University Project Help

RSingh209

Hi guys,

I'm doing a university mini project for my final year studying Law and have been asked to do a project in my International Law module, I decided to write about something that is of massive importance to me thus the question I am writing an answer for is (I had to think of the question myself),

'Were the Anti-Sikh Riots of 1984 in India a breach of the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide'

I'm having issues however regarding sources for it with direct reference to it, such as statistics and reaction to the riots from other nations? I would be very grateful is somebody could send me some links to any type of sources which highlight statistics, articles, videos, pretty much anything that will assist me. Also if anybody knows of any books which may help me.

Thank You

WJKK WJKF

No offence Singh but your best start might be to invest in a dictionary. Once you've got one look up the word 'riot'. Then try and figure out whether the word might even slightly be apt to describe an organised, state sponsered ethnic cleansing massacre.

Judging from the poor start you've made on your dissertation with your title may I suggest you choose another subject ?

WSL don't be so harsh, as Sikhs we see it as a Ghullughara/ Genocide or ethnic cleansing. However majority of the world sees it as just that, anti-Sikh riots so it's possible that what op's tutor may say to him. No offense WSL, but you have to see it like a non-Sikh and detach emotionally. International community was hoodwinked into thinking it was just a minority of Sikhs affected. I mean all India has to show is people climing to be Sikh (Brar / KP S Gill), were instumental in the attrocities.

Instead of criticising lets help the brother. Neverforget84.com has lots of info from this tragic era. Good look with your project, maybe you could post a draft in which we could help by proof reading and give suggestions. Personally I think alot of guys would read the draft and provide suggestions. Thats like a students dream to have input from others on a project.

No offence Singh but your best start might be to invest in a dictionary. Once you've got one look up the word 'riot'. Then try and figure out whether the word might even slightly be apt to describe an organised, state sponsered ethnic cleansing massacre.

Judging from the poor start you've made on your dissertation with your title may I suggest you choose another subject ?

WSL first thing don't patronise me and secondly I've actually worded the question like this so it gives me something to answer, and I'm going to strongly argue that the massacre wasn't simply riots, obviously we all know that it was a organised massacre. There's actually a whole section planned onto why the genocide was labelled as riots for covering up purposes.

And Gurd Singh, thank you for your input, much appreciated and if possible I will send a draft...

WSL first thing don't patronise me and secondly I've actually worded the question like this so it gives me something to answer, and I'm going to strongly argue that the massacre wasn't simply riots, obviously we all know that it was a organised massacre. There's actually a whole section planned onto why the genocide was labelled as riots for covering up purposes.

And Gurd Singh, thank you for your input, much appreciated and if possible I will send a draft...

I. not patronising you R Singh. You're only in your final year.....I graduated with a Law degree several years ago. You should appreciate my advice. If, somewhere in the body of your dissertation, you intend to rubbish the very foundation of your dissertation, i.e the question you are basing your dissertation on,,,,,then you seriously need to re-evaluate what your title should be. When it comes to the examiner marking your work, he or she will want to know from you this point : If the title of the dissertation is wrong then why the hell did you use it as a title ?

However, if you were doing a dissertation I'm sure you'd have it almost done by now...or at least be on your 3rd draft. The fact that you're starting a 'project' now......when the whole course is almost over, leads me to believe that this is a small project for a small 10 credit unit. Which takes me back to my original point. That is, if you're grabbing in the dark for help for a small little project....then I suggest perhaps this topic isn't for you.

When you know it was a planned massacre of Sikhs, why would word the question as Anti-Sikh Riots of 1984.

Change the words to Sikh Massacre of 1984 .

Very well said and advised.

If some Sikhs are going to call that massacre as riots

for which justice has still not been done over so many decades,

it is indeed quite shameful and foolish.

WSL don't be so harsh, as Sikhs we see it as a Ghullughara/ Genocide or ethnic cleansing. However majority of the world sees it as just that, anti-Sikh riots so it's possible that what op's tutor may say to him. No offense WSL, but you have to see it like a non-Sikh and detach emotionally. International community was hoodwinked into thinking it was just a minority of Sikhs affected. I mean all India has to show is people climing to be Sikh (Brar / KP S Gill), were instumental in the attrocities.

Instead of criticising lets help the brother. Neverforget84.com has lots of info from this tragic era. Good look with your project, maybe you could post a draft in which we could help by proof reading and give suggestions. Personally I think alot of guys would read the draft and provide suggestions. Thats like a students dream to have input from others on a project.

What do you mean by WSL being harsh?

And why as Sikhs should we," have to see it like a non-Sikh and detach emotionally."

It is better to give the right advice to our brother than allow him to follow the false propaganda

of the indian government. Have some self respect of being a Sikh.

Hi guys,

I'm doing a university mini project for my final year studying Law and have been asked to do a project in my International Law module, I decided to write about something that is of massive importance to me thus the question I am writing an answer for is (I had to think of the question myself),

'Were the Anti-Sikh Riots of 1984 in India a breach of the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide'

I'm having issues however regarding sources for it with direct reference to it, such as statistics and reaction to the riots from other nations? I would be very grateful is somebody could send me some links to any type of sources which highlight statistics, articles, videos, pretty much anything that will assist me. Also if anybody knows of any books which may help me.

Thank You

WJKK WJKF

Excellent topic - i would strongly recommend you get in touch with Ensaaf - they've done and are still doing some really good work regarding this and i'm certain they will be able to direct you to the details/facts/figures you're looking for. Here is their website : http://www.ensaaf.org/