Sikhnet Promotes Homosexuality

guruvah

I don't agree with homosexuality or endorse it. But I sometimes wonder whether a person is born that way or develops these feelings due to life circumstances? It must be a struggle for a person who considers him/herself a Sikh to enjoin a genuine devotion for their faith, with the unquestionable guidelines established by the Akal Takhat.

Don't hate me or label me a pendu or anything like that, but could homosexuality be a symptom of kaljug?

Not that I bother about Sikhnet or their videos, but it doesn't seem anywhere that he "promotes" homosexuality, he just adopts a neutral stand. As far as Rehit Maryada is concerned, Sri Akal Takht Sahib has forbidden any such alliances.

Mehtab veer,in the link, below the video there is a discussion...where Guru Jot Singh who is one of the Sikhnet admins openly says disturbing things. Please,read it yourself. Then you will understand why I used the word "promotes" .

why is homosexuality a bad thing? people dont choose to be homosexual, who wants to be picked on and looked down upon by their peers?

i think this is just arrogant

Don't hate me or label me a pendu or anything like that, but could homosexuality be a symptom of kaljug?

no... theres been homosexuality forever, the earliest record of it in China is 600 BCE, there are even records of homosexual artifacts and artwork dating back from 10th millennium BC at the end of the Paleolithic age.

im not in anyway a homosexual but still, think about what a gay person might say and think about sikhi if they came and read this thread

why is homosexuality a bad thing? people dont choose to be homosexual, who wants to be picked on and looked down upon by their peers?

no... theres been homosexuality forever, the earliest record of it in China is 600 BCE, there are even records of homosexual artifacts and artwork dating back from 10th millennium BC at the end of the Paleolithic age.

im not in anyway a homosexual but still, think about what a gay person might say and think about sikhi if they came and read this thread

Like I said, I wasn't having a go. I'm trying to understand it myself. I'm not one of those people who thinks it can be "cured" either. It's like saying "Let's cure a heterosexual so he / she doesn't find members of the opposite sex appealing". It isn't going to happen.

As for homosexuality throughout the ages, even one of the most popular movies of recent times (300) makes reference to the ancient Greek's as 'boy lovers', an activity which was actually considered a rite of passage in those times for a youth to...well, you know.

I'm curious as to who approached the subject and highlighted it so that the Akaal Takhat had to present a sandesh to the quom.

I agree, can anyone please state in gurbani or reference our gurujis stating it is wrong.

Christianity and Islam do but I thought Sikhi had NO view upon it until the sandesh from Sri Akal Takht Sahib a few years ago (in the last 5 - 10 years), (i think something to to do with a case in delhi about same sex marriage or something else,cant remember).

The thing with Panjabi culture which most Sikhs belong to (myself included), is that traditionally these things have been swept under the carpet and it almost appears as if an unspoken pact is made throughout our society to ignore homosexuality in the community. Personally I think it has existed in man for a long, long time (like others have already intimated), it's just some conservative societies (like ours) turn a blind eye to it and I imagine the majority of poofs ended up being married and having kids due to arranged marriages. Some probably acted on their instincts on the sly in some double life scenario? Other conservative societies (like Islam) have official rules regarding homosexuals from their religious scriptures, so the societal stance is explicitly laid out for them plainly. Other societies (like Christians) have them but largely ignore them in practice (the bible calls for the execution of homosexuals).

Bottom line is that we've had it quite easy up until now, where we've just had to pretend it doesn't really exist. This means we haven't had to deal with the issue in an official capacity. But in an increasingly globalised and open world, we simply can't do this any more. The cat is out of the bag. Like it or not. The Akal Takhat has given it's verdict and that is that. The west will no doubt consider and portray this as more backwardness and non-progressiveness on part of our people, but at least we aren't calling for their mass slaughter like some others!

The other thing I wanted to say is that we should note how people seem to bring in some of their preSikh cultural baggage along with them when they become Sikhs. Every one is guilty and we can see this in our own society with people still holding on their jaat paat mindsets in the quom. I think a similar thing is taking place with white westerners, who seem to be bringing along their own liberal cultural attitudes towards homosexuality with them when they become Sikh?

I think if we were a dominant faith, it would probably be happening.

I'm not too sure of that.

I'm sure you'll get a vocal section of the community who would be rabidly foaming at the mouth in red hot fury (they seem to have a predilection for that whole thing if you ask me). But generally, we seem like live and let live people? Unless buggery came to be perceived as a big threat to us, then, you'd probably have a witch hunt, yes.

I'm not saying we would be as open and accepting of homos as western societies appears to be, but I don't think we'd go completely down the sullah route either?

But this is all hypothetical. Unless we become a majority, we can never tell for sure. That being said, homos don't seem to be openly harassed in Panjab? Maybe that's because most of them are pretending to be straight? lol