Facial Hair Removal : Jagir Kaur Continues To Stir Controversy

Guest G.Kaur

If that is the case that A Sikh is someone who follows ALL the commands of Guru Sahib then, the Amritdhari that doesn't wake up at Amritvela is just as bad as her. I personally dont care about this women and the fact that she killed her own daughter is probably my main reason.

What we need to understand that men will never understand the struggle that a women faces when it comes to facial hair, not just the fact that a woman with facial hair is considered abnormal in society but im sure even amongst those men that preach about women should keep hair and ridicule them if they don't is hypocrisy, i doubt anyone of them would want to marry a women with facial hair.

If that is the case that A Sikh is someone who follows ALL the commands of Guru Sahib then, the Amritdhari that doesn't wake up at Amritvela is just as bad as her. I personally dont care about this women and the fact that she killed her own daughter is probably my main reason.

What we need to understand that men will never understand the struggle that a women faces when it comes to facial hair, not just the fact that a woman with facial hair is considered abnormal in society but im sure even amongst those men that preach about women should keep hair and ridicule them if they don't is hypocrisy, i doubt anyone of them would want to marry a women with facial hair.

Good points, and may I add that there are Singhs out there who do understand the struggle a Bibi has to face. In fact, at one point in the past I had read about certain Singhs who had decided to marry Bibis with facial hair. So yes, there are still such Singhs out there.

my thoughts on this may not be valued but i feel jagir kaur should not have got rid of the tache. I mean she's like a middle aged women who had a position of authority in the community. I don't understand why she did it as its not like no one would have noticed.

Obviously all who take amrit should adhere to the rehit. But for some if it makes sense, it is easier to not be affected by mainstream culture. Jagir Kaur lived in Sikh majority society all her life, middle aged women who's amritdhari so no one really is going to make her feel uncomfortable about the tache. I mean she's married and had kids.

But compare her to a young women / late teenager in UK or anywhere in west. In a society obsessed with looks it would be SO hard for a girl to have the high personal esteem and confidence in oneself if she had a lot of facial hair. I can imagine the difficulties involved. The remarks or thoughts would be the same amongst people of all denominations and sexes. She would feel like an outsider. Lets be honest in western society actually even eastern women with facial hair are not the norm.

Basically guys who have partners will know. Women are naturally hairy like all humans i.e. man. Less so than men but still not like you see in the media. Asian especailly Punjabi women are fair and have black hair so it shows up more so. It is very normal for women to have sideburns, upper lip hair and thick eyebrows (obvoiusly all have hairy legs and arm pits). But apart from amritdhari women most try to not show those hairs. Either by removing or using jolen etc.

Im not amritdhari, actually im the complete opposite - mona ex- smoker never had interest in religion up until a couple years ago - but am in baby steps going towards my guru, but sorry to sound like a hypocrite but honestly i have no ill will to women with visable facial hair, but this sounds so nasty sisters please forgive me but its HONEST, maybe when im an old man but at the moment if my missus didn't wax and thread i'd not find her attractive (BTW she is not born sikh). SORRY if that makes me sound so wrong but it is true. I mean lads on here who are amritdhari would you prefer too marry or even want to marry a female with a moustache and large side burns, mono brow or even a few on the chin? HONEST answers only. Also if you are married in this situation, did you prefer not too or were you happy with it, or did you not have a choice in saying no?

Look im not trying to put our sisters down im just being honest from my point off view. Please don't give me a lesson on Sikhi. I know cutting / removing hair is wrong.

But i'm just asking a question and want honest replies.

T his might be going slightly off topic but it is justifiably related so im just asking for HONEST opinions.

@ gurdssingh - You make some very honest points, and whilst they may not be to everyone's liking, they are representative of the reality facing people today.

But I always return to the central issue that if one is serious about Sikhi (and adhering to its tenets 100%), then societal pressures, Western perceptions, etc., are all secondary. I know how very easy it is to say this - and I'm not stating I'm perfect - but a true Sikh (which I am not at the moment, but DO hope to be eventually) would say that if our ancestors gave their heads for Sikhi, a few stray hairs here and there are not that important in the long-run. But again, as I said previously its much more difficult to adhere to certain practices when the world is always judging you for one thing or another.

Geo, *

look at maryada and then maybe you will understand no removing or dying kesh anywhere on your body. What is the point of taking amrit if your gonna do stuff like this.

People like you are the problem, and thats why bibiya do stuff like this as they feel men judge them too much for having kesh. If guys were more supportive it may not be such a problem. Also if people didnt take amrit for a joke.

Whatever guru ji says we must accept not question and then think upon it and then maybe accept it.

Also to add we have far to much to worry about in the panth, than how a bibi looks with or without kesh. Maharaj blessed us with kesh so get over it and lets make a jeevan for ourselves.