Amrit Vela

Guest Moorakh

Guest Moorakh

Really really struggling to get up for Amrit Vela.

Has anyone gt any tips?

Tried a lot of things but wen it comes to actually getting up it just doesn't happen. Because my Amrit Vela is slack I feel my paat is rushed, my concentration isn't even there.

When it's amrit vela time I will turn off the alarm fully aware of what I'm doin, I will put it on snooze and tell my self I'll get up a bit later. I go to sleep fairly early.

Sometimes I don't feel like doin naam abhyaas with gursikhs because I think well I don't even it do it on a every say basis so this is jus pakgans bt then I tell my self I shud do simran wi gursikhs because this will b a starting point. Bt still no luck. I dont manage to get up on my own after being with sangat.

Pls help, I'm on my last straw.

Get a friend to phone you to wake you up, keep a bowl of water by your bed and splash your eyes/face when your alarm rings. Don'y use a very heavy/ warm blanket either.

Main thing - do ardas everynight before you sleep, askin g for the gift of waking up at Amritvela, and the strength to get out of bed too!

Guest Moorakh

Thank you. Will try the not eating for a day as I didn't get up.

Tried the phoning thing before doesn't wrk. If the no eating for a day fails will try the water thing.

I finding it really hard. Maybe because I didn't have a routine before being blessed with Amrit. When I received Amrit everything was good regarding AmritVela, etc. I can't explain it, it was like I could feel the aura of gursikhs 24/7.

But now I can't say the same. I don't feel that anymore. Instead I'm getting attacked by all the 5 vices, some more than others. I get angry over little things and get ma'am thoughts that I din hink I could.

I dnt know how to make it go away. Does it get better?

Iv done ardaas a few times, it goes away for a bit bt then it all starts again bt worse.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.

Guest Guest

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Some tips that will help

1. Got to bed early(8 or 9pm) so that you get sufficient sleep before getting up at Amrit Vela.

2. Late night tv and browsing net is strictly no-no.

3. Set an alarm and put the clock far away from bed side. If you have a connection to Live Gurbani tv or radio then just set the wake-up timer on the electronic device.

4. Go join a Sikhi camp, couple of days or a week of discipline will help in forming the habit.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

The one that really works, and I think it has been mentioned, is to place the alarm clock far away from the bed.

Put it in a drawer or cupboard at the back. If you can lock the drawer then lock it and put the key in another drawer.

When the alarm goes you physically have to get out of bed to turn it off, or have to find the key to uplock the drawer and then turn it off. Then head straight for the door and into the bathroom.

Guest Guest

I gt a question. Sorry didn't see point in starting new topic as my ques is minor and related to amrit vela.

Is it compulsory to have a cold isnaan for amrit vela. I wasn't told this during my Amrit Sanchar. What are the benefits of taking a cold isnaan? Say u got two amrithdarees who keep a solid amrit vela and the rest of their reheat, what's the diff between the two if one takes warm shower n the other cold?

The single best thing you can do to help you wake up at amritvela is to go to bed early. Everyone needs different amounts of sleep, some people can do with 5, some need 8. It's easy to find out what your body needs (at least for now), go to bed early without setting an alarm and see how long you sleep before waking up. Of course this will depend on other factors such as how tired your were, and quality of sleep etc. But I find that to be a good way to determine the typical time your body needs to rest.

Guest gupt

One of the main and important things is also to eat minimal for dinner and make sure you eat your dinner at least 3/4 hours before you sleep, there is no need to stop eating for a whole day like said above as that might just make you weaker and the rest of the things said above are really useful.

Have a thin blanket, one that keeps you warm enough to get to sleep and cold enough to make you actually want to get out of bed because no one ever wants to get out of a thick blanket and being to warm and cosy make u want to put the alarm on snooze.

And it might also help if you go and turn the tap on as soon as the alarm goes off so that you know that the water is running and need to go turn it off and make sure you keep your towel and everything ready the night before as sometimes the effort of getting things makes you lazy and want to sleep more.

Guest gupt

Eat absolute MINIMAL for dinner and make sure you eat dinner atleast 3/4 hours before you go sleep

Sleep early

Definately do ardas before you go sleep

Use a thin blanket as a thick one makes you want to sleep longer and put the alarm on snooze

Keep the alarm far away or if you have a pile of clothes, stick it in there so that you have to find the alarm which might make u more aware and awake.

Keep your towel and everything ready as usually looking for your towel and kashera and everything makes u lazy/tired and think of laying down for a few more minutes which turns into a long time.

Turn the tap on as soon as the alarm goes off so that you know that you have to get in the bath.

Or you could keep all you stuff ready in the bathroom and put an alarm which is loud enough in there.

Set many alarms and put them in different places and make sure they are set a min or 2 mins apart making you get up again and again so you actually stay up

Put an alarm next to the sink and splash cold water on your face to make u more alert.

And everything else mentioned above

Hope this helped