Need To Start Some Discussions On Studies Also

pasha

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa

Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Dear Members of this solicitous forum,

I want to bring to your attention that the youth is also concerned about the education now a days.

I think we should start a Thread to discuss the details like higher studies and Sikhs in Universities around the world.

Please put forward your points on this.. I am eagerly waiting for your replies.

Satshriakal

I am few classes shy from getting cs degree but I am putting it on hold for few semesters as I am onto other program called Information tech. Management (which is mix of cs and business). I will be going for database line.. Any specific question you have for cs program? In US? if you need guidance picking up classes then let me know.

I actually have a request for help which I posted on TheStudentRoom forums, it's about a Computer Science degree etc. So if anyone who has done something of this line please either respond here or there. Thanks

Oh and the link : http://www.thestuden...44#post35341844

Looking at your post on the other website, I'm not so sure that you would want to get a B.Sc. in Computer Science. This degree is primarily based on programming, you will need to code a lot. I was really surprised to read that you are not a fan of Visual Studio, I have worked with many IDEs and VS is by far the best one out there. If you don't like VS then you won't like anything else out there either. In this day an age, programming without an IDE is unheard of.

Having a degree is always best, however, if a diploma can get you a job that is a decent start. But then what you have to do is, as you work, you have to get certifications as you go to bring your education up to par with the rest. A few years of experience along with the diploma + right certs will give you a hand up against the competition. If networking sounds intriguing to you, look at A+ certification to begin with. There are a number of Cisco certifications which are in high demand for networking folks as well.

I'm not sure how things work in England but that is the jist of things work in American sub continent :)

Thanks for your responses everyone really appreciate it. Yeah i've thinking about wether I would enjoy coding or not and i'll be honest with you I don't mind at all I think. The reason perhaps i've not had a good experience with VS is because we use it at such a BASIC level and in this HND diploma and my game plan is to sign up for the degree (just the Computing Bsc) and then also make sure I get the placement since it's essential for experience purposes. I'll be alright with coding I think, what I might do is I discussed it with some others last night and they said look at job titles etc and job descriptions see the one that will suite you best, call employers and companies and see what they require you to have etc.

Now about the networking and the Cisco/individual certs I can get them at any time I suppose and I can always go on that line and if I get the degree atleast I have something on paper even if it doesn't hold too much importance to companies these days since they want more experience etc (which I hope to get with the placement - i'm going to try get a good useful placement)

So yeah, hopefully that goes well :) Also i'm from the UK.

Again, Thank you very much for the help and advise - I needed it!

• 2 months later...