Saint Kabir visited Bir Singh, he used to offer him the throne to sit on and he himself sat on the floor, at the saint's feet.

One day Kabir decided to test Bir Singh, if he was really as simple as he behaved.

The Saint walked in the bazaars of Kashi with Ravi Das, the cobbler and a woman disciple who was once a prostitute, singing devotional songs. He carried in his hands, two bottles filled with coloured water, that resembled alcohol.

Some, both Hindus and Muslims who were against Kabir saw this act, created a commotion in the city. People gossiped about the prostitute, the cobbler and the bottles of alcohol. The news also reached The King.

Saint Kabir entered King Bir Singh’s palace in just this kind of manner.

On seeing Saint Kabir, the King’s faith in the Guru wavered. He did not get up from the throne.

Saint Kabir was amused by the kings action and understood that the king thought just as the others did. Immediately he dropped the bottles of coloured liquids with a crash at his feet.

This made the King think,

“How odd, an alcoholic would never spill a drop of alcohol. There must be something else in the bottles!”

He got up from his throne and drew Ravi Das aside and asked,

“Ravi, what is all this about?”

Ravi Das replied, “Oh Maharaj, don’t you know that the Jagannath temple is on fire, and Kabir is putting out the fire with the water in his bottle?”

The Raja noted down the date and the time. He sent a messenger to make the long journey to Jagannath temple to enquire about the fire.

The people near Jagannath temple confirmed about the fire and told,

“Yes, there was a fire and Kabir did indeed put it out.” The Raja’s faith was strengthened again."

Truth heart over Image.

-Guru Gobind Singh Ji came out of a tent during vaisakhi with a bloody sword asking people to come forth- some of his greatest devotees thought he was a madman. What kind of faith and unconditional love is this where one believes the image over the heart of God? They put their mind over their hearts. His heart was pure, but people were fooled by the image.

-God put Bhagat Ravidas Ji into the family of a low caste- so brahmins disrepected him- just because of a false depiction of illusion and being unable to see His heart.

- Guru Gobind Singh Ji disguised himself as a muslim Uch-Ka-Pir

i.e hukam.

If a Sikh has the hukam from God to do something- he should do it. This path is a test of faith- if you want an answer to a question- speak to God and He'll speak back- there is no question about this.

If you have doubts he's answering your question, it shows you haven't surrendered your identity 100%. If you haven't surrendered 100% it means you still have doubts. There's no arguing in this.

If we ask him directly if we should wear a fur cap on our heads, and He says yes, we should do that. If you think it's not Him speaking may just be your mind playing tricks on you, or a ghost or a demon- that's Doubt.

Ask Guru Gobind Singh Ji directly what to do, Gurbani says where the Guru is thought of, he is present. Ask him and listen to his answer.

If you don't listen to him, and don't trust, have faith or believe it's Him talking, that's your own problem- you lack the faith, belief and humility that he's there(Ego). If you want the answers, they're all there in your heart- God is everywhere, is everyone and is everything.

Don't ignore him- Gurbani the Satguru is all around- it's up to us to listen. Do what he tells you to do, don't simply rely on something that may have been tampered with over the years by occultists etc.

Ask him yourself- If you have True faith in Gurbani, you will not doubt it's Him who's answering.

Don't do what the fake sikhs do and ignore Him- when the core of Sikhi is to acknowledge His Truth is everywhere, everything and everyone.