Sikh Family Receives Death Threats In Us

NEW YORK: A Sikh family in America has received an anonymous letter that threatens to kill its members for being "associates of the Taliban", prompting authorities to launch a probe into it.

The letter, addressed to the 'Turban Family', said the family is being closely watched and it should leave the US immediately.

"Our people in the neighborhood have been closely watching your activities and figured out you are a close associate of a secret Taliban movement on the US soil. We ask you to leave the country as soon as possible otherwise one of our people is going to shoot you dead. Don't attempt to relocate somewhere else in America as people are closely monitoring your day to day activities," the letter said.

The identity of the family, which lives near Virginia, has not been released.

Local authorities are working with the FBI to investigate the threats in the letter sent to the family last week.

The Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF) said the Sikh family had previously been the target of similar hate crimes.

In 2003, the family's home was vandalised with graffiti and it received two threatening letters. In 2005, they received two more death threats through mail.

Inter-faith groups have spoken in support of the family, calling on the authorities to investigate the threats as a hate crime.

"Incidents like these are constant reminders of the challenges that Sikh Americans face as a result of our unique identity. In the absence of awareness about who we are and what we stand for, Sikh Americans continue to endure harassment, discrimination and threats which run counter to the American ideals," the SALDEF said in a statement.

KhalistaniGunMan ... agree to sum extent but filling their houses with firepower isn't that giving these people more cause for concern ... ie now the guy normally goes about his daily life next thing you know hes tooling up and fortifiying ... isnt that just confirming (giving them a reason) to think yep we've got one ... think the best thing is to contact the police explain the situation and the tool up ....

ANd yep americans ive noticed r out of the loop but so are the british i had a lady on the weekend ask me why i keep my beard ... i told her and we got into this cnvo and then i realsied she thinks im MUSLIM .. had to explain it to her .. found out her curiosity (thats all it was this time thankfully) was down to her watching the hanel 4 program ... make bradford british ... i wonder when theres gonna be a program call make Luton Islamic - oh sorry bristish

Bhul chuk Maff

Actually, this type of racism spans the world mate. I have been to the US lots of time, and sure there are regions in America which are less educated than others, but are you telling me such regions don't exist in UK? If you think they don't, you're deluded. In addition, I don't think it's fair to blame the people as much. If they had the right kind of education in their curriculums raising awareness on religions like you have in the UK, then things might be better. But even those that have the education in the UK and everything, you can't stop a racist being a racist.

I think they should put up a banner outside which reads

Our people in the world have been closely watching your racist activities and figured out you are a close associate of the devil himself on this planet. We ask you to get an education and then a job as soon as possible otherwise one of our people is going to have to open a school for low lives like yourself. Don't attempt to relocate somewhere else in America to bother other Sikhs as we are already educating m0r0ns such as your group.