Why Are Amritdharis Encouraging Me To Trim/Shave My Armpits?

Guest confusedaswat

Guest confusedaswat

hello all. I am a Keshdhari Sikh, 20 years old. I have an INSANE (lol) amount of arm pit hair. I was in India, and I decided to wear a sleeveless shirt. All of the babas who were Amritdhari told me to shave or trim my arm pit hair as they thought it was kind of off putting..

I haven't told my parents about this, as they are Amritdhari and I know they would probably get mad at the people who told me to do this. Why would Amritdharis suggest this.... is it not against our religion to cut any hairs?

Note I really have no desire to get rid of my arm pit hair, just made me wonder if a Keshdhari Sikh who isn't Amrtidhari is commiting a paap by trimming his arm pit hair.

Guest Guest

Personally don't like women who wear sleeveless shirts.

Only LOOSE females wear such clothes.

And what kind of Amritdhari parents allow such a public display of skin.

I can understand that you are 20 and seeking attention but this sort of behaviour will attract all the wrong sort of people.

Trust me you don't want that.

Women should dress modestly especially those who Truly follow Sikhism.

Guest confusedaswat

Personally don't like women who wear sleeveless shirts.

Only LOOSE females wear such clothes.

And what kind of Amritdhari parents allow such a public display of skin.

I can understand that you are 20 and seeking attention but this sort of behaviour will attract all the wrong sort of people.

Trust me you don't want that.

Women should dress modestly especially those who Truly follow Sikhism.

I am a guy lol

Hmm. I remember just when summer started after my freshman year (9th grade in high school) my goray friends and one indian friend went swimming at a friends house (at this time my hair was cut) and one of my goray friends put his arms in the air to catch a ball and my friend pointed and laughed at him. He had half of his arm-pit shaved and got made fun of quite a bit for it, his logic was that he just started to get armpit hair and it looked weird but decided not to shave it because then it would look too girly. He made the mistake on one side and did the same thing on the other side just to make it even. lol

Anyways, it doesn't matter if you have armpit hair, i think it's manly if anything. You should talk to the amritdhari fellows who advised this and tell them they need to reevaluate why they took amrit.

Guest EkJyot

Whats wrong with a bibi having her armpits on display? Just bcos society enforces it as the norm for males and abnormal for females? I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Its our perception thats messed up.