Mom And Family Won'T Let Me Amrit Chak

Guest gupt singh

Guest gupt singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am 21 years old guy here in canada. My mom is born in canada and she does not know that much about sikhi. She thinks its old fashioned and too indian, and would rather prefer to party and drink then go to the gurdwara, my dad is in india and now divorced so hes not in the picture. I however grew up with my grandparents mostly and I am in love with sikhi and the guru. I spend countless hours at the gurdwara, doing paath and listening to paath. I would like to take amrit soon, as I am already starting to follow rehat while not being amritdhari.

Please provide any suggestions or help how to approach my mom regarding this, because I don't want to have to leave my mom and family to become amritdhari. My other option is to move on my own, and continue the gursikh lifestyle, but I am not sure if I wanna leave my mom.

Please help.

s

The will not leave you as you mentioned they think amrit is old fashion and too indian but not that they think taking amrit is bad and they are saying so because of the culture people society around her being modern may be one of thing.

So they will not appose is as they are doing now once they now you have already made your mind. There may be a chance of this son mother bond which you should respect as well.

If she thinks that you will not be social anymore leave the interest in family affairs then its your responsibility in order to make sure that your spiritual part of life will not affect your social part of life and that to through your actions.

As you have already started keeping rehat continue it you can also wear punj kakar and see how it goes. Patience and ardas will solve every thing and you family will support your decision once they are sure that their son is still here.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Taking Khandey da Amrit and following Rehat is never easy.

If your family is unsupportive that will make the transition even more difficult.

Eventually you will have to choose between both (your family or Gursikh Jeevan).

I will suggest that you move to some other city for higher studies.

Don't think your mom or family will have a problem with that !

Then take Amrit.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

VJKK VJKF

Gupt Singh jee, you dont need to leave your mother, neither would I encourage you to do so. If you still have concerns then feel free to pm me. I come from a non amritdhari family and I have been through it, so maybe my experience may be of some help to you.

VJKK VJKF.

Stop being a mommy's boy and take Amrit if you feel ready. Puratan Singhs were not frightened of war or death, it's a shame that these days Singhs are frightened by their mothers.

Respect your parents but Amrit comes first

Guest ladli-fauj

tell your mom she may be into partying and society but society will not go along with her in the end.. Guru Granth Sahib Ji says "The mortal gives up his faith, for the sake of the world, but the world shall not go along with him in the end" a time is coming where people will go look for amrit and not find it, brother i say do it Guru Gobind Singh Ji says Jau Tau Prem Khelan Ka Chau, Sir Tar Talli Galli Meri Itt Marag Pair Dhareeje Sir Deeja Kaan Na Keeje--"If you desire to play this game of love ,Then step onto My Path with your head in your hand. When you place your feet onto this Path,Give me your head, and do not pay any attention to the public's opinion".

Guest gupt singh

I would like to thank everyone who posted a reply in this thread. I have some thinking to do, and I will let everyone here know when I take amrit :)

any more suggestions are always appreciated.

my parents are from jallandhar, they thing bad against nihangs, this had made it difficult for me to take amrit cos I wanna become nihang. Also I am the worst at waking up at amrit vela!

If your really Thirsty for Amrith just go for it..because in reality once your Amrithari your mum can't take Amrith away from you (talking from experience) and the power of ardas is indescribable. In time she'll accept you as Amrithari that's if you decide to take Amrith without her knowledge long as you do ardas from the heart :)