Turkiminstan Airlines - Disgrace

Hammertime007

Turkmenistan has been widely criticised for human rights abuses and has imposed severe restrictions on foreign travel for its citizens.Discrimination against the country's ethnic minorities remain in practice. Universities have been encouraged to reject applicants with non-Turkmen surnames, especially ethnic Russians. It is forbidden to teach the customs and language of the Baloch, an ethnic minority. The same happens to Uzbeks, though the Uzbek language used to be taught in some national schools.

According to Reporters Without Borders 2011 World Press Freedom Index, Turkmenistan had the 3rd worst press freedom conditions in the world, behind North Korea and Burma. It is considered to be one of the "10 Most Censored Countries". Each broadcast under Niyazov began with a pledge that the broadcaster's tongue will shrivel if he slanders the country, flag, or president.

Regardless of whether they fly to Amritsar, given the similar plight of Sikhs in India, with a diplomatic record like that, why would anyone want to fly with this country anyways??

Cheap and cheerful if you willing to risk it!

Well....cheap, definately. Not so sure about the cheerful.

But I'm amazed at the 'cheapness' of some of our people. I've got some uncles who can only be described as very rich, but when it comes to flying to Punjab, and confronted with simple choices, its amazing to see how they make their choice.

Put it this way : They want to go to Punjab.....They search for tickets....and they are confronted with these choices :

1) They can go with Qatar Airways, with only an hours stopover at one of the world's lovliest airports. i.e they can go on a truly 5 or 6 star airline with cutting edge of service and cutting edge of modern, safe aircraft....for £600

2) They can go with British Midlands Aiways. Safe, secure, modern aircraft...part of the Lufhtansa group....for £600....or;

3) They can with an airline from a despot former soviet republic......with a 4 hour stopover in a hell-hole. An airline with a safety record so bad that you can't buy tickets for it from registered ABTA travel agents. An airline with aircraft so old and so broken that no other airline would deem them safe, and in air service to match......for £550

Yes. For the sake of saving £50 our people are willing to put both themselves and their young children through hell...and pick number 3. :stupidme:

Guest KopSingh

Well....cheap, definately. Not so sure about the cheerful.

But I'm amazed at the 'cheapness' of some of our people. I've got some uncles who can only be described as very rich, but when it comes to flying to Punjab, and confronted with simple choices, its amazing to see how they make their choice.

Put it this way : They want to go to Punjab.....They search for tickets....and they are confronted with these choices :

1) They can go with Qatar Airways, with only an hours stopover at one of the world's lovliest airports. i.e they can go on a truly 5 or 6 star airline with cutting edge of service and cutting edge of modern, safe aircraft....for £600

2) They can go with British Midlands Aiways. Safe, secure, modern aircraft...part of the Lufhtansa group....for £600....or;

3) They can with an airline from a despot former soviet republic......with a 4 hour stopover in a hell-hole. An airline with a safety record so bad that you can't buy tickets for it from registered ABTA travel agents. An airline with aircraft so old and so broken that no other airline would deem them safe, and in air service to match......for £550

Yes. For the sake of saving £50 our people are willing to put both themselves and their young children through hell...and pick number 3. :stupidme:

LOOL west london singh, ur absolutly right, nothing pees me off more than seeing our parents/relatives in a bazaar/market in panjab haggling over 50-100 rupees?!!!!

also have u seen the security at the airports of these former soviet states (turkmenistan/uzbekistan)? the guards stan there with AK-47, which r longer than the average panjabi warrior. oh n lets not forget the £10 water bottles (russian evian etc). its a joke ting.

By the way bro while im here, r u by any chance a former user and contributor of bbc asian network messageboards? ur knowledge and talk seem very familiar to a guy on there.

cheers

By the way bro while im here, r u by any chance a former user and contributor of bbc asian network messageboards? ur knowledge and talk seem very familiar to a guy on there.

cheers

Bruvs, I wouldn't know a bbc asian network even if a bbc asian network came to me right now, bit me on the bottom and said "hello...i'm a bbc asian network" with a sign aroung its neck saying he's the bbc asian network.

Back to the tread though.....We Enland sikhs need to know how lucky we are. We're so lucky but yet we're still to unpadh and thick to understand how lucky we are. Just like us...our brothers and sisters in California and Canada wanna visit Punjab too. To get there, however, they need to buy very very expensive tickets, with stopovers, that go through either London or the far east, if going the other way. wise men say "you don't know what you've got 'till its gone". Never was this saying truer than the situation we here have with Qatar Airlines. We....the England Sikhs....are so fortunate that we have the worlds best airline with worlds newest aircraft with worlds best service flying direct from London to Amritsar BUT......there's been so many Sikhs from England wanting to save £3.59 pennies by prefering to fly on a deathtraps that Qatar airlines is thinking of scrapping the Amritsar route.

Now...Think about this for one moment. Qatar was willling to place its Amritsar route adverts in one of the most expensive advertising slots in the universe. it palced them in between premier league football games that were seen by the entire globe, through murdoch's affiliates. Our American and Canadian cousins can only dream about a direct flight to Amritsar with the a luxury airline at a reasonable price. And there;s there's us : the UK sangat. The sangat that live in tiny houses that cost 4 times as much as the big houses of the other sangat but are willing to lose the route just so we can save the equivelent of a dib dab, a mars bar, a packet of cheese and onion and a 4 pint bottle of milk.

Bruvs, I wouldn't know a bbc asian network even if a bbc asian network came to me right now, bit me on the bottom and said "hello...i'm a bbc asian network" with a sign aroung its neck saying he's the bbc asian network.

Back to the tread though.....We Enland sikhs need to know how lucky we are. We're so lucky but yet we're still to unpadh and thick to understand how lucky we are. Just like us...our brothers and sisters in California and Canada wanna visit Punjab too. To get there, however, they need to buy very very expensive tickets, with stopovers, that go through either London or the far east, if going the other way. wise men say "you don't know what you've got 'till its gone". Never was this saying truer than the situation we here have with Qatar Airlines. We....the England Sikhs....are so fortunate that we have the worlds best airline with worlds newest aircraft with worlds best service flying direct from London to Amritsar BUT......there's been so many Sikhs from England wanting to save £3.59 pennies by prefering to fly on a deathtraps that Qatar airlines is thinking of scrapping the Amritsar route.

Now...Think about this for one moment. Qatar was willling to place its Amritsar route adverts in one of the most expensive advertising slots in the universe. it palced them in between premier league football games that were seen by the entire globe, through murdoch's affiliates. Our American and Canadian cousins can only dream about a direct flight to Amritsar with the a luxury airline at a reasonable price. And there;s there's us : the UK sangat. The sangat that live in tiny houses that cost 4 times as much as the big houses of the other sangat but are willing to lose the route just so we can save the equivelent of a dib dab, a mars bar, a packet of cheese and onion and a 4 pint bottle of milk.

ITS SIMPLE GET VIRGIN OR BA TO DO A DIRECT FLIGHT FROM BHAM OR LONDOON TO AMRISTAR EVERYONES A WINNER