Bring Politics To The Gurudwara Sahib

guptkuri

hmmm makes sense...

• rise in patitpuna among Sikh youth - its very evident so I don't think any news/source is needed
  • Sikh girls opting for guys with non-GurSikh appearance - hold on to this till later
  • opponents of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Jee - enough media coverage on this
  • increased RSS attacks on our philosophy/history, be it through academics, media, Bollywood, TV, whatever - check out the 2 hour 16 minute video by Dr. Sukhpreet Singh Udhoke. Will post link later.
  • lack of Gurmat education - this is tied to rise in patitpuna
  • lack of unity among Sikhs thanks to inter-Jathebandi competitions - I'd say hold on to this for now as well?

When i was in Punjab for 3 months stay couple of years ago, I went on a project which was to gather data on everything related to drug use in punjabi youth. I wanted to get first hand data or backup source to present a strong case on Why there is drug abuse, why it can't be stopped and what we can try to minimize this problem. I worked day and night; visiting pind after pind with a paid volunteer. All i can tell you is that it is damn hard stuff and not everyone can do it but in the end i was able to get the whole picture. I won't understand this problem 100% if i learn it from 3rd party sources.

However, my point is that no matter what you hear or what you see or what you read on newspaper.... that will never be a 100% truth (not even 50% if we are talking about India). I have seen reporters making false stories without any source and submitted in front of me and i have seen people with good speaking skill lying for their own publicity stunt to get famous.

Threads like this are very important and the only way to solve problems. I also know that very few people will read or bother to reply as most of our youth are not into positiveness or hard work but rather interested in negativity and easy way out.

If we want to discuss a problem then post a very hard based fact that nobody can question that source. This is the reason why Guru Sahib jee wrote gurbani so that it will stay as our eternal guru who will guide us straight without involving middle man. This is what Jasswant Singh Khalra strong hard work he did with cases of 1980's. If it wasn't for him, we youth would probably saying bad stuff about khalistan today.

Problem 1:

• No Pugh on today's youth.
    Possible reasons:
    1. Patka Trend (My generation)- Youth wearing patka finds hard and embarrassing when time comes for them to wear Pugh. Find data locally to know that how many youth who wore patka successfully started wearing pugh. All my cousins were patka wearing and comes the 17th or 18th birthday they all choose to become mona. Some of my relatives are very firm in sikh values. They are not happy but at same they can't do anything.
    2. Never kept Kesh (Next generation)- Youth are not being guided properly as their parents are not aware of religious teachings and practices. Even if they are little bit aware of but due to lack of resources or efforts they couldn't teach their kids about Sikh dharam.

Solution: What it will be or should be ??

So my request to the sangat is help me every week come up with topics/issues that need to be brought to attention of all Sikhs.

I would strongly suggest you to never ever go upfront with our community. Human find truth bit of bitter taste.For example: if you are about to talk about no pughs on sikh youth, you need to find a way to convey message to the people in assembly so that they don't feel that they or their kids are being targeted. Find an indirect way to convey your message but without offending others or leave this subject until sangat is easy, happy and familiar with your speaking on stage.

Keep between social and religious issues. Compare and give today's problem/solution with guru jees time examples. I am to give my speech in gurdwara sahib, my first topic would be:

Problem: Nature in Punjab is gone ! (how punjab destroyed nature in punjab). Agri land will turn into sand dunes. Proof - Bhagat puran singh's decade work and show Google images screenshot showing how densely populated cities like amritsar, ludhiana, jalandhar are wihout trees for miles and miles..

So, speak on the topic that near and dear to you but at the same time be careful. Good Luck !!

Problem 1:

• No Pugh on today's youth.
    Possible reasons:
    1. Patka Trend (My generation)- Youth wearing patka finds hard and embarrassing when time comes for them to wear Pugh. Find data locally to know that how many youth who wore patka successfully started wearing pugh. All my cousins were patka wearing and comes the 17th or 18th birthday they all choose to become mona. Some of my relatives are very firm in sikh values. They are not happy but at same they can't do anything.
    2. Never kept Kesh (Next generation)- Youth are not being guided properly as their parents are not aware of religious teachings and practices. Even if they are little bit aware of but due to lack of resources or efforts they couldn't teach their kids about Sikh dharam.

Solution: What it will be or should be ??

I think the problem is parents don't help their kids transition. Like they don't teach their kids at the proper age to do their jorda themselves....how long will you depend on mom? I think the best time to teach kids to do jorda is when they start bathing and dressing themselves.

Also we need to make it normal for kids to start wearing dastars around middle school. Parents need to help their children practice how to tie a dastar all summer before they start wearing it to school. So they are cool and confident in a dastar.

Most importantly from very early age keep your kids involved in Sikhi events and camps, so they don't feel alone. The more involved they are in Sikhi, the more likely they are to resist peer pressure to cut their hair.