Who Are You Voting For? Uk Gen Elections 6Th May

humgareeb

...and we definitely deserve better than this (Sharma's track record or lack thereof)!

By Gurcharan Singh, Conservative on Apr 20, 10 07:02 PM labour-still-isnt-working-thumb-160x237.jpgI believe that the individual lucky enough to represent you should take the role seriousley. They should have a track record of delivery as well as a surefire desire to make it their business to address the things that matter to you the most. Things like healthcare, like crime, like the state of your local ammenities, education, business and so on. I have already stated that if elected I will make it my business to make your priorities my priorities.

Unfortunately, the incumbent MP, Mr Sharma, though given the opportunity to represent you for nearly 3 years hasn't really done much. We tried to find out what he's been up to all this time and this is what we found (no spin, just facts):

• Cllr Sharma MP has cost Ealing Council tax payers well over £20,000 since he became an MP in July 2007 but has by far, the worst attendance record of any councillor in the Borough. In 2008/09 he attended just 7 meetings -only a third of the meetings he was actually due to attend. To add insult one of the meetings he attended for only 5 minutes -just enough to be saved from disqualification.
  • Sharma made no representation to Health Care for London against the closure of the Stroke Unit at Ealing hospital nor organised any petition against the closure of the same.

According to www.theyworkforyou.com Sharma:

• has spoken in 13 debates in the last year -- below average amongst MPs.
  • never voted on a transparent Parliament.
  • voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
  • voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
  • voted moderately against laws to stop climate change.

Sharma's hypocrisy/ double speak

Sharma supported detention without charge for up to 42 days despite giving impression to the contrary.

In an interview with an Indian news-paper, Sharma advocated war with Pakistan (see www.ajitjalandhar.com 14th December 2008).

Sharma protested at the closure of a Norwood Green post office, but in Parliament not only voted for its closure but for the closure of eight more.

Mr. Sharma supported Gurkhas right to British citizenship while in the council but voted against the similar resolution in the Parliament only a week later.

Where have the Labour Councillors been? Have you seen them or heard them taking up Southall issues? Of course, we see their posters everywhere. We see them scrambling to hold on to power. Do they deserve it?

THEY BELIEVE THAT THEY HAVE SAFE SEATS FOR LIFE AND DO NOT NEED TO WORK FOR YOUR REPRESENTATION. ARE YOU PREPARED TO ACCEPT THIS?

We hope not...

Gurcharan

Voting Labour or Lib Dems is the most sensible decision.

Dont vote a party just because some singhs in it... If anyone does their own independent research they will find that the biggest mistake would be to vote Tories back in

:)

As said by the first poster.... Brown is the only one who seems to have substance behind what he is saying......

The flyer shown above which was distributed by local labour lot on behalf of sharma. If you read point 2 of the propaganda leaflet it attacks Councillor Gurcharan Singh for being pleased with the asssination of Indra Gandhi. yeh....MR sharma <banned word filter activated> should look and ask around the Southall he represents with a bit more attention.....Most Sikhs in southall did/do support the assassination of Indra Gandhi.

Does the <banned word filter activated> use this as a means of attack on gurcharan singh yet not even know about the view of the people he supposedly represents? MP of southall?? LOL this man does not deserve the postition or title. Hes so out of touch with people's views and beliefs hes not fit for office.

AND what day was this leaflet posted to houses of soutall residents?? On the exact day anniversary of the Sarbat khalsa decleration of Khalistan in 1986 from the site of Akaal Takht. I do not think this was just a mere coincidence. I raised this same issue with local sikhs on the day the leaflet was distributed.

How can such a man be the MP of southall. Southall is Majority sikh by far. Predominantly Sikhs, yet we are represented by this man who holds such views.

Verindra Sharma needs to be ousted from Office.

And Southall sikhs have to make it their duty to make sure it happens. your vote counts.

Southall has been represented by these Bickering anti-khalistani Labour pro congress representatives for too long.

Now is time for change. First Pyara Kabra was endorsed and put in by India and now verindra sharma the ex president of indian overseas confress. so you all tell me whats the difference?

Every man/politician India put in and endorse is elected in southall as our MP representative.

Vote Gurcharan Singh. If not, at least make sure u do not vote Sharma.

I agree that we shouldn't just vote for somebody because they have the middle-name Singh. We should vote them in based on:

• how well they will represent the Sikh community in local and national affairs
  • how well they will represent ALL communities in the same
  • whether or not they will actively fight for their constituents
  • how strong their policies are.

Now here's the thing, Gurcharan Singh is strong on ALL of the above.

The problem we have in Southall is that of the old school mindset where people vote for who their uncles,aunties, etc. have traditionally voted for. This has led to the Labour party taking the vote for granted. They now seem to think that they can just turn up on the day and they'll be voted in. Sad thing is, they are right! Take the previous MP Khabra as an example. In his 11 years he raised only 11 questions at Prime Minster's Question Time - that's 1 question for every year! He was allowed to get away with it and nobody took him to task at all! He was never held to account for his inaction and Sharma is the same. He has nothing to show for the past 3 years which is why:

• rather than fight his campaign based on policy, he choses to smear Gurcharan Singh,
  • rather than turn up to debate Singh in person, he runs scared.

Is this really what we want? I'd like to think we deserve better.

I for one, am now convinced that Gurcharan Singh is our man. Here is someone with a track record for delivery. Just compare their political CVs and you'll know what I mean. Singh has done much more for Southall as a councillor than Sharma has as an MP.

From a Sikhi perspective, Sharma is definitely not our man and my PERSONAL view is that as a Sikh, there is no way I could vote for Sharma against Singh and I think it's a huge shame that any of our brothers/sisters would. It's akin to the sort of inner betrayal that we had after the death of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and after Independance. All based on in-fighting and jealousy. At the same time, I've got nothing against anyone of our panth who doesn't think that way. There are may honourable Hindus and many dishonourable Sikhs. However, that is not the case here.

Regarding Gurcharan Singh's credentials as a "true" Sikh. I know he's not amritdhari but I also know that he never claimed to be one (and neither did Manjit Singh as was claimed in an earlier post). Nonetheless, this man is a true sevadar for the Sikh cause. He even campaigned in Paris for our right to wear the dastar. Now that is a fact.

Sharma on the other hand, has criticised Gurdwaras for offering langar to student immigrants in India:

http://southalllad.b...outhall-mp.html

Sharma has also got his campain team geared up to smear Gurcharan - one of the claims is that he is a pro-Khalistani and that he held lofty celebrations when Indira (bandari) Ghandi was assassinated. Of course, there is evidence to the contrary. See the following clips from 1984. Singh comes across as a true statesman who understands the plights of Sikhs - he makes no apologies for the demonstrations yet he also doesn't overdo it either:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NoKLVedoJLQ

- this the Sharma camps failed attempt to smear him

I really hope we make the right decision come May 6th.

VGJKKVGJKF

Southall Lad

Southall lad you talk sense my friend Gurcharan deserves to win unlike Sharma who gave out laddie after bluestar and has dine nothing as mp ,shame on those so called Sikhs supporting besharam sharma like southall lad said it's betrayal like after ranjit Singh when the cunning Hindu dogras took over Koi sharam karo sikho