Sat Ari Akal from Newbie!

ram_simar

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Dear sangat jee,

This is my first time posting here. Koi galti hove tae maaf karnaa. I am actually a Punjabi Hindu with great respect for the Gurus. My parents and relatives regularly visit Gurudwaras. Infact, at home we have pictures of Guru Nanak jee and Guru Gobind Singh jee along with other gods.

I was surfing through the topics on this forum and had a few questions. I'll ask only one for starters.

Is the "Kanga" meant only for cleanliness purpose or is it because GGSJ wanted the sikhs to remember their uncut "kesh" and hence their mission. I mean that combing every day would be like stoking the fire, so that the spirit (fire) of fight against injustice does not die down. Can you please calrify.

I like the passionate and lively sangat here.. Keep up the good work!

Sat Sri Akal

SmartSingh24,

Thanks for welcoming me. That is all the "proper" introduction I have. Not big into intorductions. But will post in the intro thread..

The reason that I say the fire stuff is because of a few precedents in history. There have been kings who have vowed to keep hair uncut and untied untill they complete some mission etc. One popular example is from Mahabharat where Draupdi vows to keep her hair untrimmed and untied until she washes it with the blood of Duryodhana who tried to disrespect her in an open court.

Had tons of chabeel yesterday :-) still reeling.

Sat Sri Akal

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

welcome to the forums...

one reason is to keep the cleanlinessof the kesh.... there many reasons for wearing a kanga but the biggest one is

I keep it because he ordered me 

bhul chuuk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

it is also a part of being tyaar bar tyaar or always ready. when a sikh is always ready, he can go anywhere and do anything. this is why there is a tradition amongst some sikhs to wear two kasheras. they can go anywhere and do anything, they are free to move around and are ready for battle because they have weapons, they can get dressed, they have a comb, etc.