Sarbloh Bibek According To Taksal

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee and Bibek

Everything is from this site: http://gurmatbodh.blogspot.ca/2012/01/bhagat-jaswant-singh-jee-on-bibek.html

http://gurmatbodh.blogspot.ca/2012/01/sant-gurbachan-singh-jee-khalsa.html

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee all their life kept a Strong Bibeki Pehra. Daas had the chance to Talk to a few of Sant Jee's students, one being Bhagat Jaswant Singh Jee (of http://gursevak.com). I asked them if Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee kept Sarbloh Bibek. What Bhagat Jee said was originally Sant Jee did keep Sarbloh Bibek and did so for a while. They only stopped when they got really old but still went all over India to do parchar. With an old body and the amount of travelling they did it became hard for them to keep Sarbloh Bibek, but nonetheless they still kept a strong Bibeki Pehra. They would only eat food made by Amrit Dhari Singhs that was made while they recited Bani. Bhagat Jee said the entire Jatha was bibeki and only ate from Amrit Dharis. Infact the Laangri Singhs and Degh Sevadaars were very strict Bibeki Singhs. When they were doing Seva they never spoke anything but recited Gurbani and did jaap of vaahigurooo vaahigurooo vaahigurooo.

Sant Gurbachan Singh in their writings and Katha make it clear how important Bibek is in Sikhi. Sant Kartar Singh writes about Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee's Bibeki Pehra:

ਜੇਕਰ ਮੋਨੇ ਜਾਂ ਸਿਗਰਟ ਪੀਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਦੇ ਹਥੋਂ ਲੰਗਰ ਦੀ ਕੋਈ ਮਠਿਆਈ ਆਦਿਕ ਬਣਦੀ ਤਾਂ ਨਾ ਆਪ ਛਕਦੇ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਜਥੇ ਨੂੰ ਛਕਣ ਦਿੰਦੇ। ਆਪ ਜੀ ਸੁਚਮ ਪਵਿੱਤਰਤਾ ਬਹੁਤ ਰਖਦੇ ਨਾ । ਕਦੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ਜੂਠਾ ਖਾਂਦੇ ਤੇ ਨਾ ਹੀ ਖੁਵਾਉਂਦੇ। ਚਾਹ, ਅਫੀਮ ਆਦਿਕ ਨਸ਼ੀਲੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ਦੇ ਵਰਤੋਂ ਦੇ ਸਖਤ ਵਿਰੋਧੀ ਸਨ ।

If a Mona, or someone that smoked made any langar, sweets, etc. Sant Jee would not eat it or let any of the Jatha eat it. They kept a lot of cleanliness. They would never eat any Joot or let anyone else in the Jatha eat any Joot. Sant Jee were against the usage of Cha (Tea), Opium and other intoxicating drugs.

1.jpg

Importance of Sarbloh

Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee keeping the importance of Sarbloh says that during an Amrit Sanchar all utensils used should be of Sarbloh. The Baltee, Garva, Bate, Karahee,Khanda, Kirpan etc. everything that is used to make Degh and Amrit should be of Sarbloh. Degh should always be made in Sarbloh, with a Sarbloh Karaahee, Sarbloh Karshee. When Bhog is done the Kirpaan should be of Sarbloh.

Prashad9-Prasahd9-400x400.JPG

Bhagat Jaswant Singh (Student of Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee) on Sarbloh Bibek

Bhagat Jaswant Singh Jee (Lovingly called Bhagat Jee) is a student of Sant Giani Gurbachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale, here he shares his views on Sarbloh Bibek. Below is the original from one of their Books, and a Humble translation:

"ਜਿਸ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਦਾ ਸੱਚੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਭੋਗ ਲੁਆਇਆ ਹੈ,ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਕਿਉਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਖਾਂਦੇ? ਪਦਾਰਥ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ, ਜੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਮਰਿਯਾਦਾ ਸੁੱਚਮ, ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਦਾ ਪੂਰਨ ਪਹਿਰਾ ਨ ਹੋਵੇ, ਤਾਂ ਆਪਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਗੁਰਮਖਿ ਬਿਬੇਕੀ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਨ ਕਹੀਏ,ਆਪਣੀ ਸੋਧ ਕਰੀਏ ਜੀ"

That food even it has been blessed by Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee (i.e. Kirpan Bhet), but it was not made according to complete maryada and utmost cleanliness was not kept while making the food,and Sarbloh Utensils were not used, then we should not tell a Bibeki Gursikh, to eat that food, instead we should correct ourselves, and make the food in Sarbloh, with complete maryada and cleanliness.

Bhagat Jee then shares some more thoughts on Sarbloh Bibek, they are presented below with translations:

"ਨੌਨ ਸਟਿਕ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ, ਸਟੀਲ, ਪਿੱਤਲ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਤਿਆਗ ਕਰੋ ਜੀ, ਕੇਵਲ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਵਰਤਣੇ ਬਹੁਤ ਹੀ

ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹਨ..."

Here Bhagat Jee says to never use non-stick, steel, or brass utensils, only use sarbloh utensils. Bhagat Jee says it is very important to use Sarbloh utensils.

399373_133145280137247_100003253262463_150999_917831393_n.jpg

"ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਦੀ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ: ਪਰਮਪੂਜਨੀਕ ਸੱਚੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿਆ ਜਾਣ ਕੇ,

ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਨੂੰ ਮਹਾਨਤਾ ਦੇਣੀ ਚਾਹੀਦੀ ਹੈ।ਹੱਥੀਂ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਚ, ਆਪ ਬਣਾ ਕੇ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਛਕੋ। ਸਰਬਲੋਹ

ਚ ਬਣੀ ਦਾਲ਼ ਕਾਲ਼ੀ ਕਹਿ ਕੇ ਨਫ਼ਰਤ ਨ ਕਰੋ।ਵੱਡਭਾਗੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੀ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਦੇ ਪਤੀਲੇ ਚ ਦਾਲ਼ ਸਬਜ਼ੀ

ਬਣਾਉਣ, ਮੱਠੀ-ਮੱਠੀ ਅੱਗ ਤੇ ਰਿੰਨ੍‍ਣ,ਅਤੀ ਸੁਆਦ ਬਣਦੀ ਹੈ ।"

The Greatness of Sarbloh- Recognize that Sarbloh Bibek is a great gift given to us by Guru Jee so because of this we should respect and recognize the greatness of Sarbloh Bibek. Don't get turned off by the colour of food made in Sarbloh, i.e daal turns a blackish colour. Daal and Sabzee made in Sarbloh is extremely tasty!

"ਪੂਰਨ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਗਿਆਨੀ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ, ਭੈੜੀ ਤੋਂ ਭੈੜੀ ਚੀਜ਼ ’ਤੇ, ਮੰਦੀ

ਨਿਗਾ ਪੈਣੇ ਕਰਕੇ ਭ੍ਰਿਸਟ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਆਪ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਛਕੋ ਛਕਾਉ,

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੋ ਜਪਾਉ, ਭੈੜੀਆਂ ਬਿਮਾਰੀਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਬਚੋ ਬਚਾਉ। ਇੱਕ ਤਾਂ ਚੀਜ਼ਾਂ ਭੈੜੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਦੂਜਾ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਵਾਲੇ

ਤਮਾਕੂ ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਬੈਡ ਕ੍ਰੈਕਟ੍ਰ ਹੋਣੇ ਕਰਕੇ, ਹੋਰ ਭੀ ਭੈੜੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਆਪ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਛਕੋ ਛਕਾਉ..."Bhai Gurdas Jee writes that even the dirtiest and dirtiest of things can be made even dirtier when a bad person looks at them, in this Shabad:

ਮਦ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਿਧਾ ਪਾਇ ਕੈ ਕੁਤੇ ਦਾ ਮਾਸੁ॥

The meat of dog cooked in the wine was,

ਧਰਿਆ ਮਾਣਸ ਖੋਪਰੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੰਦੀ ਵਾਸੁ॥

Along with its foul smell, kept in the human skull.

ਰਤੂ ਭਰਿਆ ਕਪੜਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਜਣੁ ਤਾਸੁ॥

It was covered with blood stained cloth.

ਢਕਿ ਲੈ ਚਲੀ ਚੂਹੜੀ ਕਰਿ ਭੋਗ ਬਿਲਾਸੁ॥

Covering thus, the scavenger woman (chuhari) after appeasing her lust was carrying that bowl.

ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਏ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਲਾਹੇ ਵਿਸਵਾਸੁ॥

On being asked about (the abominable covered material) she cleared the doubt,

ਨਦਰੀ ਪਵੈ ਅਕਿਰਤਘਣੁ ਮਤੁ ਹੋਇ ਵਿਣਾਸੁ ॥੯ ॥

By saying that she had covered the meat to hide it from the sight of an ungrateful person to avoid its pollution.(9)

Bhagat Jee is saying that Langar made today in a Gurdwara is made by those that smoke,drink, and have bad character, so for this reason this food should not be eaten by Gursikhs. So Gursikhs should prepare langar in Sarbloh and eat that.

"ਪਰਮਪੂਜਨੀਕ ਧੰਨ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮਹੱਲੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਤਕਰੀਬਨ ਸਵਾ ਤਿੰਨ ਸੌ ਵਰੇ੍‍ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਲੋਹੇ ਦੇ ਬਾਟਿਆਂ ਚ

ਛਕਣ ਦੀ ਮਰਯਾਦਾ ਬਣਾਈ, ਅੱਜ ਡਾਕਟ੍ਰ ਲਬਾਟ੍ਰੀ ਟੈਸਟ ਕਰਕੇ ਦੱਸਦੇ ਹਨ...ਮਹੱਲੇ ਦਸਵੇਂ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਅਮੋਲਕ ਸ਼ੁਭ ਸੱਚੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਲੋਹੇ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡਿਆਂ ਚ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਬਣਾਉ ਅਤੇ ਛਕੋ ਜੀ। ...ਸਰਬਲੋਹ ਚ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਬਣਾ ਕੇ,ਕੱਢ ਕੇ ਮਿੱਟੀਚੀਨੀ ਦੇ ਭਾਂਡੇ ਚ ਰੱਖੋ।"

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee started Sarbloh Bibek Maryada 300 years ago, Guru Jee knew the health benefits of cooking and eating in Sarbloh, these same benefits are only now being discovered by Doctors. This is Hukam of Guru Jee for his Sikhs to cook and eat in Sarbloh. After making food in Sarbloh it should be stored in Mitee or Chinee vale Bhande.

"ਬਿਬੇਕ ਦਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਬਣਾਉਣ ਤੇ ਛਕਾਉਣ ਲਈ ਬਰਤਨ ਚੰਗ਼ੀ

ਤਰਾਂ ਰੇਤੇ ਸਾਬਣ ਨਾਲ ਮਾਂਜੋ।ਹੱਥਾਂ ’ਚ ਚੂੜੀ, ਛਾਪ ਨ ਹੋਵੇ।

ਨਲਕੇ ਜਾਂ ਟੂਟੀ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਬਣ ਨਾਲ ਚੰਗੀ ਤਰਾਂ ਸਾਫ਼ ਕਰਨਾ।

ਫਾਰਮੀ ਘਿਉ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ।ਬਜ਼ਾਰ ਦਾ ਬਣਿਆਂ ਪਨੀਰ,ਪਕੌੜੀਆਂ,

ਸੇਵੀਆਂ,ਦਹੀਂ ਚੀਨੀ ਕੱਚ ਦਾ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣਾ।ਲੰਗਰ ਬਨਾਉਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਸਾਰੇ

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰੀ ਹੋਣ ਜਾਂ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਛਕਣ ਦਾ ਵਾਅਦਾ ਕਰਨ।ਧਰਮ ਪ੍ਰਚਾਰਕ ਜੱਥੇ ਪੰਜ

ਪਿਆਰਿਆਂ ਲਈ ਚਾਹ ਪੱਤੀ ਬਿਲਕੁਲ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਰਤਣੀ।ਇੱਥੋਂ ਤੱਕ ਚਾਹ ਵਾਲੇ

ਭਾਂਡੇ ’ਚ ਜਲ ਪਾਣੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਨਾਉਣਾ ਤੇ ਚਾਹ ਵਾਲੇ ਹੱਥ ਕਿਸੇ ਬਰਤਨ ਨੂੰ

ਨਹੀਂ ਲਾਉਣੇ।ਲੰਗਰ ਤਿਆਰ ਕਰਕੇ ਇੱਕ ਥਾਂ ਰੱਖ ਦੇਣਾ ਵਰਤਾਉਣ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ,

ਜੱਥੇ ਦੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਪ ਕਰਨਗ਼ੇ।ਸੁੱਚ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਤਾ ਦਾ ਖਿਆਲ ਰੱਖ਼ਣਾ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਾਦਾ ਤਿਆਰ

ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ ਪੈਰ, ਮੂੰਹ ਆਦਿ ਨੂੰ ਹੱਥ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਾਉਣੇ।"

To make Bibeki Langar the utensils should be properly cleaned. Those making langar should not be wearing jewellery (i.e bangals, rings etc.). Wash the water pump or where ever you get water from properly with soap and water before using the water. Food that is made outside like paneer, pakoria, seveean should not be used. Use home made version, use home made butter. Everyone that is making langar should be amrit dhari or should promise to take amrit soon. Those that do Seva in Panj Pyare are not allowed to drink Cha at all, infact they should not even use the utensil that has ever been used to make cha. If cha is made for the rest of the sangat, the person making it should not touch anything else. After making the Langar, the sevaadaars should leave it in a clean place. Singhs of the Jatha (Jatha Bhindran) will distribute it themselves. Whilst making the food, the sevadaars should never touch their face, feet, etc.

60196_1422791775403_1400989776_31077465_3883504_n.jpg

This is a great post. Some may think it is only AKJ or Nihangs that keep Sarbloh Bibek, but this Rehit has been kept by many other Gursikhs.

It is clear that the level of Rehit in the Sikh Panth is declining. The 2 main points that the Sikh Panth needs to focus on is dietary bibek and the parkash of lareevar Guru Granth Sahib in all gurdwaras.

Satguru Mehar Karan.

Sarbloh bibek its very good to have, no sane sikh can be against it or do parchar against it. However that being said, its recommended but not mandatory in path of sikhi, those who are on it, i have extreme respect for those who understands bibek fully and keep it... but unfortunately like everything else, if one idolize it and wrap its surti around it,it opens to karam kaand which is totally condemned in sikhi...just read no further--read sri akaal ustat sahib.

Most sarbloh bibek mahapursh knows an extreme fine line and strike very fine balance between keeping sarbloh bibek and not making it as mere karam kaand. Unfortunately, usually mahapursh begineer chelas or its student do not fully understand bibek..hence, their one foot lies on sarbloh bibek and other foot lies on karam kaand.

In words of sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale in the katha who also keeps strict bibek and cook his own food he mentioned in the katha- he goes proffesor sahib ji neh res kar kaie bibek rakh laieya, katar ban gaya, he wouldnt even eccept food from his own wife.. whats point of this sarbloh bibek? that sarbloh bibek with no levels of exceptions caused daily kalech khanna in his ghars, sarbloh bibek instead of making his jivan ucha, made his jivan kalech khanna because levels of bibek was fully ignored.

Bhagat Jaswant Singh Ji, is exteremly chardi-kalah mahapursh. This is my own personal experience about 10 months ago..i decided to hike grouse mountain in BC in preparation of hiking in hemkunt sahib next year. Those who know bhagat ji, they do hiking quite often. I decided to hike up, i only made it 10% and my body gave up, i start descending then out of nowhere i met bhagat ji with one of sevadar whom i wanted to meet in my BC trip..its one of precious moment in my life..i consider to be miracle. I didn't see his picture prior to trip,,didn't know how he looked like, but when i saw him without talking... deep inside i felt it was bhagat ji, i reconfirmed if he was bhagat jaswant singh ji, he advised - das nuo bhagat ji kehnde neh..i was quite happy...i told him that i was going down, i only made it 10%..he encouraged and motivated me to go back and reach the summit with him..he goes- singha patt kardaie javan gaie...during 4 hrs of recitating patt on and off. we all made it to the summit...during my recollection of events, i did see him- drinking water..rightly so it was plastic bottle...he knew it be impractical to take sarbloh glass with him in the hike....i am only sharing this because - bibek needs to be understood...mahapursh who have kept sarbloh bibek knows how to keep sarbloh bibek without idiolizing it and wrapping its surti around it.

Another example-

Sant baba jawala singh ji harkhowale was very close with sant baba Gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale.. baba jawala singh ji when he lived with udasi mastana fakir after getting premission from his murshid/gurdev - baba aya singh ji hoti mardanwaley..he got so intoxicated with naam rang living with mastana fakir... he toook off all his clothes... sat on a river in naam masti

rang..upon hearing this baba aya singh ji advised him to take amrit again that not that he committed any kurahit or broke any rehit or guru maharaj was not happy but only because sant baba jawala singh ji's students may not get this kautak and may go astray... levels of rehit/bibek are for students (like us) to be honest...it can not be pushed down in throats of mahapursh..mahapursh according to their will.

They can adapt any three natures- danaie, divane, mastaine..this has nothing to do with avastha of bhramgyani. Bhramgyani avastha is one and same.

I know if sakhi above was narrated to people who have black and white notions...they may not understand it..since they have notions of black and white..they will either say this sakhi is false or say sant baba jawala singh ji harkhowale committed kurahit/manmat taking all of his clothes with kachera, kirpan which is quite expected because they are not aware of grey as everything is "one dimensional or black and white". They would also reach similiar conculsations towards other mahapursh ie- sant baba atttar singh ji mustaneywale, baba nand singh ji , baba isher singh ji rara sahib.

Lastly people who use gurbani to prove sarbloh bibek is must, are misguided, when gurbani talks about bibek is bibek buddi and also example of hans were given how they discriminate their food from worms, given updesh to human to discriminate good from bad- gyan from ignorance/avidya

You cannot use gurbani to prove importance of sarbloh just as you cannot use gurbani to prove importance of 5 kakaars.

Yes bibek in gurbani is really about bibek budhi, although dietry bibek is one aspect of total bibek. However gurbani does give clues to not eat from non devotess (non gursikhs) look into updesh from gurbani on gurmantar heenus individuals (those without gurmantar).

However gurbani does give clues to not eat from non devotess (non gursikhs) look into updesh from gurbani on gurmantar heenus individuals (those without gurmantar).

I totally agree.

But the problem arises when joe blow sikh youth, confine gursikhi with their tribal mentality to their "tribal group" or "tribal perception" .

Looking at the sad state of affairs in youths.- If vahiguroo ji transcedent itself in form of - raja janak, bhagat pipa, bhagat ravidas, bhagat sadhna, bhagat ramanand, bhagat kabir, bhagat namdev, baba farid offer food or parsad to the youth...i won't be surprised if youths would reject the offering just because they don't fit in their "tribal perception" and would justify their rigid belief in sarbloh bibek.

But if chardi-kalah "looking" singh wearing dumalla with sarbloh shastar, sarbloh kara whose jevan may or may not be as "nang foola" "sajjan thag" , come join new age youth sarbloh bibeki's- they be welcomed to share food amongst other..not just share food but share - "naam jhapiya too".

MiddxSingh wrote

I understand your point but if we are serious about our sikhi then we should try and keep outer and inner sikhi to the max. This would mean keeping rehit and not forgetting the most importance thing which is increasing naam/bani kmayee.Of course dekhava (show) is not sikhi at all.

Totally spot on..totally agree.!!!