Patka To Turban

S1ngh

From this topic, i started thinking about the failed transformation of sikh youth that we have in our kaum.. There is a huge number of our youth who choose to shun their kesh during the time when they were supposed to wear a turban.

I think if we did some research or had some type of statistical figures on the subject of "How hard it is for sikh youth going thru transformation from patka to turban", we will probably be shocked to see the results.. watching the current trends, we can say that 8 out of 10 will probably say that the do not want this transformation at all or they will tell you hard it is for them to tie a proper turban and thus chose to keep wearing patka until they get the hair cut.. There are many things involved, including social peer pressure and going through that age group of 15-18, we all know how hard it is for all youth who try to fit in the society.

I think all kids should wear turban from the start.. (maybe small size but it is very must to do).. What you guys think about it..?

Guest SarabjeetSingh

I must be a fool then !

For I am wearing turban since I was 16 and started going to college . Maybe I will have to shun kes and turban also . I am getting too much negative remarks these days .

Frankly , no one cares about religion now a days

I must be a fool then ! For I am wearing turban since I was 16 and started going to college . Maybe I will have to shun kes and turban also . I am getting too much negative remarks these days. Frankly , no one cares about religion now a days

There is nothing to be foolish by following the footsteps of our guru sahib ji. Sikhi is very plain and simple dharam. Veerji, What you do or what you will do is your own personal decision and nobody will stop you. Nobody here or in your social life can force you to change your mind. It is you who have to make decision; not us. If you feel happy by not following sikhi then that is your karam. If you feel hurt but still sticking with sikhi then it shows your strong will. Whatever the outcomes are; they will either show your strong will or weakness. Human is not made of tough iron or a robot which is perfect; there are imperfections but it is upto us whether to correct our imperfections or continue to live our materialistic life to please few manmat ppl in our society. If you are looking for pity then my friend, we can't help you.

There are few who do not care about religion but there are many who are willing to choose death over kesh katal.

I am not just talking but I walked the talk long time ago.. It was hard for me to transform from patka to daastar but i did it with strong will.. I owe it to sikh soldiers; whom i felt proud of and decided to keep turban thru my high school years... I was the only Sikh and east indian student in high school ever graduated and probably only turban wearing sikh teen ever lived in the rural city of 9000 in deep south.

Sticking to the topic.. We should discourage patka wearing trend.. few years ago, i saw a new trend of many ppl wearing this weird patka type cap in and around delhi..

Guest SarabjeetSingh

There is nothing to be foolish by following the footsteps of our guru sahib ji. Sikhi is very plain and simple dharam. Veerji, What you do or what you will do is your own personal decision and nobody will stop you. Nobody here or in your social life can force you to change your mind. It is you who have to make decision; not us. If you feel happy by not following sikhi then that is your karam. If you feel hurt but still sticking with sikhi then it shows your strong will. Whatever the outcomes are; they will either show your strong will or weakness. Human is not made of tough iron or a robot which is perfect; there are imperfections but it is upto us whether to correct our imperfections or continue to live our materialistic life to please few manmat ppl in our society. If you are looking for pity then my friend, we can't help you.

There are few who do not care about religion but there are many who are willing to choose death over kesh katal.

I am not just talking but I walked the talk long time ago.. It was hard for me to transform from patka to daastar but i did it with strong will.. I owe it to sikh soldiers; whom i felt proud of and decided to keep turban thru my high school years... I was the only Sikh and east indian student in high school ever graduated and probably only turban wearing sikh teen ever lived in the rural city of 9000 in deep south.

Sticking to the topic.. We should discourage patka wearing trend.. few years ago, i saw a new trend of many ppl wearing this weird patka type cap in and around delhi..

I stay in Mumbai . I saw a sikh man grown-up and still wearing a patka at his job place . whereas I was wearing a turban . just shows majority of people just don't care about religion , atleast Sikhi .

and you really think all those turban wearing guys out there care for their sikhi saroop or sikhism . If you think so , you are mistaken . Many of sardars and new generation (in India ) just wear the turban to show that they are sardars and thus somehow superior to others .

I have an atheist friend , yet he externally keeps uncut kes , beard and wears turban . Its surprising that he says he believes in Guru Nanak as his guru , yet accepts atheism and continues to wear turban . 99% of Sikh men don't even know what is importance of turban in sikhi . Don't say its just to cover your hair knot . They justify usage of caps for that .

patka trend began earlier in the 20th century, where parents started to imitate some sports heroes over their Gurus. you are right that it would be a lot easier for kids to just wear a dastaar from an early age. I also feel it's easier to tie a simple dastaar rather than a patka.

I feel the reason that this transition from patka to dastaar is difficult is b/c the turban represents responsibility and adulthood *to these children*. As children, their parents usually teach them nothing about sikhi. OR if they teach the teachings, they don't live them. Without the necessary spiritual backbone of simran/seva to hold up bana, kids fear the pressure of wearing a turban. they worry that they will have to do paath and wake up early etc. the lazy parents don't raise the kids in this culture from the beginning.

The other reason, besides fear of the unknown or fear of making effort, can be social difficulties, but these are overcome through simran/seva/sangat. When I first began keeping my kes and wearing a dastaar it was extremely difficult for me. I had no Sikh or punjabi friends, only goray cheenay, and was living alone at university. I noticed that over time it became easier b/c I took my nitnem seriously. I felt power/will/"the ability to be independant" came to me from my nitnem. It is this simran/seva as well as regular sangat at the gurdwara that builds up the necessary spiritual backbone to enable a person to live in society with their kesh and dastaar.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be a fool then !

For I am wearing turban since I was 16 and started going to college . Maybe I will have to shun kes and turban also . I am getting too much negative remarks these days .

Frankly , no one cares about religion now a days

I stay in Mumbai . I saw a sikh man grown-up and still wearing a patka at his job place . whereas I was wearing a turban . just shows majority of people just don't care about religion , atleast Sikhi .

and you really think all those turban wearing guys out there care for their sikhi saroop or sikhism . If you think so , you are mistaken . Many of sardars and new generation (in India ) just wear the turban to show that they are sardars and thus somehow superior to others .

I have an atheist friend , yet he externally keeps uncut kes , beard and wears turban . Its surprising that he says he believes in Guru Nanak as his guru , yet accepts atheism and continues to wear turban . 99% of Sikh men don't even know what is importance of turban in sikhi . Don't say its just to cover your hair knot . They justify usage of caps for that .

your first reply makes no sense at all. We all here are like you who transformed from patka to turban which is really good but what u r saying is just about you and we here are talking about them who are not like us.

you are not understanding the point raised by the original poster. He ain't just talking about turban guys but its about sikhi swaroop. We all are aware of non sikh turban guys but what we are talking about here is how youth can loose sikhi at the stage of patka to turban transformation. in simple words most of boys choose to cut hair after the beard starts growing because patka do not go well with beard. So instead of trying turban they cut their hair and shave their face. This is the most common thing happening everywhere and we all know it. We definitely need to find solution for this problem so that we can encourage youth toward sikhi saroop and wearing turban.

Personally the transition was very hard and long over-due simply because there was no turban wearing members in the family so it was a case of harrassing the local gyani every week to learn how to tie one! Youtube vids didnt help! finanlly made my break through where a dastaar although sliding to oneside would stay on my head for the duration of one day by the time i was 21...

and yerh its a responsibilty thing... everyone knows, once you are wearing a dastaar it reps sikhi! thats a BIG responsibilty...! most patka wearing youth still drink/ eat meat etc... so for them to wear a dastaar is simply a no no!

Personally the transition was very hard and long over-due simply because there was no turban wearing members in the family so it was a case of harrassing the local gyani every week to learn how to tie one! Youtube vids didnt help! finanlly made my break through where a dastaar although sliding to oneside would stay on my head for the duration of one day by the time i was 21...

and yerh its a responsibilty thing... everyone knows, once you are wearing a dastaar it reps sikhi! thats a BIG responsibilty...! most patka wearing youth still drink/ eat meat etc... so for them to wear a dastaar is simply a no no!

What wrong with a normal sikh drinking and eating meat .He is not an amritdhaari.My cousin consumes tobacco,smokes and has cut his kesh .I dont know if his parents aware of this

BTW, I found my title amusing .Is this title meant for a newbie.I like it.