Women'S Dastar...

Guest suto

In this video,

The first thing that she does, is it okay to do that?

It may seem like a silly question... but it's not prohibited or looked down upon to do something like that, is it?

its not a silly question

no offence to the sister in the video, but that is not a gurmat dastar. a gurmat dastar should not be folded, knotted or twisted. all styles of dastar employ the same tying method regardless of if you are a singh or singhni

the following link is the correct way to tie a gol dastar,the only wrong thing is that the penji did not put a knot through her joora, only coiled it. the joora should always be knotted:

Gol dastaar: http://www.mrsikhnet.com/turbantying/flash/Gol%20Dastar.html

women's triangle dastar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XyL8yB9Mwg

how to tie a dumalla:

The way the penji in the opening post decides to do the twisting things makes the dastar not look like a dastar (sorry to say.)

Not been rude but kind of reminded me of the way the somalian women tie there material (sorry can't remeber the name of what they tie)

But the 2 videos posted by Singhshah seem the right way :) there are more videos on YouTube that are also easier to follow :)

Guest Dark Singhni

The whole point is that she is saying we can accessorise our dastar as in fashion. Wearing a dastar is not fashion but rehit. It's not a paap but it's ruining the whole sikh image and the meaning behind sikhi. A true khalsa wouldn't be bothered to accessorise their dastar because it’s so silly and it’s pointless. If Sikhs start doing this now, what will people do next, wear pink bows on their dastar. Sometimes it’s best to keep things simple and “how we are used to seeing things” which is our religion; how guru sahib created us and wants us to be. Also how would she stand out in a crowd of non-sikhs, her dastar won’t be seen as her devotion to Vaheguru but merely as a fashion accessory. I remember when I was in secondary school; my R.E. teacher said in our class “there’s one person in this room wearing something that represents their devotion and commitment to God”. Everyone was a little confused as there were many muslim girls in our class wearing their religious scarf. As no one guessed who it is, she pointed out to me and said my dastar represents my commitment to God! If I had accessorised my dastar people wouldn’t have much respect for Sikhs. People respect us because they can see our devotion to God because we are keeping the image that Guru Sahib gave and not making our own. The main quality of sikh is to live in society and be dead to it, that’s the whole point of being distinct which is what Guru Sahib wants us to be. Maybe its better for sikhs to live outside of society so that they do not weaken and get influenced but maintain their dignity and devotion.

Guru Sahib wants us to be a warrior and a saint, wheres does this fashion come into it?

If someone goes against my post, it won't change my opinion because its gurmat and truth.

Guest guest

So all your clothes and turbans you own have no fashion element to them?....they are all plain and the same style are they?

I guess you own nothing that is green, pink or brown in color?....you own nothing that has a pattern to it?

Maybe a case of "pot calling the kettle black"?

Your clothes are meaningless but your dastar has a sikhi meaning behind it. :rolleyes2: For example if you wear bana are you going to change the colour to a non-khalsa colour i.e. green and change the style? No! because it wouldn't be bana anymore. Bana just as a dastar is different from your own clothes you wear. It's given by Guru Sahib and thats how its meant to be. Guru Sahib has already given us "fashion elements" for our dastar which are shastars as the shastars represent Vaheguru.