Advice Needed

guptkuri

Advice Needed

Trying to be a good Sikh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Today I am left in bind and I really don’t know what decision to take, so for that reason I have come to my brothers and sisters on Sikhsangat to advise me. I promise to do as Sangat tells me and not question their decision or advice. I am going to tell Sangat a little background information, the problem and why I am unable to take a decision for myself.

As some of you may know I like to write and I try to write about Sikhi as much as I can. I work with a few different websites and my own blog to put these write ups online because the feedback is great encouragement to keep writing and learning about Sikhi. I always try to monitor where my articles are put up so that no misunderstandings are created about what I write. My biggest fear is writing something wrong about Sikhi by mistake or someone misunderstanding Sikhi because of me. So I try to keep an eye out if someone takes my article without permission so at very least I can make sure the discussions underneath the article don’t head the wrong way. I am not picky about people asking for my permission because I think of it as Seva and it is free for anyone to read or forward to someone else to read.

That’s where the problem sets in; people are taking articles without my permission and posting on websites I am not so sure about. I don’t know how many of you are aware of Sikhchic.com but in recent times they have started posting few of my articles. I am a bit uncomfortable about the fact they are promoting Professor Darshan Singh. I am also a bit unsure about the comic strip they carry called Sikh Park. I feel I should not be connected with any website that openly promotes Professor Darshan Singh. The problem is I don’t copyright my articles or stop anyone from reading or sharing, it’s a seva afterall. So do I let them keep taking my articles even though I don’t agree with the website or do I try to contact them and tell them I don’t want any of my articles on their page as long as they promote Professor Darshan Singh?

I can’t make this decision myself because I am torn between what to do. A part of me says it’s will of Waheguru Ji, I didn’t put it up on this website and I should let it stay. Another part of me says I don’t want to be connected with anything that promotes anti-sikh people. I work hard to write my articles in a way that Sikhi should receive utmost respect. Is it disrespect letting my work stay on a website that promotes people that don’t respect all aspects of Sikhi? Or is it disrespect that I am changing the will of Waheguru Ji or withholding seva from some people? I just don’t know what to do.

I request everyone to please advise me and guide me on this issue.

Bhenji,

There are 2 things I can suggest.

1. don't worry about where it gets posted as long as its not getting used in a negative way. Gurbani lines are being used everywhere. Guru Sahib has not stopped anyone from using Gurbani. So why should you?

But you should be watchful if people try to twist what you are trying to say and misuse in the ways you didn't intend to.

2. If you don't have time to or don't want to be monitoring whats happending to your articles then at the end of the article you put some newly made up email address for just this purpose so that people can take your permission to use your articles.

my 2 cents. Make a decision after you hear other sangat members' suggestions.

WJKK WJKF

You ask "Is it disrespect letting my work stay on a website that promotes people that don’t respect all aspects of Sikhi?"

Bhen jeeo you can never please all the people all the time-- imppossible- universal law-- Sikhi is so high indeed , those that disrepect have come and gone and will continue to do so, and so will the people who respect it. However we all know the truth is like a sword and tests everyone and everything on this planet no matter how high or low they are in their belief. My opinion , continue on with your seva with chardi kala and maharajs kirpa.

You ask "Or is it disrespect that I am changing the will of Waheguru Ji or withholding seva from some people? I just don’t know what to do."

You or anyone have no power to change whaeguru's will, -- reiterate and search for deeper meanings of those pauris in JapJi - "aakhann jooor chupaa naa joor".

If still confused do ardass take Hukham from SGGS after at least an hour or so of naam simran- -your heart should give you the route to take.

my 2 cents

It does not matter on which site your articles are posted as long as the content is not altered. In my opinion, it is a good thing that your articles (Gurmat oriented) are being posted on such sites you probably would not even visit. Even if you disagree with sikhchic, your articles being posted there means something good is being propagated there. As far as you are concerned your purpose of writing is being accomplished. Again, as long as the text is not altered you should not worry. You have the right to ask them to remove your articles if you wish but I don’t think it is necessary because after all, the message is getting to them. Even if someone misinterprets what you write or disagrees with your writings, you should not bother. For example, I once wrote a 10 page article on Sikh Rehat Maryada to counter Muslim fanatics but one person copied only first section of the article on a website and started discussing it. I did not bother to argue with them to clarify or tell them that they did not have the entire article. Another person copied one of my articles, made it part of his article and gave no credits. Since the content was not changed I did not bother. My purpose was to write something good about Sikhi not to argue with others on the topic. Unless someone engages in vichaar, I am not up for explaining anything. This is my approach. If someone criticizes me in a rebuttal I try to counter that in writing. I do not and suggest you also do not waste any time by going to websites and try to argue. Those who wish to clarify and want to know more will contact you. Always put your name on the article and link to your blog or your contact info at the end of the article so everyone knows where and how to find you and where such articles are posted originally. Gurbani says there is a cure for everything except for a foolish person so don’t waste time in arguing with them or explaining yourself.

Study Gurbani to know the meaning of Waheguru’s Will or Hukam. Guru Rakha

Thank you! I will do as Sangat has adviced.

1. I will keep writing and allowing anyone to read and reproduce my work as long as its not tempered.

2. I will not get involved in any debates in the comment section, I will focus on my writing and being a good sikh.

3. I have created a new email address to add to the bottom of my articles, so people can email me about my writing if needed.

If I missed out on anything or there is something else I should be doing, please let me know.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Anyone's knowledge will be growing throughout their life, so whatever they write at one time will be different, more knowledgeable and mature at future times. You are not perfect now, and you will not be perfect in the future.

As far as other sites go, do your best to keep sites that have material offense to you or that misquote you from gaining access to your text. But sometimes you have only so much control. However, to look at it in a much different way, sometimes a little jaggery in a bowl of poison could be the medicine Waheguru is looking for to put a worthwhile idea in the minds of readers that might otherwise not be getting access to something sound and which would be pointing them in the right direction, so maybe it's a good thing your material gets mixed up into those sites after all. They say God works in mysterious ways wonders to perform!

Advice Needed

Trying to be a good Sikh

Today I am left in bind and I really don't know what decision to take, so for that reason I have come to my brothers and sisters on Sikhsangat to advise me. I promise to do as Sangat tells me and not question their decision or advice. I am going to tell Sangat a little background information, the problem and why I am unable to take a decision for myself.

As some of you may know I like to write and I try to write about Sikhi as much as I can. I work with a few different websites and my own blog to put these write ups online because the feedback is great encouragement to keep writing and learning about Sikhi. I always try to monitor where my articles are put up so that no misunderstandings are created about what I write. My biggest fear is writing something wrong about Sikhi by mistake or someone misunderstanding Sikhi because of me. So I try to keep an eye out if someone takes my article without permission so at very least I can make sure the discussions underneath the article don't head the wrong way. I am not picky about people asking for my permission because I think of it as Seva and it is free for anyone to read or forward to someone else to read.

That's where the problem sets in; people are taking articles without my permission and posting on websites I am not so sure about. I don't know how many of you are aware of Sikhchic.com but in recent times they have started posting few of my articles. I am a bit uncomfortable about the fact they are promoting Professor Darshan Singh. I am also a bit unsure about the comic strip they carry called Sikh Park. I feel I should not be connected with any website that openly promotes Professor Darshan Singh. The problem is I don't copyright my articles or stop anyone from reading or sharing, it's a seva afterall. So do I let them keep taking my articles even though I don't agree with the website or do I try to contact them and tell them I don't want any of my articles on their page as long as they promote Professor Darshan Singh?

I can't make this decision myself because I am torn between what to do. A part of me says it's will of Waheguru Ji, I didn't put it up on this website and I should let it stay. Another part of me says I don't want to be connected with anything that promotes anti-sikh people. I work hard to write my articles in a way that Sikhi should receive utmost respect. Is it disrespect letting my work stay on a website that promotes people that don't respect all aspects of Sikhi? Or is it disrespect that I am changing the will of Waheguru Ji or withholding seva from some people? I just don't know what to do.

I request everyone to please advise me and guide me on this issue.

If you don't agree with what they're putting up on their website then you should keep your morals and values in tact and stop them posting your work, or it would be a tiny little bit like me allowing rss hindus post my sikh writings on their website.

But only you can decide, if you feel in your heart that its wrong to allow them to put your stuff up then ask them not to.