What Method Would You Want Your Body To Be Deposed By?

We need to stop being tree huggers for minute and just follow our traditions which is cremation. one body being burnt isn't going to cause an environmental catastrophe. There are other things going on the in the world which are a 1000 times more damaging for the environment. For starters, stop using your cars. Go to work on a bike or bus. Stop eating meat(factory farmed animals are not good for the environment). Women, stop wearing makeup since most of these products are animal tested.

There isn't 1 body on the planet but 6 billion plus and rising....all of those bodies will eventually need to be disposed of....so it is a very big problem.

Most of the chemicals in your computer were once tested on animals...yet that doesn't stop you from using it....

How were the Guru's bodies disposed? cremation.

Guru Nanaks Sakhi about his body being disposed of favoured neither the methods of Muslim burial or Hindu cremation.

The numerous Sikhs who bravely fought and were shaheed in both World Wars were buried and not cremated....I do see a hullabaloo in getting those bodies exhumed and then cremated 'as per supposed Sikh tradition'

I don't know of any Sikh for the last 500 years who has frozen themselves or buried themselves.

Well now you do.

:)

There isn't 1 body on the planet but 6 billion plus and rising....all of those bodies will eventually need to be disposed of....so it is a very big problem.

Most of the chemicals in your computer were once tested on animals...yet that doesn't stop you from using it....

6 billion? but we are only talking about Sikhs here. There are only about 20 million Sikhs. If cremation is so wrong, were our Gurus, Shaheeds, and Sikhs for the last 500 years all wrong for cremating their bodies? I don't think so and it is their example a Sikh should try to follow. The Gurus were infallible. Whatever they did we need to accept that instead of following new age mat.

I'm not a tree hugger. So driving a car or using a computer is not bothersome to me. But for those who get an itch in the rear end because cremation of their body will some how cause a worldwide environmental disaster then they should be the first to stop using automobiles and computers instead of waiting for death to do their part in helping the environment. Amish lifestyle should seem very attractive do the anti cremation Sikhs.

Guru Nanaks Sakhi about his body being disposed of favoured neither the methods of Muslim burial or Hindu cremation.

The numerous Sikhs who bravely fought and were shaheed in both World Wars were buried and not cremated....I do see a hullabaloo in getting those bodies exhumed and then cremated 'as per supposed Sikh tradition'

Other than Guru Nanak Dev Jee whose body was not found during the last moments, how were the other Guru's body disposed of? What method did the Gurus use when disposing of the bodies of the relations within their own families? cremation. Look at all the Sikh saints since the start, cremation has always been the method of choice.

Other than special cases, Sikhs have always followed the cremation method of disposing the body. Special cases being for soldiers of post Punjab annexation where the British(Christians) started to bury Indian soldiers including soldiers who did not traditionally use burial as a means of disposing the body. This is a Christian and Muslim tradition. Sikhs have their own traditions.

6 billion? but we are only talking about Sikhs here.

You might be, but I wasn't.

6 billion? but we are only talking about Sikhs here. There are only about 20 million Sikhs. If cremation is so wrong, were our Gurus, Shaheeds, and Sikhs for the last 500 years all wrong for cremating their bodies?

Yeah cause the last time I checked people have had access to freeze-drying technologies for the last 500 years, so had a choice between that and cremation.

The Gurus were infallible. Whatever they did we need to accept that instead of following new age mat.

Why don't you follow what the Guru Granth Sahib says on the subject and you might get somewhere.

Other than Guru Nanak Dev Jee whose body was not found during the last moments, how were the other Guru's body disposed of? What method did the Gurus use when disposing of the bodies of the relations within their own families? cremation. Look at all the Sikh saints since the start, cremation has always been the method of choice.

Other than special cases, Sikhs have always followed the cremation method of disposing the body. Special cases being for soldiers of post Punjab annexation where the British(Christians) started to bury Indian soldiers including soldiers who did not traditionally use burial as a means of disposing the body. This is a Christian and Muslim tradition. Sikhs have their own traditions.

I'm not going to deny it's custom for Sikhs to cremate their bodies however it's not a must-have requirement, therefore a choice is allowed.

Like I said before, no-one is pushing for those thousands of buried Sikhs in France to be exhumed and cremated as cremation is not a must-have requirement for a Sikh.

What isn't allowed is the 'worshipping', (I can't think of a better word at the mo) of the dead.

I think A sikh'body can be disposed of in anyway he likes or the more comfortable and respectable situation in the any case.

1. How were the Guru's bodies disposed? cremation.

Ans. Human Being may have his own choice instead of his own religion. human beings prefer those things by their nature which their ancestor used to follow if his religion allow it ( some cases it may not absolute truth). guru ji's religion gave them many choices out which they choose the very thing their ancestor used to. this is a psychological phenomenon. consider an example, sikh religion only ban meat and alcohol . they allow only veg. that means someone can argue that man can eat any food like Chinese, Japanese, Italian food but the condition is that it must be veg. But gurujis did not eat these kind of food. why? their surrounding environment did not allow it. sikh may not eat it these kind of food for other many reasons but not for that gurujis did not eat it! ( I am not against western or non punjabi food . I myself eat Chinese food. sikhs can eat non punjabi food as long as it veg and they are ok with this.

We must enjoy both things guruji's Rahit and freedom given by them just as the child must enjoy both things his study and toys.