Was Killing Sikhism?

Bir_Rass

So you start an anti-caste topic by.. announcing your own caste? What an oxymoron.

lol@oxymoron

Maybe we need a generation to die out and then a fresh start to proceed without caste in the west?

haha..the whole caste system thing we as young adults in teh west can try to stop it but our paretns will never learn..

yesterday my dad made my brother work in the garden and my brother oculdnt seem to do it , my dads words to him "jattan da munda hoke kethi nehi kar sakda, hor ki kam karlena tun"

we may be able to take it out of our minds but others wont.

haha..the whole caste system thing we as young adults in teh west can try to stop it but our paretns will never learn..

yesterday my dad made my brother work in the garden and my brother oculdnt seem to do it , my dads words to him "jattan da munda hoke kethi nehi kar sakda, hor ki kam karlena tun"

One day we will be the 'older generation'.............

When that inevitably happens, what we encourage/pass on to the youngsters beneath us - will and can make a world of difference.

Yeah, when I went to Punjab I was told to only associate with 'Jatt Sikhs' by a relative. It's quite embarrassing really, nothing good comes from caste association.

You can't be a caste Sikh, you can only be a Sikh. This should go even further into all the sects. Instead of Nihung Sikhs or Taksali Sikhs, we should all just acknowledge ourselves as Sikhs. If someone wants to follow a particular lifestyle with a specific maryada, that's great...

Alternate scenario....a family who's entire ancestors have been in the medical profession, ie doctors, their son doesn't know what a stethoscope is...doctora da munda hoke ehna vi nahi patta tainu?....sometimes jatt can simply mean farmer....but apparently you cannot use it in a sentence bcoz its only promoting caste LOL

it depends on how you define jatt...do you define it as a caste intended to create division and a hierachy in sikhi or is jatt refering to the scythian people who migrated to and settled in northern india over 2000 years ago...an example of this is the zulus of south africa...just imagine if the zulus embraced sikhi...does that mean they have to forget their heritage and past history.....is sikhi inteded to destroy tribes or to unite them and spread peace and tolerance amongst the world....caste is definately wrong...but are tribal affiliations wrong? is not defining oneself as punjabi tribal??

here is an example of the migration of the indo scythian (jatts)

http://www.jatland.com/home/File:Ancestral_Scythian_migration_of_Jat_people.gif

jatts are not a caste they are a tribe...the tribes theselves are not bad...but rather the hierachy whcih has been estabalished in sikh society is....the jatts have put themselves at the top of this hierachal order....the jatt is not the problem...rather his/her attitude about other peole and this sense of superiority they have created is definately wrong..and that is what should be opposed...we belong to different backgrounds and ethnic groups...but we are all equal within the sikh panth...no one is superior or inferior

All of a sudden I realized why my parents always would get so mad at me the day my grades were out during school days. Maybe because I would fail or get really bad grades, and they are Brahmins, so they expected me to be smart as well. unsure.gif

But fortunately, I never got the "bahmana da putt hokay fail ho giya?" garbage. I was scolded because I didn't work hard, not because the "caste" I was born into is meant to be smart/intellectual.