Sonia Deol's Father Jailed For False Translations At Court

BiggChan

"BiggChan, I am slightly confused"

Yes, I gathered that from your first post.

"You say you are from the legal profession also, and work in the same circles as Mr.Sidhu, yet you start a thread stating 'sonia's father jailed for false translations'

This worries me! Surely if you DO hang out at the Magistrates/Crown court you, like me, would have access to the CORRECT information. You would then know that Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury, but NOT of perverting the course of justice"

I did not say I worked in the same circles as Mr. Sidhu. He is a translator. I am not. If you care to meet up, you may even recognise me. I do not 'hang out' at Court, I go there to work. 'Hanging out' at Court as you put it does not necessarily mean you have access to the CORRECT information. I did not go down to Southwark Crown Court to hear about this case but shall I take it that you did? Have you actually read any responses on this thread. I told you that I was going on the basis of the media reports.

"And finally regards discussing your family, I can choose to discuss whatever or whoever I like. That seems to be the general idea here"

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible for you because you don't seem to understand. This is a public forum. It is likely that a large amount of the members are from the Punjabi community. Baldev Sidhu is a Punjabi. He has been convicted of a crime. This was publicised. The sources referred to him being the father of a public figure. A link to the articles was placed by me on to this forum as not only I but many have done in other cases.

Mr Sidhu has been convicted of a crime and is reaping what he sowed. If he is exonerated on appeal, I accept that the News of the World and others were wrong. as it stands, he is GUILTY and is now deemed by any Court and the community at large as a person of bad character.You will have to come to deal with this until his appeal has been heard and maybe in the meantime you can vent your frustration out on the outlets that published the case.

"BiggChan, I am slightly confused"

Yes, I gathered that from your first post.

"You say you are from the legal profession also, and work in the same circles as Mr.Sidhu, yet you start a thread stating 'sonia's father jailed for false translations'

This worries me! Surely if you DO hang out at the Magistrates/Crown court you, like me, would have access to the CORRECT information. You would then know that Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of perjury, but NOT of perverting the course of justice"

I did not say I worked in the same circles as Mr. Sidhu. He is a translator. I am not. If you care to meet up, you may even recognise me. I do not 'hang out' at Court, I go there to work. 'Hanging out' at Court as you put it does not necessarily mean you have access to the CORRECT information. I did not go down to Southwark Crown Court to hear about this case but shall I take it that you did? Have you actually read any responses on this thread. I told you that I was going on the basis of the media reports.

"And finally regards discussing your family, I can choose to discuss whatever or whoever I like. That seems to be the general idea here"

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible for you because you don't seem to understand. This is a public forum. It is likely that a large amount of the members are from the Punjabi community. Baldev Sidhu is a Punjabi. He has been convicted of a crime. This was publicised. The sources referred to him being the father of a public figure. A link to the articles was placed by me on to this forum as not only I but many have done in other cases.

Mr Sidhu has been convicted of a crime and is reaping what he sowed. If he is exonerated on appeal, I accept that the News of the World and others were wrong. as it stands, he is GUILTY and is now deemed by any Court and the community at large as a person of bad character.You will have to come to deal with this until his appeal has been heard and maybe in the meantime you can vent your frustration out on the outlets that published the case.

For someone who 'works' in the Courts, you do surprise me..

"I was going on the basis of the media reports. "

So you believe everything you read do you? Especially when it's in a tabloid newspaper. Ahh yes that's sensible.

'This is a public forum.'

all the more reason to get your facts CORRECT when starting a message thread.

"I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible for you because you don't seem to understand"

No, once again, please allow me. For the upteenth time, please show me WHERE it says Mr.Sidhu was jailed for falsely translating anything. Cut and paste and source it.

I'll save you the time, but a part of me is amused at you having a look for this from a reputable source.

News of the World said previous trial had stopped because of what was alleged. they do NOT say Mr.Sidhu was found guilty of falsifying any translation. That's because they can't cos it isn't true!

So discuss all you want, I just think people should discuss armed with the facts.. but then again I am on a forum where some people think Bhindranwale is still alive so the chances of me being successful in making my point are slim.

Good day.

This is not an issue of me believing anything. I have just provided a link to what has been reported.

Here is another link I just found, in which it is stated that the jury failed to reach a verdict on he charge of perverting the course of justice and that he was found guilty of perjury for lying under oath. As the Judge rightly points out, perjury is a serious offence. Therefore the jury were unable to decide in respect of the perverting charge but unanimously found Mr. Sidhu guilty of perjury. Maybe mods can change the title to 'Sonia Deols Father Jailed For Perjury - Jury Unable To Reach Decision On Perverting Course Of Justice'. Regardless, the vastly experienced and well respected Mr. Sidhu ghoman01 speaks of sits in his cell as a convicted criminal until and if an appeal occurs and is sucessful.

http://www.london24.com/textonly/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsIlford&tBrand=textonly&tCategory=london24&itemid=WeED18%20Jan%202010%2015%3A03%3A09%3A680

Tory 'consumed by ambition' jailed for corruption

A corrupt Conservative councillor who demanded £10,000 in bribes was jailed alongside a crooked court interpreter today (Mon).

Suresh Kumar, 44, of Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, was secretly taped soliciting the cash during a meeting with two property developers, claiming it would help him influence the committee in their favour.

Punjabi-speaking expert witness Baldev Sidhu, 62, later lied on oath at Kumar's first trial before it subsequently emerged he had booked air tickets through the politician's travel agency.

Former councillor Kumar, who was elected to Redbridge Council in 2003, had demanded £10,000 from a property developer who needed planning permission for the development of a block of flats in Green Lane, Goodmayes in November 2004.

He later told local Tories they could expect a large payment to top up party coffers.

But unknown to him, the businessman and his partner had contacted the News of the World to blow the whistle and the councillor was subsequently caught on tape in an undercover sting.

Kumar's first trial collapsed in April 2008 when it emerged that Sidhu, who had been asked to provide transcripts of the taped conversations, had lied in the witness box about the extent of his contacts with the defendant.

It later transpired the interpreter had booked tickets to India through Kumar's travel agency.

Following a two month retrial at Southwark Crown Court, Kumar was unanimously found guilty of a single count of corruption.

He was cleared of a second count, while jurors were unable to reach a decision on a third.

Sidhu was found guilty of perjury for lying under oath, again unanimously.

The jury was unable to reach a verdict against the two men on a further charge of perverting the course of justice.

Following the verdicts, Judge Andrew Goymer jailed Kumar, who he described as "consumed by ambition", for 12 months and Sidhu for eight months.

The judge said: "Both the offences of which they have been convicted are serious offences, and they are serious because the real victim of these offences is the public at large in the case of corruption and the administration of justice in the case of perjury.

"Corruption has a corrosive effect on public confidence in public institutions such as local government councils, and what I have to say has nothing to do with any recent publicity in respect of political figures, none of which has led to any charges, let alone convictions.

"Suresh Kumar was not a minor official working for a council seeking some small advantage to line his own pockets.

"He was a councillor in my view well aware of the responsibility he owed to the public to act honestly and with integrity.

"There is always public concern that the planning process, which effects the whole community, should be honest, and it should survive and proper scrutiny.

"If councillors seek corrupt payments for supporting applications for planning permission, that confidence is eroded.

"I bear in mind that on one view, the money was not going into the pocket of the defendant [as it was to have been a contribution to the local Tory party].

"Having seen and heard him in the witness box, I am satisfied that he was an ambitious man, who was consumed by his own ambition.

"He no doubt hoped that he would improve his standing within the party by saying he had secured a large donation.'

Turning to Sidhu, he said he believed he had been motivated by "loyalty" to Kumar.

Kumar denied three counts of corruption alleging he 'did corruptly solicit for himself a fee or reward for assisting in the processing of a planning application' between November 11 and December 12, 2004.

He and Sidhu also denied conspiring "together, to do a series of acts, namely altering the transcripts of taped conversations with intent to pervert the course of justice" on or before April 14, last year and deny doing acts intending to pervert the course of justice.

Sidhu, of Portland Road, Birmingham, also denied perjury by saying he was on the National Register of Interpreters and for lying about a report he had written for the case and about a witness statement he had made for the case.

And before anyone says, well she was the presenter, she should have done x or y, I think people need to understand the constraints within which anyone works.

I don't think she was forced to make this documentary? I doubt if someone is going to take on a project of this sensitivity without some prior knowledge and research. I agree that jobs have constraints but professional integrity is quite important too , especially in journalism. If you don't call a spade a spade then you are not only cheating your self but your audience too.

And before anyone says, well she was the presenter, she should have done x or y, I think people need to understand the constraints within which anyone works.

I don't think she was forced to make this documentary? I doubt if someone is going to take on a project of this sensitivity without some prior knowledge and research. I agree that jobs have constraints but professional integrity is quite important too , especially in journalism. If you don't call a spade a spade then you are not only cheating your self but your audience too.

I think what she presented was superb. Whilst there are areas I wish the programme had tackled, I appreciate the programme makers had one hour and decided on an emotive angle. I loved the fact that Sonia as a mainstream figure was 'big' enough to show us her 'sikh' side by seeing her in the temple etc. I also know that she is very highly respected amongst her peers at the temples she goes to. I have heard Mr.Mandla and others on the Soho Road committee regularly commend her, as they did after this programme. If the vast population had been upset then I'm sure there would have been more than 50 odd complaints out of 1.5 million people watching.

Big Chann I think your suggestion about changing the thread title is a good one. Lets see if anyone has the guts to do it..;-)

As for Mr.S sitting in his cell, he wouldn't be the first miscarriage of justice, so let's wait and see shall we. A man with a perfect record over a lifetime does not decide he's going to lie all of a sudden. I was pleased to hear such high praise for him amongst my colleagues today. Glad to see some people have the tenacity to know that even the law can get it wrong sometimes, and also that one little dot does not maketh the man.

If the vast population had been upset then I'm sure there would have been more than 50 odd complaints out of 1.5 million people watching.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

What's your source for this info? The show was terrible.

BiggChan, PM me or any of the mods with the new title.

Guru Rakha.

In the documentary (sorry I mean personal journey), she did refer to her father as her 'rock' so it would only be natural to assume she wanted to protect herself and her father from obvious references people would make about his bad character possibly having influenced her upbringing. Therefore it is quite possible that she deleted the page to tactically deflect attention off herself and her father.

Shame on people who call themselves Sikh and are gossiping about this story here on this site.

For starters you are the biggest joke on this site. Watch your Sonia Deol's documentary on 1984 and you'll find out what gossip is.

Firstly I am sure there are more important things to discuss in our culture and religion than this case. Secondly, if you believe everything you read you, especially from a tabloid newspaper, you must need your brain checking.

Some one needs to take his own advise.

Sonia's father is an incredibly well respected man in our community. He has been both selfless and tireless in helping others which is why so many of us are shocked at what has happened. For those who are not clear about the facts, it is very simple. Sonia's father, Baldev Sidhu was CLEARED of perverting the course of justice. That means he was NOT GUILTY of faking any translations.

All of this doesn't mean a thing, and you should know this since you work in the field of criminal justice. Yes he's well respected by your community. This community exist of Sonia Deol, who sold her soul for a job and in the process spat on Sikhs with her documentary. Blamed a Saint for sticking up for Sikhs and Hindus. And as much as Sonia Deol wants to call herself a Sikh, we know her dad is just like her or it's the other way around the Sonia is like her Dad. The kids to get majority if not all of their morals and values from their parents. And look what Sonia did.

And cleared of perverting only means the evidence to convict him for his crime was unattainble due to cover ups. He's a smart criminal and there are alot of them out their like BBC who legally destroy a religions name in the eyes of others and make a mass murder seem as the hero. Here is a fun fact for you. The cops 99.9% of the time know a person has committed a crime, only thing keeping that person from service a jail sentence is evidence, which cops cannot get a hold of. This means the evidence is their, but do to some issues cops can't present or get hold of it. Does that make the person not guilty, no it makes him a smart criminal. Beating the legal system does not mean he's innocent.

It was the prosecution and the News of The World reporter Mazher Mahmood who were trying to SUGGEST that Mr.Sidhu had helped and faked the translations of these secret recordings, but the judge and jury CLEARED MR.SIDHU OF THIS CHARGE!! Now use your head, do you think the News of The World will print this?? and make themselves look daft??? THINK!

Now use your head and tell us if BBC(Sonia Deol) would tell the true story of 1984. Take your decieving ways somewhere else, they don't work here.

I cannot believe some of the things I have read on this thread. It breaks my heart and shames me to know that it's people from our own community that can be so cruel and insensitive.

Calling True Sikhs as terrorist and murders is being cruel and insensitive. Making money off of it and trying to suck the blood of innocent Sikhs is just being a monster. Sonia Deol did just that.

For what it is worth, I want to say here that if Mr.Sidhu's family is reading this, we are with you and our prayers are with you during this difficult time. We wish you luck in your appeal and believe justice will be done. You are a rock for our parents and so many in the community. And we do not care what has happened here. For us your REPUTATION FOR BEING AN HONEST HARD WORKING MAN FOR OVER 40 YEARS IS WHAT WE ARE JUDGING YOU BY AND FOR US YOU HAVE ALL THE INTEGRITY, DIGNITY AND GRACE ANYONE COULD WISH FOR. STAND TALL AND BE PROUD AND LET GOD BE THE BIGGEST JUDGE OF ALL, AFTER ALL THIS LIFE IS VERY SHORT AND IT IS HIS COURT WHICH WILL REALLY COUNT AT THE END OF THE DAY. AND ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD WHO HAVE SAID THINGS TO HURT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, WELL LET GOD JUDGE HOW THEY SHOULD BE DEALT WITH TOO. AND HE WILL. I HAVE NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT.

Get the voilins out guys, this guy is about to shed a tear for criminals. Matter of fact make a bond fire and sit in a circle and we can share stories on how truthful this person and Sonia Deol is. Make sure their is alot of fire wood, we got alot to talk about.

WE ARE TAUGHT AS GOOD SIKHS NOT TO GOSSIP.. NINDA... AND THIS IS WHAT WE CHOOSE TO DO ON A FORUM NAMES 'VOICE OF THE SIKH SANGAT'.... RAB THO DARO.

Weren't you scared of God when you were writing your post. If you were then this nonsense would not have come out of your mouth and on this site.

Again no one is falling for your decieving ways. You don't even know what a good Sikh is. When these words come into your mind the image of Sonia Deol pops up in your head. Go tell your fairy tales somewhere else. Maybe, smal chance someone would believe.

Looks like mr. ghoman is okay with perjury. It is normal for him as an everyday habit. I cannot imagine how many scum of criminals are roaming free shaping course of law. Mr. Sidhu wont feel like he is among strangers in his cell. The murderer in next might remind him of his friend and well-wisher Ghoman, both would share same streak only in different ranges. A crime is a crime, big or small. Loathesome pervert$.

And trouble is these are the kind of people who have sold their souls for cheap buck and run around basking in their naked glory of criminalistaion of the System and represent our community. No wonder people turn against a whole community becoz criminals like mr. Sidhu and Mr. Ghoman represent the community. If Mr. Sidhu was such an honest man he wouldnt be in jail in the first place.

And this ghoman guy is actuall promoting perjury and then whines about 'miscarriage of justice'. lol

And Big Chann dont change the title of the thead. Mr Sidhu was not found 'Not Guilty' for false translations. He isnt cleared of the charge and that is 'other side of the story'. Dont be biased to change the title to accomodate just 'one side of the story' and that too of shameless supportes of a criminal who is in jail.

oh for the love of god!!

now we're just going around in circles!

some people loved the programme. others didn't.

can't please everyone. there's been split opinion on bhindranwala for a whole generation. some gurdwaras don't even allow his pictures to be put up. do not be blinded into believing everyone thinks the same. but you are entitled to your VIEW and others are entitled to THEIRS.

programme has encouraged more debate into events and faith than I have seen for a LONG time.

that in my eyes is only a good thing.

because people have started to look into it themselves.

people who would never have been interested before.

as for sonia's father, I stand by what I said earlier. there is nothing but high praise for him and his lifelong reputation of selfless dedication to his community. you may not agree. that's your call. I have had access to many details that are not in the press, due to the nature of my work in the legal profession, but feel the family privacy needs to be respected during what is a very difficult time. Mr.Sidhu was simply doing his job and there were factors beyond his control to do with his own medical state that made him make silly errors on the day he gave evidence for which he was found guilty of perjury. The judge and the jury cleared him of the second charge of perverting the course of justice which included the charge of faking any translations. IF that had been a guilty verdict then it would have been clear that Mr.Sidhu had deliberately tried to mislead the court. But he was not found guilty of

I am not going to sit here and judge someone for being found guilty of perjury ( which is lying under oath) when I know firstly people lie everyday. Secondly when I know he is a good man with a selfless attitude who has been the victim of horrible circumstances, and I have seen details which make it quite clear that he will win his case on appeal.

Let's try and stop attacking people personally, who do not choose to be in the media spotlight. There are bigger cases in the news everyday. Yet those are not discussed. we are only talking about this because of who's dad it is. And I think that is not very fair.

It surely cannot be any easy time for the family right now. Right or wrong. It's just insensitive so let's please try and be a little more grown up and not make it worse for people like his wife who I remember hearing was recovering from cancer.

We should not be so quick to attack ... no one knows what's going to happen to you or someone close to you in the future. And there is such a thing as tempting fate.