Is this normal in canada????

Jhajaroo

Taken from Sikhnet discussion board:

By sukhisikh

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....C2?OpenDocument

Sat sri akal.

I have a very troubling issue i would like to address. I attended a wedding at the india cultural Centre of canada Gurdwaraa nanak niwas, at 8600 No. 5 rd, in richmond, BC, last saturday. Hundreds of guests filled the gurdwara, without covering their heads! i was shocked, and deeply saddened to see such a display of disrespect to our sacred guru gransahib. Men, women and children, all entering, and sitting in the gurdwara, with their heads uncovered. My eyes welled up with tears - i have never seen such an atrocious site, anywhere in the world. The guests who did not believe they should cover their heads were not strangers to our values - the majority of them were sikhs! I adressed my concerns with a man, who was in charge at the gurdwara, to which he replied, "Koi Gal nahin. Jaan deo". I later found out that visiting this gurdwara with your head uncovered is a common practice. Something should be done about this issue. This is as heinous as entering a mandir without taking your shoes off. Please sikhs around the world, please unite and take a stand - protect our values and beliefs for future generations - Do not let anyone treat our god with disrespect!

--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this normal in Gurudwaras there in canada??? I had a great image of canadian gurudwaras as I saw many amazing canadian sikhs in this forum.

Please look into the matter.I think we should take some action against this disrespect.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

My cuzin goes to that gurdwara sometimes, and I just asked him if that was true, and he agreed that there are some ppl that go inside the darbar with their heads uncovered. I asked him why he doesn't do anything about it, and he said he's scared about what someone might say to him. no.gif Anyways.... I told him to talk to those ppl that dont cover their heads and explain to them that what they are doing is wrong. I have never been to this gurdwara myself, since i live in surrey not in richmond. Oh yea... my cuzin says everyone eats on tables and chairs.

Bhull Chuk Maff

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guest noonespecial

If I'm not mistaken, this is more well known as Gurudwara Number 5 in BC. I really don't even know if it's an ACTUAL Gurudwara. I was told that it was mainly made as a venue for weddings. They have a langar hall downstairs and people eat there and then there is the Darbar Sahib upstairs. I wouldn't doubt if people are there with their heads uncovered...

..and yes, something SHOULD be done about it.

Is this normal in Gurudwaras there in canada??? I had a great image of canadian gurudwaras as I saw many amazing canadian sikhs in this forum.

Why are you so quick to jump to decisions??? If its one gurdwara, doesn't mean it happens in every gurdwara in Canada. nonono.gif

Singhs/Singhnis from B.C. should definately look into this, put up signs, etc. This is pathetic.

Guest vikramkhalsa

One thing that should be done and can be done easily is hat a sign should be posted by the enrtance saying u have to cover your head,take off your shoes,etc.

wjkkwjkf!

hahah well that gurdawara mainly consists of moderates which are ppl who sit on tables and chairs and youl see less fundamentalists ther well ive been ther for a weddin and ppl jus dont give to cover ther head but thats onli common in the moderate gurdawaras like surrey gurdawara and the richmond one and ross street...

wjkkwjkf!