Scandalous From Bbc Asian Network!

Guest KopSingh

Guest KopSingh

How many people here listen to his programme or the Asian Network on a regular basis? How many have an opinion on what is discussed regardless of whether it has anything to do with Sikhi or not? How many people have text/emailed/phoned in an opinion as a Sikh on whatever random topic may be being discussed?

See I ask all those questions as it's easy to jump up and down when something like this happens but then when a response is sent into the station, it is either ignored or taken in the wrong context. It has been said too many times on this forum itself that we as a panth need to get a lot more savvy in regards to how we deal, interact and communicate with the world, especially the media.

If anyone does listen to the station on a regular basis then maybe you should voice an opinion on regular subjects that are being discussed and start getting yourself recognised as a regular contributer, that way when a topic/comment related to Sikhi comes up naturally your comments will hold a lot more weight (as an example Jasminder comes to mind but for all the wrong reasons).

I remember listening to a discussion in which Navreet Singh (Coventry) made some points from a Sikhi point of view, the confidence and conviction with which Navreet Singh made his points had such an impression that Nihal stated that he'd like to have Navreet Singh as a guest on his show.

It's kind of obvious from the points made by various members of this forum that there may be a bias/sensationalisation of topics/comments, it's time to start getting clever and use this platform to our advantage rather than being told we don't know our own religion by a radio presenter.

LOLthat jasminder from london is a sanatanists and blatant racist, hes said various times, sikhi is part of hinduism, but fair play 2 him he can quote verses from various holy books, especially korans contradictories.

^ that's my point, even though we may not agree with Jasminder, he gets to have his say as he has taken the time to represent Sikhs (in his own way, not representative of Sikhs worldwide), if WE want to be heard I'm afraid we're going to have to play them at their own game. Take time to call in, give opinions on other random topics, get your name out there and then when it matters they may take time to listen to you.

How many people here listen to his programme or the Asian Network on a regular basis? How many have an opinion on what is discussed regardless of whether it has anything to do with Sikhi or not? How many people have text/emailed/phoned in an opinion as a Sikh on whatever random topic may be being discussed?

See I ask all those questions as it's easy to jump up and down when something like this happens but then when a response is sent into the station, it is either ignored or taken in the wrong context. It has been said too many times on this forum itself that we as a panth need to get a lot more savvy in regards to how we deal, interact and communicate with the world, especially the media.

If anyone does listen to the station on a regular basis then maybe you should voice an opinion on regular subjects that are being discussed and start getting yourself recognised as a regular contributer, that way when a topic/comment related to Sikhi comes up naturally your comments will hold a lot more weight (as an example Jasminder comes to mind but for all the wrong reasons).

I remember listening to a discussion in which Navreet Singh (Coventry) made some points from a Sikhi point of view, the confidence and conviction with which Navreet Singh made his points had such an impression that Nihal stated that he'd like to have Navreet Singh as a guest on his show.

It's kind of obvious from the points made by various members of this forum that there may be a bias/sensationalisation of topics/comments, it's time to start getting clever and use this platform to our advantage rather than being told we don't know our own religion by a radio presenter.

I text and email in constantly whenever an issue piques my interest (or mostly issues affecting Sikhs).

When there was talk of the AN closing down and they had a representative from the BBC trust in the studio, I actually sent in a similar email to what I wrote on the first page of this thread which was read out. There was silence, an uncomfortable clearing of throats and a "Some more emails from listeners...".

They know very well what they do and why they do it. For them it's a bit of fun to get people riled up and calling. It's what the likes of Jon Gaunt use to do on Talksport a few years back and what Nick Ferrari does on his LBC show. Like you said, sensationalist nonsense which is permissable when you're discussing issues such as immigration, terrorism, etc.

But when you start talking about people's faith and you don't have a proper grounding in whatever is being discussed, AND the underlying desire is to get people at home to enter verbal conflicts so the discussion can progress, THAT'S when it starts to take the mick.

Theologically I'm not an expert on Sikhi by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a little to have a discussion on a forum where I can think before I type. In the pressurised situation of a phone-in I'd most likely say something inaccurate or misleading OR something which might be misinterpreted. You don't really want to do your faith and yourself a disservice by coming across as a mug on national radio due to nerves. Well, I don't. :biggrin2:

Eventually I hope I will feel confident enough to phone-in and "do a Jasminder" but before then I really would need to know my stuff. That's why I'm on this website.

Guest KopSingh

^ that's my point, even though we may not agree with Jasminder, he gets to have his say as he has taken the time to represent Sikhs (in his own way, not representative of Sikhs worldwide), if WE want to be heard I'm afraid we're going to have to play them at their own game. Take time to call in, give opinions on other random topics, get your name out there and then when it matters they may take time to listen to you.

im jus still annoyed at how nihal refused 2 b educated and acted like sum sort of giani, tryin 2 giv me gyaan ON MY RELIGION, wen i had corrected the kuttha. And his bandari sidekick didnt help either. By stating our religion is a mish mash of other faiths, hes saying that our gurus were jus basically not enlightened and plageurists

im jus still annoyed at how nihal refused 2 b educated and acted like sum sort of giani, tryin 2 giv me gyaan ON MY RELIGION, wen i had corrected the kuttha. And his bandari sidekick didnt help either. By stating our religion is a mish mash of other faiths, hes saying that our gurus were jus basically not enlightened and plageurists

You were wondering why you were on QC? That post above is a good example of why...

Guest KopSingh

You were wondering why you were on QC? That post above is a good example of why...

im an angry yung man, growin up in dirty areas, it makes us have short fuese i reckon. 2ndly dont wana sound horrible, but i was talkin 2 'Hazoor', thanks. Tell me wat else shud i call a couple who defamed r faith live on radio by stating sikhi has taken bits n bobs of other faiths. I CARE OK!

BBC AN love to debates on current affairs or previous days TV programs. Maybe we should text, e-mail and phone them ASAP to have tommorows debate on a TV programme I'm watching now. It's on C4+1 so it started on channel 4 at 22:55. It's titled "Sri Lanka's killing fields". I've lived in London there have been many Tamil protests even at Westminister, don't know if they were covered in the debate at 13:00 on BBC AN. But lets ask Nihal to cover this issue tommorow.

If you not seen this programme check it out on 4OD. I just seen footage of a solider murdering at point blank range naked handcuffed man in the back of the head. A tamil tiger news broadcaster raped and murdered. This is dispicable but also footage of a 12 year old son of LTTE leader, arrested, interegated and then executed.

C4 have had the footage verified also.

OMG! it's like what happened in Punjab