French Burka Ban: Police Arrest Two Veiled Women

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8442622/French-burka-ban-police-arrest-two-veiled-women.html

French burka ban: police arrest two veiled women

French police arrested two veiled women this morning just hours after the country's new ban on wearing the burka in public came into force.

burka_1869287c.jpgPolice received a guide last week to help implement the ban Photo: ALAMYBy Peter Allen, in Paris 11:03AM BST 11 Apr 2011The women were arrested along with several other people protesting in front of Notre Dame cathedral in Paris against the new law.

Jourrnalists at the scene said the arrests came after police moved in to break up the protest which had not been authorised.

On Saturday police arrested 59 people, including 19 veiled women, who turned up for a banned protest in Paris against the draconian new law, the first of its kind to be enforced in Europe.

Earlier, French police said they will be enforcing the country’s new burka ban "extremely cautiously" because of fears of provoking violence.

They fear Muslims extremists will use the law to provoke fights with officers, while rich visitors from countries like Saudi Arabia will also cause trouble .

All garments which cover the face were officially banned from first thing this morning, with offenders facing fines of 150 euros (£133).

But police admitted that they feared being accused of discrimination against Muslims, whether approaching women in tinderbox housing projects or on the Champs Elysee.

"The law will be very difficult to apply on certain estates," said Patrice Ribeiro, of the Synergie police union.

Referring to two Paris suburbs where riots regularly break out because of alleged discrimination against Muslims, Mr Ribeiro said: "I can’t see police going to book dozens of veiled women doing their shopping in Venissieux or in Trappes.

"It will be the same when a police officer is about to arrest a veiled Saudi who is about to go into Louis Vuitton on the Champs Elysees. In all cases, the forces of order will have to be measured and cautious in their behaviour."

Synergie has already instructed its members to view the ban as a "low priority", and Mr Ribeiro said there would "inevitably be incidents".

Mohamed Douhane, another Paris police officer and Synergie member, said he and his colleagues also "expected provocation by a minority."

Mr Douhane added: "Fundamentalist movements are eager to raise the stakes. The police know they will be held responsible for any public order disturbances."

Police have already been warned not to arrest women "in or around" mosques, and "citizen’s de-veilings" are also banned.

The strict instructions, from Interior Minister Claude Guent, are contained in a nine page circular issued to officers.

With tensions running high within the country’s six million strong Muslim community, officers have been told to look out for members of the public taking the law into their own hands.

Instead they will have to call the police, who will in turn have four hours to consider whether an offender should be fined.

This will apply to all garments which cover the eyes, although scarfs, hats, and sunglasses are excluded.

As well as a mosque, Muslims will also be able to put on a veil in the privacy of their own homes, a hotel room, or even a car, as long as they are not driving.

Police have already complained that they will have to waste time on "burka-chasing", with Denis Jacob, of the Alliance police union, adding: "We have more important matters to be dealing with."

The ban means France is officially the second country in Europe, after Belgium, to introduce a full ban on a garment which immigration minister Eric Besson has called a "walking coffin".

While French women face the fines and ‘civic duty’ guidance if they break the law, men who force their wives or daughters to wear burkas will face up to a year in prison, and fines of up to 25,000 pounds.

Posters have already gone up in town halls across France reading: "The Republic lives with its face uncovered."

Belgium introduced a full ban last year, although it has not been enforced with any vigour. A ban also looks likely in Holland, Spain and Switzerland.

There are no plans to introduce a similar ban in Britain, although politicians from the UK Independence Party and some Tory backbenchers have suggested one.

This is probably going to have the effect of making even more practicing Muslims feel that Islam is being targeted by Europeans.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see some attempted terrorist attacks in France in future.

How the state can enforce such a rule without appearing heavy handed and unduly prescriptive is beyond me. Expect the usual suspects within the western media to get hysterical about it and many column inches to be dedicated to the matter. We can expect lumpen sections of the white population to rally around such moves, firing shots not only at Muslims but 'exotic' immigrant practices in general. We'll probably get some dimwitted apnay also voicing support for such a ban.

If the burqa is seen as some barrier to social cohesion, what will come of enforcing this ban isn't exactly going to help in this area either.

Gender inequality can never lead to social cohesion so the niqab stands out as a special circumstance when it comes to 'religious' attire. Whether the niqab is or is not part of the religion of Islam is irrelevant. As Sikhs, we should at least agree upon France recognizing the niqab as complete gender inquality, and thus going against not only France's social views, but Sikh's view as well. If the muslims feels so strongly about this, let them handle it, and not only that, they should have their men veiled as well if they believe in hiding one's face so strongly, put it across the board so that ALL have to do it, see how they take to that adjustment.

As Sikhs, we should at least agree upon France recognizing the niqab as complete gender inquality, and thus going against not only France's social views, but Sikh's view as well.

Why? These are the same people who stop Sikh boys wearing paghs in state schools.

If the muslims feels so strongly about this, let them handle it, and not only that, they should have their men veiled as well if they believe in hiding one's face so strongly, put it across the board so that ALL have to do it, see how they take to that adjustment.

Once we start dictating how others should behave (when it doesn't effect us), how can we object to others curtailing Sikh practices?

Sure, this is interesting to observe and comment upon, but it probably is wise to just leave them (French and Muslims) to it. For the record, I see sullis with the veil thing everyday. It doesn't bother me.

We'll probably get some dimwitted apnay also voicing support for such a ban.

Well, there were a lot of people with Sikh names texting into the BBC Asian Network's discussion programme, congratulating the French government on their tough stance.

I thought it was pretty ironic considering the next religious group that "stands out" from mainstream society are Sikhs. Will these same voices applaud the French government when the kirpan or turban is next?

BTW, I'm not a Muslim sympathiser or any of that nonsense. Lord knows some followers of that faith have meted out unimaginable horrors on our people over the centuries. If I was a vindictive person I'd say it was about time Muslims knew the meaning of being oppressed, and having religious freedoms curtailed although this ban is not even a drop in the ocean compared to the barbarism they displayed in their empire-building years. But thankfully I'm not that guy and two wrongs don't make a right.

We, as Sikhs, just need to be a bit careful in this situation as a lot of Muslims are moving towards the argument of "If Muslims are considered a threat for covering their faces, Sikhs need to have their "knives" (not my words but the words of a Muslim on the radio) and turbans banned too".

I support the ban. It's not a case of whether one feels threatened or uncomfortable with some veiled women walking around. The fact of the matter is that they wear the burka because they see all men as potential rapists! They believe that if a man sees their face or part of their face that man will not have any self control and attempt to rape them! This is the primitive notion that they have brought to the west.

I support the ban. It's not a case of whether one feels threatened or uncomfortable with some veiled women walking around. The fact of the matter is that they wear the burka because they see all men as potential rapists! They believe that if a man sees their face or part of their face that man will not have any self control and attempt to rape them! This is the primitive notion that they have brought to the west.

I don't really care. Funny thing is, I've also heard whites talk about wearing dastaars and kirpans as being backwards and archaic too.

I'm no fan of Islam but getting embroiled in concerns about other people's practices like this can't be healthy. Especially as our own society isn't exactly short of it's own problems that need urgent addressing.

Maybe people like you have you priorities skewed?