Granthis Dragged By Their Kes

Pyara

http://timesofindia....how/7828790.cms

Sikhs protest assault on priests

TNN | Mar 30, 2011, 10.54pm IST SAMBALPUR: People of the Sikh community and presidents of all gurudwaras on Wednesday protested against the assault on two granthis on Tuesday. Two granthis (priest) Gurpreet Singh and Sukjeet Singh were assaulted when they protested against the reckless driving by some youths.

The incident took place in Dhanupalli police station area here when the duo were going on a motorcycle. Two youths on a bike overtook them at an alarming speed.

They attacked both Gurpreet and Sukjeet when they protested such reckless driving. Few others joined them and dragged both the granthis by their hair and beards.

"We have registered our anguish with the district administration. We met both the Collector and SP and urged them to take immediate steps to book the culprits involved in the incident as it involves our religious sentiments," president of the Sikh Dharam Prachar Prabandhak committee Dalbir Singh said. "The incident was an unfortunate. We have already booked the two bikers involved in the incident and trying to identify the others," SP (Sambalpur) Asheet Panigrahi said.

Did non-Sikhs drag the Granthi's? Not that it makes a difference but I'm just asking.

Sambalpur is in Orissa state (Dhanupalli area is within Sambalpur). There are not many Sikhs in Orissa.

In states where Sikhs are not in large number, they stand with each other. So it is very unlikely that the granthis traveling on a road would have been assaulted by Sikhs.

Recently, there have been several incidents of Sikh transporters being harassed or assaulted in other states of India then police arresting the Sikhs drivers instead of the attackers, and after that police demanding money from them. In the last few days two/three incidents happened in Himachal.

Mahan Singh, I know of a few incidents in Himachal in the last years, but not last few days. Could you link them please for awareness amongst Sangat. Thanks.

I have not seen these incidents (ones in Himachal) reported in the main English media newspapers, but these were reported in Punjabi vernacular newspapers. I cannot recall which ones, though.

However, I just came across of those being mentioned on Akali Dal (Amritsar) website . It is mentioned in the article by Iqbal Singh Tiwana ( media advisor for political affairs of S.A.D – Amritsar) at the following link. The article is in Punjabi ( in DRChatrikweb font) and it was posted only yesterday . It is the last article on that page and the second paragraph in that article.

https://akalidalamritsar.sslpowered.com/akalidalamritsar.net/Home%20News%20Web%20Pages/2011/Marc2011/press%20note%20thr%2031%20mar.htm

Sadh Sangat Ji especially in India Gursikhs should wear shasters and learn shaster vidhya to protect themselves - whats the use of wearing the 5 K's and then to shy away into the background - Singho in 1984 what was the use in trying to talk to those murderers when they came for our commnunity - next time physically protect yourself.

Remember when a maniac dog goes mad you have to kill it first as it will no doubt given the chance attack to kill you.

I thought prior to joining this website that being shashtar-dhari was an antiquated albeit romantic notion, designed to instill a bit of pride into us Sikhs.

I thought "How can being shashtar-dhari really help us in this day and age?". The events of the past few days (and those events which most probably have always occured but I was unaware of) are pointing me towards a direction I thought I would never take.

Maybe we do have to learn how to protect ourselves - and learn properly. I'm referring to martial arts too - not just weapons. We need clean diets to make us strong, as well as agile brains, and vast knowledge about engaging the enemy.

Don't worry - I'm not going overboard but I reckon I, personally, need to sort myself out.